Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished up my PPS25DA. Traded with a member here for it and a super nice 365. Needed a clutch cover and bar. Got the usual and it runs very nice. I'm gonna get a good loop on it the safety chain was just to test. 150psi, perfect internals. This one is an '88 I thinkView attachment 420757View attachment 420758View attachment 420759

Nice one Joe! This is Mike's on the left, mine on the right. His has the AV, mine does not. Mine is a 1996
The only difference I see in yours and mine, is they changed to a full length, one piece clutch & muffler cover.
And the ring on the handle.

S25DAampAV007_zps35e9ca44.jpg

S25DAampAV010_zps61d534a6.jpg

Nice one Joe! This is Mike's on the left, mine on the right. His has the AV, mine does not. Mine is a 1996
The only difference I see in yours and mine, is they changed to a full length, one piece clutch & muffler cover.
And the ring on the handle.

S25DAampAV007_zps35e9ca44.jpg

S25DAampAV010_zps61d534a6.jpg
I remember the video you guys posted. I had another one before this one too. Ran just as good but it was a tree service saw so it had some wear. I sold it after I found the one above. I think I have all the generations now, I'll have to post some pics up

a
I

I start at 1 turn open for each. Adjust from there. For a muff mod, you may have to set the hi a little rich. Best bet is to get it to 4 stroke but clean up in the cut. Don't expect high rpm's as 10,500 is pretty good.
and it runs. not strong yet, gotta get it broken in. ah, the satisfaction that comes with totally rebuilding a saw.

I remember the video you guys posted. I had another one before this one too. Ran just as good but it was a tree service saw so it had some wear. I sold it after I found the one above. I think I have all the generations now, I'll have to post some pics up
You guys have any luck extending the cylindrical hollow studs that the clutch cover mounts to on the S25 series? My clutch cover seems to come off the studs resulting in a loose chain. Tried prying them out but they won't budge. I haven't tried heating the case yet.
Bob

I picked up a few saws today, one of which is an S25DA. This my first 25. They aren't too common around me, especially the Poulan branded ones.

Runs very well, oils auto and manual I'll need to get an air filter as the one in it was turned to dust.

Missing one or both bar plates. I know that was discussed some time ago but, is there just an inner or is there an outer plate as well?

S 25DA 4-25-15.JPG S25DA 4-25-15.JPG

You guys have any luck extending the cylindrical hollow studs that the clutch cover mounts to on the S25 series? My clutch cover seems to come off the studs resulting in a loose chain. Tried prying them out but they won't budge. I haven't tried heating the case yet.
Bob

How far are the roll pins sticking out of the case? I can measure the ones on the saw I just picked up if you like.

I picked up a few saws today, one of which is an S25DA. This my first 25. They aren't too common around me, especially the Poulan branded ones.

Runs very well, oils auto and manual I'll need to get an air filter as the one in it was turned to dust.

Missing one or both bar plates. I know that was discussed some time ago but, is there just an inner or is there an outer plate as well?

View attachment 420981 View attachment 420982

Wow! Nice Super 250 Tim. :yes::wtf:

Seriously, it is a nice one. I had to replace the filters on most of mine also. They just crumble over time. I THINK they are suppose to have 2 bar plates. But like has been said, its a tight fit getting two of them in that sandwich.

Sounds like Bob is having a problem similar to that also. I try to get both in mine, but I wouldn't swear that they all do at the moment. Some of mine were missing as well.

Gregg,

How far are the roll pins sticking out of the case? I can measure the ones on the saw I just picked up if you like.

I'll have to measure but with the bar on there is hardly room for the outer plate. Funny ,this is the only one of my six S25variants that had both plates. Seems like the cover slips off the rear stud. If I could extend it out a bit I might be " shi#%><€ in high cotton".

Rather than pulling on them, why don'y get an allen head caps crew that it's a snug fit in the roll pin without expanding it, grind the length of the head down to suit and then remove it and lock in place with some JB Weld?

Poulan may have put some kind of epoxy on them in the first place but who knows?

I know that's not like the right length pin but at least you won't break something trying to pull them back.

Thanks Gregg. I have been keeping an eye out for one and found that in a pile of saws. I was surprised it fired right up. The carb was badly adjusted. Low not out quite enough and the high was out over two turns.
I will have to make up the bar plates (getting good at that) and order an air filter. It needs a duck bill for the gas cap as well and I just used my last one on another saw.

What size bar do most people run on these? It's got a 14" on it now which will likely stay on it.

I think I got fooled. It's not 250cc. I should have guessed.

Thanks Gregg. I have been keeping an eye out for one and found that in a pile of saws. I was surprised it fired right up. The carb was badly adjusted. Low not out quite enough and the high was out over two turns.
I will have to make up the bar plates (getting good at that) and order an air filter. It needs a duck bill for the gas cap as well and I just used my last one on another saw.

What size bar do most people run on these? It's got a 14" on it now which will likely stay on it.

I think I got fooled. It's not 250cc. I should have guessed.

I never made a bar plate. Guess it should be fairly easy though. At least good enough to serve the purpose.
I like a 14" bar on them. I think I have a 16" on that yeller & black one though. Just happened to have it for another saw at one time. Wild thing I believe. They seemed to handle either equally well. If I was gonna do a lot of firewood cutting with one, I'd pick 16" Just trimming stuff and light work, 14" I guess.

Gregg,

I have been keeping an eye out for one and found that in a pile of saws. I was surprised it fired right up.

I have one here I parted out instead of rebuilding. If plates or plate is there they are yours. Anything else?

I recently picked up some rings for my s25da from overseas. The Caber ones. They were not the 1 1/2 x 1/16".

It took awhile to convince the seller as both the later and earlier part number were listed for the rings and they are not compatible. They had way too much clearance as Hotshot had pointed out. The listing has been updated to reflect this.

I just wanted to mention in case some some of you had equipped or were going to equip these on the old green machines.

When you could actually go into s Poulan service center and buy new parts, did you complain about the prices? If said parts were available today reproduced or NOS priced accordingly, would you buy them or not? Examples 5200 series air filter 245 series air filter isolator mounts etc. Just s question

Back