Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder if that one was specifically for the Simpson Sears store in Toronto? Def haven't seen that design of sticker either.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Sears had an arrangement with the Robert Simpson department stores in 1953 before Sears opened any of their stores in Canada. The partnership with Sears was dissolved in 1978 but many of the Simpson Sears stores carried the name into the 1980's which may explain why not too many of this brand was labelled as such. The Simpson's stores disappeared in the 1990's after the Hudson's Bay Co. bought them out in 1978.

Sears had an arrangement with the Robert Simpson department stores in 1953 before Sears opened any of their stores in Canada. The partnership with Sears was dissolved in 1978 but many of the Simpson Sears stores carried the name into the 1980's which may explain why not too many of this brand was labelled as such. The Simpson's stores disappeared in the 1990's after the Hudson's Bay Co. bought them out in 1978.
As always, coming back with a great little history lesson. Thanks for the knowledge. Doubt I'll ever run across one of those, or the Canadian Tire versions though. :/

Nice saw! Does it have a chain brake? I think I see a handle peeking out of the grass, but my eyes aren't what they used to be. How well does it run?

It's for sale so I don't own it. The guy doesn't want much for it but I have a bunch now so I'm hesitating. If it's still around when I get back to the GTG in Indiana I might cave on the purchase.
It does have a brake on it, mag cover and the balance of the parts are steel so even though it doesn't add much weight the perceived weight is very noticeable.

Wanted to share this with a member here. finally got around to mounting it
16bd7ed5d1ed52a25905714311122d3d.jpg

View attachment 435181 View attachment 435180 View attachment 435179 View attachment 435178 Found this Poulan at a garage sale this morning. No ID except for a serial number. 11513123.
Bore measures out to be 68cc. Thin ring. Any way to tell which model?

It is not a 3400 if it has thin rings. You calculations tend toward a 4000 although it does not have the typical air filter cover. The starter assembly is different on a 4000. Pull the cover and post a pic, as the pawls on the flywheel are different for the 4000. There are posts on the 4000 assembly that Redunshee commented on. Can't seem to link.

Nice find if it is a 4000 under there.

You weren't lyin'! That tree is a big one. Can def see how 15+ came out of that one so far. I SO need to get my saws out and cut some. It's been a little too long! I'm almost ashamed of myself. Haha

Although I do not own one, my guess (thin ring and L-shaped starter pawls) is you found a 3700.
I agree. After searching this thread I found some reliable bore specs from members here. 3700 is 1.875. My best checks showed 1.869 plus or minus a hair. Close enough for me. Think I'll get a new piston, rings and seals before I do anything with it.

we will be cutting a few tops next week as well. Trying to get the one piece back home that is 6 plus feet and cut board feet with it.

I was going to say 3700 too, especially from the looks of the muffler. 4000 has a side exit.
The Canuck 4000 I picked up last fall did not have a factory side port on the muffler for some reason. It is the same two piece cover as a couple of my 3400's. Perhaps they ran out at the factory during that run? Needless to say, I need to do something about that and try the machine out.

I haven't even run the saw into a log yet. Embarrassing.

Latest posts

Back