Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Canuck 4000 I picked up last fall did not have a factory side port on the muffler for some reason. It is the same two piece cover as a couple of my 3400's. Perhaps they ran out at the factory during that run? Needless to say, I need to do something about that and try the machine out.

I haven't even run the saw into a log yet. Embarrassing.

Haha, when you have several saws sometimes it takes a while to run em all! Who knows on the muffler, they could have swapped it out too if something happened to the other one.

Anybody done any cutting lately? I haven't done a lot, but we did take down a bunch of trees recently to have a shop built.

View attachment 434830

Havn't touched a saw in quite a while. We seem to get one day a week, if we are lucky, that it hasn't rained this summer. I don't own a boat any more, so can't get in the flooded wood lots...:(

Gregg,

Havn't touched a saw in quite a while. We seem to get one day a week, if we are lucky, that it hasn't rained this summer. I don't own a boat any more, so can't get in the flooded wood lots...:(

Gregg,

Was up at the river again this weekend but didn't do any cutting. Ran a Bobcat for the first time though haha! Had to back fill a bunch of dirt around the outside of the shop that was built to level the
ground back out and so they can pour the concrete floor next week.

Wanted to share this with a member here. finally got around to mounting it
16bd7ed5d1ed52a25905714311122d3d.jpg

Hey, I got one that looks just about like that. ;)

3400New005_zps68a1aa1f.jpg

Gregg,

I agree with Hoggwood... You most likely have a 3700, if its not a 3400. Your measurements might be a little off. Those midsize Poulans only came as 56cc 61cc & 64cc. The 4200 was 69cc, but thats a whole nother animal.

Gregg,
Did 3400's come with thin rings? I understand 3400 bore at 1.810. 3700 at 1.875. What I measured was a few thousands from the latter. Way over the 3400.

Did 3400's come with thin rings? I understand 3400 bore at 1.810. 3700 at 1.875. What I measured was a few thousands from the latter. Way over the 3400.

3400 did not come with thin rings to my knowledge. I'm pretty sure you've got a 3700 there from the black air filter cover and muffler. But measuring the piston is the best way to really find out.

This is all good information and I'm learning a lot. I do have a question: I'm traveling so I can't go out and pull starter covers, but which Poulan 3400-4000 series have the extra metal engaging "sprocket" attached to the plastic rope spool that contacts the flywheel? Are these for the more robust saws, like the 3700/3800/4000 saws and the PP 375's? Also, was there a place/time in production when the black air cleaner covers on 3700/3800 saws became vented as opposed to non-vented? Thanks, and I'm very glad I was directed to this thread. Max.

This is all good information and I'm learning a lot. I do have a question: I'm traveling so I can't go out and pull starter covers, but which Poulan 3400-4000 series have the extra metal engaging "sprocket" attached to the plastic rope spool that contacts the flywheel? Are these for the more robust saws, like the 3700/3800/4000 saws and the PP 375's? Also, was there a place/time in production when the black air cleaner covers on 3700/3800 saws became vented as opposed to non-vented? Thanks, and I'm very glad I was directed to this thread. Max.

Pretty sure the 3700 black top was always vented and the black top on the 3800 and Craftsman 3.7's were not vented.

The metal to metal recoil setups were usually found on the 64cc versions of these saws. There was another version, which I don't have a pic of, and don't own one, that has two metal pins to engage the flywheel dogs. Here is a pic of the setup that I have seen on all my 4000 Poulans. My 3700 and Craftsman 3.7 both have the plastic recoil engagement. I can't recall off hand which version my PP375 has on it. I will check when I get out there, if I can remember. :confused:

4000007-1.jpg

4000017.jpg

Gregg,

Well, I went out and checked..My PP375 has the exact same metal to metal setup as the 4000 uses. Like the picture above. Which makes sense, since all the rest of the parts on the PP375 & 395 are the same as the 4000. Side outlet on muffler, high top air cleaner setup, heavy duty recoil, etc. These were the last of this line of saws.

As far as the filter cover being vented or not. All green Poulan 3700's were black and slotted as far as I know. The red Craftsman 3.7 version had black non-slotted cover as I know. Now, as many of these saws, in all their versions that were made over the years, you are likely to find many parts that have been changed, swapped, cobbled together, to keep them going. Just about everything on them will interchange parts amongst them. The only things that have to match, are the piston/cyl. Recoil match up with dogs on the flywheel etc.

You can build just about any combo of a saw from all these models. Which I have done by the way. LOL :D
I put together a saw from spare parts I had, for a friend of mine. The crankcase is from a 3.4 Craftsman, recoil parts from a 3400, rear handle was from an early 3400 with the small hole rear mount, that i drilled out to accept the "hex" mounting bolts etc. Its just a mish-mash of parts. So you are likely to find most anything out there, that people might have cobbled together. I'm sure I'm not the only person to have done it. LOL Dang things runs real good too!!.

4000-5200008.jpg

4000-5200004.jpg

4000-5200009.jpg

Gregg,

Why are these so hard to work on? Do the carbs get so gummed up just sitting for a little while, what should I look for? Checked and replaced fuel lines and filters etc already. Had both carbs apart just to check screen etc. I can't even get them to pop.
30bc99a3cc4bf3bc850212345a54d21a.jpg

Why are these so hard to work on? Do the carbs get so gummed up just sitting for a little while, what should I look for? Checked and replaced fuel lines and filters etc already. Had both carbs apart just to check screen etc. I can't even get them to pop.
30bc99a3cc4bf3bc850212345a54d21a.jpg

I do know that the strato saws require a lot more needle openings. Had a 4018 that was at least 2 1/2turns open. May try that though it should at least pop

Latest posts

Back