Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always try to take a Dremel or die grinder and a stone with a pointed end to the broken bolt so you can get a decent surface on the end of the broken bolt and drill a small hole and use a small EZ out to get it out and then have the guy weld it up and re-drill and tap.

I have had luck with welding a washer and nut to the broken bolt and then turning them out after everything cools down. Sometimes have to do it a couple times.

Pretty quiet in here
02284b6456f265e431b214eecb451cd2.jpg
picked these up thanks to a great member.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Found a welder who says he can weld up my 3000 cylinder. I'll have to drill and tap the repair myself. Plan to bolt up the back half of the muffler to be sure I scribe the correct spot to start drilling. Also figure out best wAy the find the center of such a small circle.

Did you ever get the broken bolt out?

Steve
Not really used my Dremel and some bits but could never see the broken bolt. Not sure if if it was ever in there. Have depth almost equal to the good side though I may have to use a somewhat shorter bolt when I'm done. Maybe 1/16 th to 1/8 "shorter.

Use a drill press when drilling out. I finally have a stand up drill press and I am so happy with it.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Plan to bolt up the back half of the muffler to be sure I scribe the correct spot to start drilling. Also figure out best wAy the find the center of such a small circle.

Try this unless a machinist can give you something better

Bolt the muffler up with the one good bolt tight enough so it won't move too easily but loose enough so you can shift into the correct position.
Take a little fast dry spray paint and spray through the bolt hole in the muffler onto the flange.
Let the paint dry enough so you can mark it.

I would take something with a fine sharp point that so you can see exactly where you are going the mark the paint as close to the middle of the circle possible.

Pull the muffler and see if your happy with where the mark is in the circle, center punch and drill.
Use a small diameter drill that will slip easily into you center punch mark and drill in a bit and then your tap size drill to follow it up.

You could also try marking intersecting line with a scribe.

If your not happy with where you've marked the hole, touch it up with more paint and try again.

I would try to square the cylinder up on your drill press and drill the hole using the depth stop on the press. It helps a lot to get a hole in the right plane and stops over drilling the depth.

Latest posts

Back