Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you guys separate the case halves on poulan 2000 (Micro) saws...My case splitter won't even fit in the small space of the bearing seat. Home brew type of puller or bfh???

How do you guys separate the case halves on poulan 2000 (Micro) saws...My case splitter won't even fit in the small space of the bearing seat. Home brew type of puller or bfh???

It should just pull apart. There are two locating pins and the case haves are stuck sometimes with the sealer they used. Some gentle taps should get it going.
There are 7 screws holding the case halves together (just in case you may have missed one).

It should just pull apart. There are two locating pins and the case haves are stuck sometimes with the sealer they used. Some gentle taps should get it going.
There are 7 screws holding the case halves together (just in case you may have missed one).
Yep, got all 7 of 'em out. Little turd must just be really stuck together. Was afraid of breaking the castings to get it apart.
Thanks,
Jim

It's actually bright orange. 3400, 3700 and 4000's at one point were orange for the Canadian market. It took me 2-1/2 years to find that one. The black and green 8500's were US market saws. The ones for the Canadian market were orange and black at some point. The 8500 in the pic is likely a US saw as there is no operator presence lever on it. The father of one of the members here in BC has an orange / black 8500 and I think @Acornhill has one.

The 4000 below was assembled at the Skil plant in Toronto. They wouldn't have be known for their paint quality. I have a re Craftsman 3700 built in the US and the paint is much better.

4000b.JPG orange 4000 A.JPG

It's actually bright orange. 3400, 3700 and 4000's at one point were orange for the Canadian market. It took me 2-1/2 years to find that one. The black and green 8500's were US market saws. The ones for the Canadian market were orange and black at some point. The 8500 in the pic is likely a US saw as there is no operator presence lever on it. The father of one of the members here in BC has an orange / black 8500 and I think @Acornhill has one.

The 4000 below was assembled at the Skil plant in Toronto. They wouldn't have be known for their paint quality. I have a re Craftsman 3700 built in the US and the paint is much better.

View attachment 589768 View attachment 589769
That's awesome! Definitely unique pieces! I'll have to track down one eventually for my collection.

That's awesome! Definitely unique pieces! I'll have to track down one eventually for my collection.

Apparently the Poulan distributor for Ontario (the province where I live) said they sold a ton of them but you'd never know it by the number of them that show up for sale. The big countervibes are another story. He said very few were sold in Ontario

Yep, got all 7 of 'em out. Little turd must just be really stuck together. Was afraid of breaking the castings to get it apart.
Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

There are little bosses on the case. At the rear towards the bottom where the cylinder attaches and at the front where the lower case screw attaches that stand proud when the case is together. I used a piece of hardwood and a little hammer to alternately gently strike these to get the sealant to let go. A pain in the butt but eventually the sealant lets go.

Just a helpful tip. If you tip the connecting rod to the side too much the rollers will fall out at the crank end. The rod can actually be removed from the crank this way. They aren't too bad to get back in with some grease holding the rollers in place but it's an exercise better avoided.

Jim,

There are little bosses on the case. At the rear towards the bottom where the cylinder attaches and at the front where the lower case screw attaches that stand proud when the case is together. I used a piece of hardwood and a little hammer to alternately gently strike these to get the sealant to let go. A pain in the butt but eventually the sealant lets go.

Just a helpful tip. If you tip the connecting rod to the side too much the rollers will fall out at the crank end. The rod can actually be removed from the crank this way. They aren't too bad to get back in with some grease holding the rollers in place but it's an exercise better avoided.
Thanks Tim....
I was kinda headed down that path but wasn't sure how much of a beating the little nubs would take. Will proceed with caution

I've always liked the style of Poulans, just hated they have so much plastic in them. If they had used a metal handle/frame assm and plastic gas tank and metal clutch cover, it would have made the saw better.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Those days are long gone. That particular series are very sturdy saws. I believe the 3000's with the brake were still mag clutch covers.

I've got the old crapsman gray 2800 version, I believe I bought it new in the early to mid 80's. Still got the owners manual but like a dummy I didn't write the date down on it.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Daym, I had something close to that on a 306 that some hind end put nuts on #12-24 studs, screwed them in & tightened
the nuts down against the muff can, & then proceeded to weld the nuts & bolts & can all together in two globs down
inside the muff. Took me a half an hour with a Dremel & carbide bits to undo all that crap.

The cylinder walls were in very good shape, so I didn't want to ruin it. If it was scored up I'd a thrown it out rather than grind...

Maybe it was the same guy , LOL :chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back