Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both sound good Tim.

I always use same chain or at least same new chains for apple for apple comparison. So chain isnt a factor and making sure tuned at their best for testing.

Getting ready to do a 036 cant remember if base gasket is in or not mm broke in, 380 warmed over no base gasket mm 1st tank, 3450 t3 stock mm base in 1st tank,
then some 54cc 3450 broke in stock 180psi, 330 broke in stock. All same chain in baseball bat type dry hardened ash and then pine cants.

This is the first year I've cut any firewood that wasn't dry white ash. When I went to the NY GTG they have some green cottonwood or some other Aspen. It kind of made my jaw drop at how fast that stuff cut.

That stuff makes good kindling, plus it don't go to waste. Action is slowly picking up here, must to have been something caused by the eclipse for this thread to get quiet.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

I rather cut green wood, well that's all I cut for firewood, then i let it sit and season. Only dry wood I cut is pine the pine beatles have killed. It don't take long for the chain to start getting dull. I always carry 2 backup chains and one extra saw.

This is the first year I've cut any firewood that wasn't dry white ash. When I went to the NY GTG they have some green cottonwood or some other Aspen. It kind of made my jaw drop at how fast that stuff cut.

Agreed there.
Those type woods = so dont tear up those gtg chains they make up.
When I went to a gtg in Ind we raced in shag bark hickory. I broke out the work chains and put the good stuff away.

That stuff makes good kindling, plus it don't go to waste. Action is slowly picking up here, must to have been something caused by the eclipse for this thread to get quiet.

I like burning that stuff. It burns fast and hot. I only have fires in the fireplace so heat isn't an issue. I just don't have enough space to store that much fast burning wood.

You don't want to drop rakers in the dry hard stuff we have up north. The chain chatters like a school girl. I get few chances to get any softwood at all. Just about everything that comes down in the city is hardwood or soft hardwood like box elder or silver maple. At least silver maple splits if you squint your eyes at it.
I quite often get the crap that no one wants because it's too hard to split. Good workout for me.

White and red oak is what I try to cut, unless a big tree has dropped, it gets burn too. Sweet gum takes a few years to season, wet wood. Poplar pops and hisses a lot while burning, not good for an open fireplace.

Well, I've been out cutting again. Went last Sunday for another round of sticks. Again, today.

I brought a couple of other saws to run on Sunday. I was initially interested in running a fresh 026/260 I recently put together. Started with a 3000 just to get warmed up. As you may tell from the group shot, only one saw managed to get in on the action when all was said and done. Oh well, 026/260 can just stay orange with envy until next time. Darn 260 rings from the stihler cost more than what I have in this one 3000 - lol.

Brought a couple of helpers to move some rounds. No surprise we saw the Bighorns again. So tame. They wandered right over to the truck when we pulled over to visit on the way down. Hard-pressed to find a better way to spend an afternoon.

Hope you all are getting some saws dirty.

Sept 24 2017 (4) 4.jpg Sept 24 2017 (1) 1.jpg Sept 24 2017 (7) 7.jpg

You have it too good Cory, I hope you realize that and enjoy it while it lasts.

Mark
Thanks Mark. Those two seem to be growing up faster than a couple of trees on the West Coast. You blink and you miss it. The best part is they still think their dad is pretty hip and cool. Got to like that.

Found out what happened to my 4000 carburetor
99a06016841f59648e4d5563394e5faa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back