Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've been out cutting again. Went last Sunday for another round of sticks. Again, today.

I brought a couple of other saws to run on Sunday. I was initially interested in running a fresh 026/260 I recently put together. Started with a 3000 just to get warmed up. As you may tell from the group shot, only one saw managed to get in on the action when all was said and done. Oh well, 026/260 can just stay orange with envy until next time. Darn 260 rings from the stihler cost more than what I have in this one 3000 - lol.

Brought a couple of helpers to move some rounds. No surprise we saw the Bighorns again. So tame. They wandered right over to the truck when we pulled over to visit on the way down. Hard-pressed to find a better way to spend an afternoon.

Hope you all are getting some saws dirty.

View attachment 604343 View attachment 604347 View attachment 604346

Your girls are sure getting bigger. I'll bet they're happy they're not moving elm rounds.

got a question for ya all i just pulled the 3.7 craftsman out the other day to show my neighbor how good old saws were he had a new cs 590... some big Australian pine... any ways i gassed it with new 89 octane 40-1 and it fired right up but after one cut it was set way to rich did not sound right.. so i adjusted it around to where it was four stroking and just cleaning up in the cut... shut it off and the muffler was smoking.... i stopped right there as last time it was run a year ago it cut fine in green oak....I have not had time to mess with it yet....i do not really use my old saws to cut hard but i was kinda ass hurt i could not back up my mouth.....the biggest saw i have is this basically a poulan 3700....ya all think i shoulda let her warm up longer?air leak? the saw has a good piston and cylinder i dont wanna smoke it.....anything i should look for?it did not sound right at all after it hit wood....i put it up and pulled out my cs 400 thats modded and cut with it and he cut with his new cs 590....ya all still use these older saws alot ... the last 60 cc class i had was a ms361 sold it for lack of use.....i dont do many huge take downs ...think i may put another 60 cc saw in my line up and shelf the old ones for good....it did not sound like it was having an air leak issue.... just running hot....any ideas?

I run my old ones, as long as I can get parts, it will get ran. I don't have but one shelf queen and it the first saw I bought new in 1983, a 2300av. One of these days I might replace the top end a run it now and then but other than that she stays in the case. Son inlaw got me a sda that I will go through in in the winter and it too will be a runner. Did you possibly have some old fuel mix in the tank?

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

I may have to look into that p/c upgrade for my 2800. Got to get done with what's on it bench. Now that I got my 3700p/c, I'm kind of wanting to put the 5200 to the side and work on it. Man, had to decide with one I want to work on, like having a mood swing, work on one for awhile, then want to mess with the other on mid build.

i did but i dumped it first.... i dont think i hurt it i will peek at it soon....it started and ran and idled fine today before it started raining..... but no load i just fired it up and let it idle and rev it then it started to pour....i was going to stick it in wood and see if it did the same as the other day....i have about 3 micros style saws i run and one s25da the rest are all on the shelf.....i have way more then i could ever run ... right now i have a cs330t acs 355t 2 cs 400s and an 009l mint and a 021mint...i just sold all my other saws that i had and now they are all pretty new....i have a beater poulan pro micro i use all the time it always starts.....i will check the piston before i run it..... maybe the Diagrams were still stiff....i was only wanting to spank his new saw .......but im smart enough to know it was not running right.... shut it off and put it away....for the day.maybe the carb had some varnish in it...making it run hot? I wont run it again till i peek at the piston.

This is a ceder about big as i normally do...

Attachments

• 20170911_193001.jpg
    20170911_193001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
Maybe you need to tune it a little richer Stubnail. I have a lot of those old Poulans 3700,3800, 395, and 4000 and I use them. If the saw is 4 stroking and then goes to 2 stroking when in the cut then you should not be lean from a vacuum leak. A little smoke from the muffler does not necessarily mean it is running lean.

It won't hurt to look at it. Old fuel can do wonders in a carb. My old 2800 had sat in the barn for over ten years before I pulled it down to inspect how much damage it had from a limb that fell the wrong way. Only needed the rear handle. Searched on eBay for a few months til I found one that took rubber mounts. Then I decided to split the case cause the oil tank was leaking. After all was done, I pulled the carb down. Still soft inside from running real 2stroke oil at 16:1 and real gas, before etho crap come out. All it needed was just a good washing to get the old oil out and she was good to go. Only ran it for 30 minutes cutting up a old tree that had fallen. That was 7 years ago. Before it ever gets ran now it will need new lines again, carb kit and crank seals.

Maybe you need to tune it a little richer Stubnail. I have a lot of those old Poulans 3700,3800, 395, and 4000 and I use them. If the saw is 4 stroking and then goes to 2 stroking when in the cut then you should not be lean from a vacuum leak. A little smoke from the muffler does not necessarily mean it is running lean.

got ya.... im going to look it all over ... the last thing i want to is mess up a saw thats that age and still in good shape.....40-1 should be fine yes? i used to run 32-1 but the last year i run everything at 40-1 no problems so far ....i usually will retune the carb unless its one of the ones i run all the time.... the smaller ones....

Back