Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve's right. It's in the cap. Yours is likely missing. Typical 530026119 duck bill should be in the center of the cap inside.

I thought It would be also but nothing in cap, just solid, I have a cap from a similar craftsman and I see the duckbill, but nothing in this one, maybe last owner changed it out but it's slightly smaller then the one with the duckbill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my pp255 it is in the left side on the tank. It is a sintered plug on the outside with a duck bill on the inside of the tank. You have to remove the handles to see it.

I have a poulan 361 that is eat up with corrosion internally. Is there any parts that I should take off and sell other than the muffler?

I don't know that any of those parts will fetch much money but I would save everything I could. How about the piston, cyl and rod? Are they still good? The piston is the same as a 306 if I remember right. Save the complete ign, flywheel, clutch, oil pump lines and fittings as the 90's have check valves in them. The carb can be used on many Poulan saws, 306 etc and they don't have the governor in them. Make sure you save the fuel line bulk head fitting as those are sought after to retrofit to 4200 style saws.

As of this last weekend, I have all my wood cutting, splitting and stacking done for the year. Been busy at work too so was glad to get this all done as I will not be able to do this stuff for a while after the first of November.

I have been using the Craftsman's best 3.3 I rebuilt quite a bit on the woodpile here at the house. It was given a minor quicky port job, base gasket delete and muffler mod. It really woke up after about 4-5 tanks of gas through it and really runs strong with a .325 18" setup on it. A real joy to use actually. Starts great, idles great and handles great.

It cuts pretty fast with the 20LPX chain but I picked up some 20BPX chain for it as these logs have been rolled in the dirt and skidded some before they made it to the house. I didn't get to use the BPX yet but will before the next time. I think it will be better and hold a edge longer in this type of cutting.

20170614_140012 (Custom).jpg

I don't know that any of those parts will fetch much money but I would save everything I could. How about the piston, cyl and rod? Are they still good? The piston is the same as a 306 if I remember right. Save the complete ign, flywheel, clutch, oil pump lines and fittings as the 90's have check valves in them. The carb can be used on many Poulan saws, 306 etc and they don't have the governor in them. Make sure you save the fuel line bulk head fitting as those are sought after to retrofit to 4200 style saws.

I know the carburetor too bad corroded. The piston is stuck at the bottom of the stroke. So the cylinder may be okay. It looks like the saw was stored in a very corrosive environment. I will save what is good. Thanks

purty saw.

That one was #3

Above #1 and here is #2.
Both with 325 16" LPX I really like after all the 325 testing during chain build off on CR.

Yep they impressed me. ;)

Same saw basically as the poulan 335 predator in my research on CR. Pred had chain brake clutch cover.

c33v.png c33vv.png

thanks Tim. @James Miller. make a note.
I honestly forgot about this thread. Was here before with some 2000/2300 questions.IMG_20170326_164102.jpgI should have a P/C for the 2300 this week it will probly be my climbing saw when I start playing with the harness and spurs I picked up. I'll get some of that line for the 3.4 and it will probly be a backup to the ported 590. Thank you for bringing me back here Steve.

I have one more question on the 3400 if I mod the muffler with a tube out the side like a 5200 should I close the factory openings?

Attachments

• images (4).jpg
    images (4).jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 18
I have one more question on the 3400 if I mod the muffler with a tube out the side like a 5200 should I close the factory openings?

The two rear corner outlets equal a total area of 4" by 3/16" which is 0.75 square inch area . This is 22.05% of displacement . The diffuser has 18 holes 1/4" diameter and that equals 0.882 square inch . This is 25.94% of displacement . The six internal baffle holes equal 0.50 square inch which equals 14.78% of displacement . If you need more flow then I'd open up the six internal baffle holes . You can get the flow without the extreme noise with a rear outlet design .

I did a little test on a 3700. Added side port (like a 4000 muffler) to the muffler case and drilled the diffuser holes out 1/16" dia larger. That seems to be the common mod most people on here do. The stock exit holes were left as is.

Same bar and chain, same saw, same wood, stock against modded muffler. The vid showed about 1/10th of a second diff. One could assume it made no noticeable difference to cutting speed at all. The noise definitely increased.

I've come across three different hole design diffusers on those models. If I recall, the hole area was different on the three.

Every saw is different and some saws benefit more than others. My 026 and 036 had very small exit holes and they definitely benefitted. The 3400 - 4000 series, I'm not so sure.

I'm am sure that quite a few people would disagree.

Whatever the outcome, it's always fun to fiddle around with them looking for a little more power.

I did a little test on a 3700. Added side port (like a 4000 muffler) to the muffler case and drilled the diffuser holes out 1/16" dia larger. That seems to be the common mod most people on here do. The stock exit holes were left as is.

Same bar and chain, same saw, same wood, stock against modded muffler. The vid showed about 1/10th of a second diff. One could assume it made no noticeable difference to cutting speed at all. The noise definitely increased.

I've come across three different hole design diffusers on those models. If I recall, the hole area was different on the three.

Every saw is different and some saws benefit more than others. My 026 and 036 had very small exit holes and they definitely benefitted. The 3400 - 4000 series, I'm not so sure.

I'm am sure that quite a few people would disagree.

Whatever the outcome, it's always fun to fiddle around with them looking for a little more power.
Tim, I've done the same thing and enlarged the diffuser holes. Sounds good but not sure there is an appreciable performace improvement.

Back