Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can change that without removing the tank cover, your a better man then I am. ;)

Just take the top off, make sure you have the proper size screwdriver to fit the tank screw. Pry it off carefully trying not to tear the gasket.

The line goes from the right to the left behind the hold-down stud then comes around the front and back to the right.

I have had real good luck just cleaning off the old gasket and putting a bead of motoseal on it to seal the cover back up.

I will be doing the same on this 744 real soon.

ty

Bar interchange

Guy's I need some help from some real fart smellers;), and I know where they lurk. I recently picked up a 6421 to convert (big bore or OEM) for use as my big saw and i need a 28" bar. For the limited use I'll use this I don't wanna spend close to a hundred just for a bar ( firewood ya know). So I get to the question of could I possibly use ( with mods) a Pioneer bar ( fitting say P51 or Poulan Pro 455, 525,655) on a saw that takes a large mount husqvarna? I'm thinking bar slot will be fatter and shorter, but will oiling hole line up close enough. Maybe file adjuster holes outward a little? Could anybody with saws that overlap compare bars for me to tell me if this is feasible?

Thanks guys

Mark,

Glad that the saw ended up with you, now that I know the rarity I will pick up the next one I find! I do realize it might be a while though. I was chasing a 6000 and saving my $ for that, but looks like we are too far apart on price. Did happen on to another desire able saw Tuesday, should be put in the mail to me tomorrow. To keep from jinxing myself, I will post up when it arrives.

Well Gary, a 6000 would go well with your 5500 right?

After my last two tries in dealing with C/L sellers, one hanging up on my while the other promised me the saw and would ship it only to see it get sold locally without even giving me notice I was a bit gun shy but was treated to a very nice guy to deal with this time.

That just made this even better.

If you can change that without removing the tank cover, your a better man then I am. ;)

Just take the top off, make sure you have the proper size screwdriver to fit the tank screw. Pry it off carefully trying not to tear the gasket.

The line goes from the right to the left behind the hold-down stud then comes around the front and back to the right.

I have had real good luck just cleaning off the old gasket and putting a bead of motoseal on it to seal the cover back up.

I will be doing the same on this 744 real soon.

Thanks Mark that was easy, the tank is spotless and the gasket is actually in very good shape. i shipped my only tank gasket to a member here so i am glad it worked out.

I've had good luck just using Dirko w/o a gasket. Of course saw hasn't been used much so I can't tell how long it will hold up. Don't see any reason why it shouldn't however.

i did not realize how small/thin the gasket area was on the mating surface. i am sure it will be fine.

Got a chance to check my two new saws out last night.

The 2.1A started with a prime and runs, though rough. It also smokes real bad. Haven't decided if there's some connection to the bar oil tank or if its burning off old stuff. The carb screws were one turn out. Had a little bog when turned sideways bout not much. Gonna do lines, filters, and seals on this one. Is there any other reason for excessive smoke if the carb is tuned right?

The 2.1 pulls through, really hard, but has no spark. Pulled the plug and it pulls much easier. Could this just be high compression? I have no compression tester

Last edited:
I was just thinking today. I havent set my sites on a particular saw that interest me and go on the hunt for it for awhile now.

To me the search of finding it and having in hand to check out means more to me then putting it on the shelf for keeps. That is why once I get them I pass them onto collectors looking for rarer saws.

Just trying to think of a saw of my liking that I could go for that isnt to easy to find. :msp_rolleyes:

one is an automatic oiler as well.

yeah, i realized that right after i posted so i went back and modified my post. unfortunately you quoted me before i could change it so my DA question is now down for posterity. figured i could simply look at the saw to see if it has a oil pump cover. duh!

still wondering what's the diff between the 2.1 and the 2.1A though.

I guess I could donate my last years green poulan gtg skivvies :msp_scared: to your buddy. ;):laugh:

attachment.php

View attachment 312177

Latest posts

Back