Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Oregon ones work well. They likely made the ones Poulan used. If you have any trouble let us know and I will pull a clutch on one of mine to see what's in there.
Took the old drum off and spun the new on hand tight, all I do with threaded clutches. The new drum is about an 1/8 less deep. The clutch comes right up to the edge of the drum But is inside it except this one corner of one shoe. Just the very corner hangs out by a mm or less. Maybe that one shoe is on spider crooked? I will look at in depth later.

Took the old drum off and spun the new on hand tight, all I do with threaded clutches. The new drum is about an 1/8 less deep. The clutch comes right up to the edge of the drum But is inside it except this one corner of one shoe. Just the very corner hangs out by a mm or less. Maybe that one shoe is on spider crooked? I will look at in depth later.
I've seen several drums the have a raised half dollar sized section on the interior of the drum. Just enough to make it unusable . Check yours.

I have an Oregon drum on the shelf that I can measure for you if you need. It is the NLA 3400-4000 rim setup. All of mine that I swapped over fit well. Spin that clutch on tight. These clutches have a habit of getting away from you if you ever blip the throttle without a bar and chain.

Nothing like a clutch spinning off, rocketing across the floor and up the wall to get your attention. Best be wearing your brown pants.

Poulan 3400-4000 oil pump diaphragm material

I have contacted my supplier to see if any more of the nylon insert nitrile is available that folks have used to punch out new oil pump diaphragms for the 3400-4000 series oilers. The material works very well and another member and I have successfully used the material to rebuild the diaphragms on s25da series as well. It likely could be adapted to other impulse driven pumps. Other folks used similar material from a different supplier, but at the time, had to be ordered in larger amounts. The nominal thickness of the sheet stock is 1/64" (0.015-0.017") and is made in Canada.

I can pick up smaller amounts, as a little goes a long ways. If the order is divided up, one should be able to have enough to make several diaphragms for a reasonable cost < $20).

I can pay for the order up front, collect and mail out of Canada.

PM me if you are interested. I just want to get an idea who might want some so I can let the supplier know.

I've seen several drums the have a raised half dollar sized section on the interior of the drum. Just enough to make it unusable . Check yours.
I noticed a raised section on mine but it is really close to fitting. The back of the drum isn't flat either.

I have an Oregon drum on the shelf that I can measure for you if you need. It is the NLA 3400-4000 rim setup. All of mine that I swapped over fit well. Spin that clutch on tight. These clutches have a habit of getting away from you if you ever blip the throttle without a bar and chain.

Nothing like a clutch spinning off, rocketing across the floor and up the wall to get your attention. Best be wearing your brown pants.

I will put a socket on the clutch and get it a little tighter.

Not fun when ya goose it and that sucker unthreads and sits there like a dragster doing a burn out til it gets traction and takes off, and you dare not touch it, been there and done that, fingers were sore for days.

Steve

I like it when they fly apart outside and look like fireworks going up into the sky and coming back to ground.

I noticed a raised section on mine but it is really close to fitting. The back of the drum isn't flat either.

I will put a socket on the clutch and get it a little tighter.

The rim drum on mine is bulged out also, the clutch lines up exactly with the edge of drum.

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

I have contacted my supplier to see if any more of the nylon insert nitrile is available that folks have used to punch out new oil pump diaphragms for the 3400-4000 series oilers. The material works very well and another member and I have successfully used the material to rebuild the diaphragms on s25da series as well. It likely could be adapted to other impulse driven pumps. Other folks used similar material from a different supplier, but at the time, had to be ordered in larger amounts. The nominal thickness of the sheet stock is 1/64" (0.015-0.017") and is made in Canada.

I can pick up smaller amounts, as a little goes a long ways. If the order is divided up, one should be able to have enough to make several diaphragms for a reasonable cost < $20).

PM me if you are interested. I just want to get an idea who might want some so I can let the supplier know.

I'm in!

Craftsman 4.2 (Poulan 4200). Got it not too long ago for $35, needed new piston and rings which are still available, cleaned it up, painted the muffler, replace crank seals, new fuel line, good to go!
wow.....I lost my sears saw in a barn fire....replacing it is what started me into this insane hobby. I now have 70 or so saws, but only one 4.2 and it is green. Of course the red is more fun. People call them crapsman, hand them the saw and tell them to make a couple cuts. The look on their face is priceless.

Just so you know, if you order I would be in for a double amount if you have extra or just plan on getting me the doulble amount..

Latest posts

Back