Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. The sealed needle bearing, recoil spring & the two phenolic washers get oily crap built up on
them & then gum up after 40 year of service.

You'll have to pull the left cover (three screws) & the flywheel off first. Loosen the three cover screws
with the correct sized flat blade screwdriver bit & an impact driver, as they are in tight with Loctite and
you'll bugger the heads up if you use a sloppy fitted screwdriver. Heat from a propane torch
will help break the Loctite loose too.

Take the whole starter assembly off, then take it apart & clean it up really well with gas or carb cleaner.
Lube the needle bearing only (grease is fine) and clean the crankshaft snout offf when you put it back together.

Note that the IPL drawing is reversed on the two phenolics' location, and that the felt pad on the inner
washer (if an older points type saw) should still be intact to keep the internals clean...you can oil the felt if
you want, but I never have.

That saw & the 245 series are also the only ones I have ever seen with a rivet pin in the rope end at the pulley
end, instead of a knot. There was not enough clearance for knot in the narrow rope spool. A cut off finish nail
works as a replacement for that pin, if you need to replace the rope.
Thanks for the reply. I'll open it up and clean it up, as this is usually my "go to" saw for the larger trees.

Where are you guys getting your 3400 drum sprocket from lately?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Ebay. I have the rim drive tho... same place either way

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

Have any of you heard of the Poulan Bros. custom making bow attachments for other brands before making their own saws? I have a steel bow or "pinchless" made from sections arc welded together. It's similar in shape and style to what was on early Poulan sand-cast two-mans. I've forgotten how to put pics here.
Howdy y'all!
Igpoe (Dean Coates)

Have any of you heard of the Poulan Bros. custom making bow attachments for other brands before making their own saws? I have a steel bow or "pinchless" made from sections arc welded together. It's similar in shape and style to what was on early Poulan sand-cast two-mans. I've forgotten how to put pics here.
Howdy y'all!
Igpoe (Dean Coates)

To upload a picture, click on the "upload a file" button to the right of the green "post reply" button.

Howdy y'all!
Igpoe (Dean Coates)
Hi you old codger! Glad to see your above ground.

As to your question, from all I have read and studied, yes, after the war Claude Poulan did indeed go into business manufacturing bow bars for Mall, Disston and others before he started the Poulan Saw Company.

Look at the pictures of some of the early Mall and Disston bows and see how they look like the later Poulan bows. It seems they were still providing bow bars for others later on also as witnessed by some of the David Bradley and others bows.

I know there was another part of Poulan called Poulan manufacturing which Acres has confused and listed as the saw producing company, but that is incorrect, it was the Poulan Saw Company that produced the saws and was later sold to Charles Beaird.

Just a guess but I think that the name Poulan manufacturing was what was originally used when they started the bow bar business and used later for other non chainsaw companies.

Hi you old codger! Glad to see your above ground.

As to your question, from all I have read and studied, yes, after the war Claude Poulan did indeed go into business manufacturing bow bars for Mall, Disston and others before he started the Poulan Saw Company.

Look at the pictures of some of the early Mall and Disston bows and see how they look like the later Poulan bows. It seems they were still providing bow bars for others later on also as witnessed by some of the David Bradley and others bows.

I know there was another part of Poulan called Poulan manufacturing which Acres has confused and listed as the saw producing company, but that is incorrect, it was the Poulan Saw Company that produced the saws and was later sold to Charles Beaird.

Just a guess but I think that the name Poulan manufacturing was what was originally used when they started the bow bar business and used later for other non chainsaw companies.

A local friend of mine who collects old 50's saws has come across quite a few old red bows on Homelites stamped Poulan. They may have sold to Homelite at one time.

f376afe35607cc43e3b2aa3a4c3a418a.jpg
finnaly fit my d009 bar with a chain on my 3700.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to run the 91 the other day, actually put it to work cutting some wood. Ran 2 tanks through it and after about a tank and a half it woke the hell up and turned into a bad ass. I wasn't that impressed with it the first tank full, never had one come alive like that before, like someone flipped a switch or something.

There is a video of it on you tube, if you search for Poulan 91. It is of the first cut or so with it, it was much meaner later on. 100_0724 (Custom).JPG

Say I'm trying to get the oiler working again on my little poulan 2000 and found the check valve gasket had broken. Do I need a pre-made gasket of correct thickness I.e. part no. 530019089, or will any gasket sealant from a tube be ok? Reason being, I thought the hole out of the check valve and the hole into the oil reservoir might need to be aligned. Cheers, Mark14919912186701561206746.jpg

Say I'm trying to get the oiler working again on my little poulan 2000 and found the check valve gasket had broken. Do I need a pre-made gasket of correct thickness I.e. part no. 530019089, or will any gasket sealant from a tube be ok? Reason being, I thought the hole out of the check valve and the hole into the oil reservoir might need to be aligned. Cheers, MarkView attachment 572277

See how the area under the hex of the check valve is recessed? That is why you do not need to index the hole in the valve to the hole in the case, that would be a pita to do, and Poulan was smarter then that.

Gasket from a tube is a bad idea also, too easy to make a mess and get it down in the recess to plug the damn thing up, think about it.

Either make a gasket for it or go to the auto parts / hardware store and get a fiber washer of the correct size and your good to go.

FYI for any of new guys that might be bidding or considering the 380 on evilbay - be careful. On top of being majorly beat up it has the wrong bar and clutch cover has been swapped for the non chain brake version. I would, also, look at the sellers feedback % and comments ;)

Got to run the 91 the other day, actually put it to work cutting some wood. Ran 2 tanks through it and after about a tank and a half it woke the hell up and turned into a bad ass. I wasn't that impressed with it the first tank full, never had one come alive like that before, like someone flipped a switch or something.

There is a video of it on you tube, if you search for Poulan 91. It is of the first cut or so with it, it was much meaner later on. View attachment 572261

So Mark do you think the rings decided to seat better after running it for awhile. You guys in the east always have some nice wood for cutting and testing your saws.

FYI for any of new guys that might be bidding or considering the 380 on evilbay - be careful. On top of being majorly beat up it has the wrong bar and clutch cover has been swapped for the non chain brake version. I would, also, look at the sellers feedback % and comments ;)
I looked at it. Everything is rusted like it had been out in the weather. Also some of the fins are broken on the starter cover.
The clutch cover looks like it had a chain brake on it at one time but is now missing. I would not pay that much for it.

Latest posts

Back