Ohio Chainsaw Party (Pic Heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi everyone...

A buddy of a buddy of mine works at a Husqvarna/Dolmar/Echo dealer in NE Ohio and he arranged to have a small GTG for his friends to try out their entire line of saws. Also he was motivated by donating all the cut wood to a farming family who's father was killed in a recent tractor accident, and to a family who's father is dealing with a terminal health prognosis. I jumped at the chance to help out some local families in need and also a chance to run a bunch of cool saws. We started a noon and ended around 5pm. I counted 7 truck and trailer loads of wood go out to the respective families. Here are some pics of our day.

A lot of family came and provided venison sloppy Joe's, beverage, and snacks. Everyone chipped in pulling branches and keeping the pile burning.
attachment.php

Here is a shot of the guys cutting and lugging.
attachment.php

Here is a line up of some of the saws. They are, on the ground from left to right...Echo 6000, Echo 450, 385XP, Husky 450, I think a Husky 55, Dolmar 7900 in front. On the wagon is a Husky 336, 346XP, and the Dolmar 5105. We also had an Echo 340 Top Handle, Dolmar 420, a couple Stihl 290's, and another, well broken in, Dolmar 7900.
attachment.php

Here is one of the guys running a 385 XP with a 32 inch bar. This saw belonged to one of the attendees and he was gracious to let others run it.
attachment.php

We had some big saws at our disposal this day but I noticed the one getting the most use was this little Dolmar 420. I have to admit it is a nice little saw, very zippy and is a pleasure to limb with.
attachment.php

I ran both the Echo's and even though they were new out of the box, I thought they were nice. Honestly, even though its not fair to compare the Echo 6000 against the 7900 (the Dolmar destroyed the Echo) the 60 cc Echo did pretty good cutting oak cookies. I liked its AV and I thought they were, by far, the easiest to start of all the saws. I think the most impressive saws were the 7900, 346 XP, 5105 and the 420. I think my next saw will be the 420. BTW, Echo makes a great running Top Handle saw. I'm sorry I didn't get a pic of it.

This was a blast of a day. I cut a lot of wood and pulled a lot of branches. As I drove off I knew I spent the day cutting wood but didn't have a single log in my bed to show for. I was happy I could help neighbors facing adversity and also having the chance to run some cool saws.

Last edited:
was a fantastic thing you all did,,,nice to see neighbors helping neighbors,,,wish i had lived close enough to attend that and to help out

Here are some more pics of the day...

Here are some of the cut rounds with the brush pile burning. We cut a lot of pin oak, very fun to split, ash, silver maple, elm, and a mystery wood that didn't want to split. Someone suspected it was mullberry but I couldn't ID it.
attachment.php

Another pic of the saws. 7900 with HD filter, Echo 340Top Handle, Dolmar 5105, a well broken in Dolmar 7900, Echo 6000, Husky 55, and in the back is an Echo 450. Also you can see a Fiskars splitting axe.
attachment.php

One of the men brought his Troy Bilt splitter. It did pretty good. The plastic fenders are a must!
attachment.php

Here is the Echo 6000. It's a 60 cc saw and I kinda liked it. I don't see this keeping up with a Dolmar 6400 but keep in mind it comes with a 5 year consumer warranty. That has to be considered if you are a homeowner or casual user.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Glad you guys were able to have fun and help some people in need out at the same time.

All I see in your last post is red X's.

All the kudos I can send your way, nothing better for a bunch of chainsaw enthusiasts to get together and cut wood for a the less fortunate of our brethren. I participate whenever it is within my scope of travel. The plus is to get to run saws you don`t own yet.

Pioneerguy600

Where abouts in NE Ohio were you cutting, I am in Seneca cty north central Ohio.

I been wondering this for a while now. But are the bigger echos 50cc-80cc clamshell designed engines? After messing with this husky 55 i couldnt see myself getting a 60cc+ saw that has a clamshell designed engine, to hard to work on imo. That cs600p caught my eye thats why i asked the question. Thanks.

Good job on the firewood...that would be great to be able to try all the saws out. I wish I knew more guys here that would be willing to try and do this. I have some timber that I would donate for something like this....great idea

I been wondering this for a while now. But are the bigger echos 50cc-80cc clamshell designed engines? After messing with this husky 55 i couldnt see myself getting a 60cc+ saw that has a clamshell designed engine, to hard to work on imo. That cs600p caught my eye thats why i asked the question. Thanks.

Vertical split crankcases with cylinders on top.

Pioneerguy600

Vertical split crankcases, some with cylinders on top, others with the cylinder mounted horizontal on the rear.

Pioneerguy600

That was a very good deed that y'all did, and it looks like everybody had a good time, too. I enjoyed the pics.

That's great WoodCutter, a very nice thing to do for the families!
I would of loved to lend a hand, if you have plans to do it again and would like some extra help let me know!:cheers:

I would love to bring my stable or orange headed Echos to play. Anyone else in NEO or WPA having some fun give me a yell. I get tired of playing by myself...Bob

wait so were a lot of the saws new? Are they all just now "demo" saws? Or they were from his collection rather than the store stock??

Good cause and good photos, no doubt.

Was the fresh cut wood a bright yellow color? If so it was either mulberry or Osage Orange. If not, I doubt it was either of the 2.

if it was Osage...what we call bodark....i hope you had lots of stuff to sharpen the chains with

great reason for a GTG!! i tried to rep ya for it but i gotta spread it around. wish i could have attended. was there a thread for this? if so i musta missed it.

Latest posts

Back