Ohio Chainsaw Party (Pic Heavy)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if it was Osage...what we call bodark....i hope you had lots of stuff to sharpen the chains with

That has not been my experience when cutting Osage. I heard that a lot when I found a place with lots of Osage, yet I was still able to cut an entire day on the same chain. Was it duller at the end of the day? Yes But it sure was still making some nice chips.

This event took place in NE Ohio, Trumbull County just north of Cortland. This was an event planned and provided by my buddy and I didn't feel I was in a position to invite any one of my acquaintances to attend. He probably wouldn't have cared but still I didn't want to step on his toes.

The mystery wood was pretty yellow inside. I don't remember if it had any unpleasant odors. But I know it wasn't Osage Orange. I know that wood pretty well.

Honestly I don't have anything bad to say about the Echos. I thought they were nice saws. If I thought they were underpowered it was because the other "big" saws there were two 7900's and a 385 XP. Not a fair comparison. The 6000 felt nice in my hands, and I liked the AV. With a 5 year consumer warranty I think you have to consider an Echo if you are in the market for this type of saw.

All the Dolmars were Demo saws...except for the personally owned ones. That included two of the 7900's and one 420. The Echo's were new from the box. The Husqvarnas were both brought by their owners or were Demo's from the dealer. The Troy Bilt log splitter was personally owned by one of the attendees. The dealer I mentioned also provided chain sharpening services for all the saws and attendees. I really appreciated everything this day and had a real fun time. Thanks

I bet the yellow non splittable wood would be hedge apple/osage orange.....because mullberry splits about like walnut from my expierience! Was it stringy when it did split like hackberry or elm? I came accross what i think was a bradford pear tree that was yellow and was hell to split and heavy as heck too....good wood! ever try pear in the smoker?

I bet the yellow non splittable wood would be hedge apple/osage orange.....because mullberry splits about like walnut from my expierience! Was it stringy when it did split like hackberry or elm? I came accross what i think was a bradford pear tree that was yellow and was hell to split and heavy as heck too....good wood! ever try pear in the smoker?
What did the bark look like? was it coarse with an orange underlay to it?

So you are right up the road from me. I am in Salem close to the Quaker City Dragstrip...Bob

Don't want to slide off topic here, but they auctioned Quaker off last week if I remember right. Know if sombody bought it and will keep it running? I usually frequent Thompson, but hit up Quaker a couple times a year.

Latest posts

Back