Opinions on limbing saw ms 261, husky 346xp or ported 350 husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally do like the deere/efco 62 saw also, I definitely would not get rid of that one. The husky 61 and 480cd are family heirs (my fathers old has beens) haha mostly just have them to have them. I will probably keep a 350 or 2 for farm saws anyway.

What is the best thing to do with the mufflers on the 346xp's? As I said it is an e-tech and what I have been told the mufflers are restricted.

Looking for some opinions what I should keep for my limbing saw. I need to get rid of some saws and wondered what everyone would keep from my 3 choices. Ms 261, 346xp, or a ported 350 with muffler mod. We don't cut wood all year round, it's a winter time extra money around the farm thing. We cut 50,000 to 75,000 ft a year. A lot of pine and hemlock. We may be focused on a hardwood this winter from the way my father is talking. Price is good now. Anyways all opinions welcome thanks for the insight and all the other threads on the site.

If the 261 is an MTronic, keep it and have someone here port it. Then you can also add cross cutting to your limbing.

Mike,
can you go a little deeper into similarities/differences between the 545/550. I had an itch for a 550 and was almost talked into a 545. Limber and bucket saw. love the 346 but not enough a55 in it "stock" for firewood to me.
550 seems to be able to be pushed on more like a 261 than a 346. I run 3/8" on mine with a muffler mod only I've not really thought of porting it. My dad runs it most of the time any way. It handles like a tiny saw to me any way.

550 seems to be able to be pushed on more like a 261 than a 346. I run 3/8" on mine with a muffler mod only I've not really thought of porting it. My dad runs it most of the time any way. It handles like a tiny saw to me any way.

Thanks Mike, I don't follow the Husky's as much as the others , I guess what I was after is are the two models so similar that it's only a CC difference and a similar chasis or are they very different saws.. Kinda like the 365/372 or the Dolmar 6400/7900... So I guess a better comparison for the 545 is the MS 241 opposed to the 261...

I'm after the perfect step up from the 200t to (insert your choice) to follow behind the perfect purposed saw(200t) in a tree/bucket. It just amazes me how well 200's perform day in day out over worked, abused and generally mistreated..most saws(step up limbers) pale durability wise. I'm talking about operators that care nothing about the saw other then it's ability to drop trees- type durability

what are ya basing that on ST ?

Different model policy/consepts, i.e.Husky make "semi-pro" saws (the 545 is one), while Stihl doesn't at this point.

I don't deny that there is considerable overlap between what those saws are useful for though, there surely is. :)

Different model policy/consepts, i.e.Husky make "semi-pro" saws (the 545 is one), while Stihl doesn't at this point.

I don't deny that there is considerable overlap between what those saws are useful for though, there surely is. :)

It's a little easier with STIHL as if it has a "clam"case it's not considered a professional use saw.
Sometimes with the husky you need to be a "information collector" to know the differences.

I dont know, when i blip my throttle on the 262 there is no hesitation, no hic-cup, etc. It comes right out of the gate "balls to the wall"!

:laugh: come on steve, lets be real. we all know you haven't even started that 262 yet so how do you know it is "balls to the wall". in fact i bet you rubbed baby oil on it 5 times while posting here. i bet the saw hasn't even seen outdoors since the previous owner shipped it to you. :D

the 543xp is not a husky its junk with huskys name on it

your a fag!!!

The 192t is a clamshell and not considered "professional" quality, funny that, we use 192ts every day in a company of arborists, they will take all manner of abuse and are still better than virtually every husky top handle (or even other makes) ever made

yes, clamshells can be complete garbage but so can other, more "professional" style saws.

Latest posts

Back