Poll Pro-mod, Anti-mod, Neutral

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You a Pro-Modder, Anti-Modder or sitting on the fence?

• Pro-Modder

Votes: 133 59.1%
  • Anti-Modder

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • Fence Sitter

Votes: 73 32.4%

• Total voters
EPA.... Mr. WDO, who modded your saw?
WDO... some guy named Craig Wilson I met on AS

:sucks:

I have a modified saw called a Univent. Not sure if it is EPA/OSHA compliant but it sure does run well. I would get another one if I could. Hopefully Baileys will offer the 576xp Univent in the future.

You are obviously the one who is wrong. It should be you that "shuts up." Or prove to me that Chainsaw modifications are Legal and safe.

To put it in terms you would understand..."stupid head."

Please, at least try to act intelligent.

It is against the law to tamper with design modifications that originated to meet EPA standards on engines smaller than 15 hp, and that tampering is punishable by fine. This, however, only applies to saws produced from 1997 on. Anything produced before 1997 can be "tampered with" quite legally.

At best Craig is half right about half his argument.

As for the other half, I'm afraid that the burden of proof is on you Craig...you need to demonstrate that chainsaw modifications are unsafe.

The only unsafe modifications I can think of is taking off the chain-brake, or screwing the chain up in a horrible way. No-one here would recommend those mods, and those would be legal, even on new EPA-certified saws.

I guess you will understand when your all in Federal Prison. Then you will think, "man, that guy was right. I wished I would have listened."

I should be ok for that seeing as i live in Scotland:)

Do any of you guys know of anyone having been fined or sueing there boss for letting them run modded saws?

Im Not having a go at Craig either as i can see his point of view.

Our local council wont let the guys remove the gaurds from strimmers But me being Self Employed can do whatever i like:)

I guess you will understand when your all in Federal Prison. Then you will think, "man, that guy was right. I wished I would have listened."

When we are all in federal prison? For running modified saws!??? :givebeer:

That will be the day. The same day that we all go to jail for drop starting our saws and giving you the finger.

Man, get real dude.

The only reason I am on the fence as far as mods go is all the extra noise, if some actual torque and hp gains are possible w/o blasting my ear drums out maybe ok. jmo

I have heard some of these "buzz" saws and there is no way I am putting up with that noise no way.

My stock Mac 10-10 auto was bad enough the years I ran that thing.

There is something cool about a street sleeper car with a blower or pair of turbos etc and QUIET exhaust Ill leave it at that. :)

Kansas

The only reason I am on the fence as far as mods go is all the extra noise, if some actual torque and hp gains are possible w/o blasting my ear drums out maybe ok. jmo

I have heard some of these "buzz" saws and there is no way I am putting up with that noise no way.

My stock Mac 10-10 auto was bad enough the years I ran that thing.

There is something cool about a street sleeper car with a blower or pair of turbos etc and QUIET exhaust Ill leave it at that. :)

Kansas

That's what the earplugs and muffs are for. When you have those in/on, you don't hear the noise so much as the fantastic zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz as the chain screams around the sprocket and the cutters are throwing mounds of noodles at your feet.

That's what the earplugs and muffs are for. When you have those in/on, you don't hear the noise so much as the fantastic zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz as the chain screams around the sprocket and the cutters are throwing mounds of noodles at your feet.

You think if I wanted to use ear plugs I would have made the comment I did?

And I rarely rip wood thats what the splitter is for so I usually throw mounds of chips fwtw.

Always cracks me up how some people feel the need to re-write someone elses post to read the way they want. :dizzy:

Kansas

You think if I wanted to use ear plugs I would have made the comment I did?

And I rarely rip wood thats what the splitter is for so I usually throw mounds of chips fwtw.

Always cracks me up how some people feel the need to re-write someone elses post to read the way they want. :dizzy:

Kansas

I think your taking what he said out of context, just take it as you should wear ear muffs. A stock saw is loud enough to require you to wear ear protection, if you don't then you will get hearing damage. I don't see how he re-wrote what you said.

Last edited:
Parrisw, it's a modified straight six!!! The fella who used to dyno the engine when it had the Holley 390 used to laugh and tell me, "Damn dude, this thing is freaking loud! I always have fun running your truck on my dyno..."

It's only a 250cid. I think why the sixes are loud is because two pistons rotate at TDC at the same time(only one fires though) and that is probably the reason why they are soooo loud. It's not running duals too! Just one 2 chamber flowmaster. I ported and polished the cylinder head, put valves from a small block chevy, and installed a hot cam(hydraulic).

I had some vids from back in the days but don't have them anymore. I'll have to find a lonely road and set up a video camera:chainsawguy:

As soon as I find a lonely road to do it, I'll send you a pm brother:cheers:

Iv'e got a 292 punched to 311 with 3 studebaker 2 barrels,...it makes some noise!

I think your taking what he said out of context, just take it as you should wear ear muffs. A stock saw is loud enough to require you to wear ear protection, if you don't then you will get hearing damage. I don't see how he re-wrote what you said.

Yep no earmuffs = sore head even with a stocker!

I have Peltor workstyles with a built in radio and turning on the radio makes the saw quieter!

Just like shooting wearing glasses makes it quieter????? Try it!

L6 heaven...

Iv'e got a 292 punched to 311 with 3 studebaker 2 barrels,...it makes some noise!

311 cubes of some nasty stuff I bet! The torque must be amazing. I've heard some gnarly stories about stock 292's. I've seen some gnarly stuff with modified 292's. What make and model do you have that beast in? Custom intake?

It must be pulling close to 250 ponies(if not more) at the rear wheels...awesome.

Hmm,
Federal prison, that's where they send all those "white collar" criminals isn't it?
Let's see, Heating and air conditioning, color TV, a nice library, conjugal visit's, three square meals a day, you don't have to work if you don't want to, keep in shape on top of the line exercise equipment.

Sound's like fun. When do we leave, and how long can we stay?

Andy

Hmm,
Federal prison, that's where they send all those "white collar" criminals isn't it?
Let's see, Heating and air conditioning, color TV, a nice library, conjugal visit's, three square meals a day, you don't have to work if you don't want to, keep in shape on top of the line exercise equipment.

Sound's like fun. When do we leave, and how long can we stay?

Andy

Don't forget the free medical and dental care.

Back