Poll Pro-mod, Anti-mod, Neutral

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You a Pro-Modder, Anti-Modder or sitting on the fence?

• Pro-Modder

Votes: 133 59.1%
  • Anti-Modder

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • Fence Sitter

Votes: 73 32.4%

• Total voters
Hmm,
Federal prison, that's where they send all those "white collar" criminals isn't it?
Let's see, Heating and air conditioning, color TV, a nice library, conjugal visit's, three square meals a day, you don't have to work if you don't want to, keep in shape on top of the line exercise equipment.

Sound's like fun. When do we leave, and how long can we stay?

Andy

I've heard some of em have golf courses too. Not much of a golfer but hey, I could always learn. :cheers:

Hahahaha. That could get painfull. If I'm thinking about the right thread.
"Porting a human head" if memory serves me correctly.

Andy

How about a little rep for a, uuuhhh, reputable dentist.
HPIM1959.jpg

HPIM1960.jpg

HPIM1961.jpg

HPIM1962.jpg

HPIM1958.jpg

He posted it here as well lol
Makes me cringe!

I think your taking what he said out of context, just take it as you should wear ear muffs. A stock saw is loud enough to require you to wear ear protection, if you don't then you will get hearing damage. I don't see how he re-wrote what you said.

I was quoted in bold by nitroman how can I be taking anything out of context?

I dont wear ear protection my saws dont cause me any discomfort like they are that was my whole point I dont want to start needing ear protection!

So what is your experience with modded saws can the performance be increased without doing a whole lot to the noise factor?

Kansas

I was quoted in bold by nitroman how can I be taking anything out of context?

I dont wear ear protection my saws dont cause me any discomfort like they are that was my whole point I dont want to start needing ear protection!

So what is your experience with modded saws can the performance be increased without doing a whole lot to the noise factor?

Kansas

Well I don't agree with no hearing protection, all my saws, even the stock ones are loud enough to cause hearing damage, even if they don't cause discomfort they can cause hearing damage!!! I get my hearing tested every year for workers compensation, anything over 85db will cause hearing damage, if you want to go deaf great, doesn't matter to me, anyway its not worth getting bent outa shape about it.

Modded saws can be run with stock mufflers for sure, you just wont get as much gains as you could. Here is a 372 I had built for me. It's got a unmodded muffler on it, not sure if its eruo one or just aftermarket, its got a single small outlet that faces forward, its pretty quiet, it's only on its second tank of gas now, so not even broken in yet, it does have great power and torque though.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RN9hzhp5RUU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RN9hzhp5RUU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Here is a 371 that I modded myself, not as much mods as the one above, but its got a slightly opened up muffler, not far above stock, you can definitely hear the diff though.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bgxBq3SvZFA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bgxBq3SvZFA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
parrisw, you are posting self-incriminating evidence of using a MODIFIED CHAINSAW! It can be used in a court of law against you!

I will be collecting money for your bail on AS... :yoyo:

I.D.K. about drilling holes in the muffler, but someone mentioned upgrading filters- does that alone accomplish much? I'm not anti because of environmental laws or noise per se, but just making a mistake and ruining my saw. Maybe after the warranty period expires I'll look into something like that.

Well I don't agree with no hearing protection, all my saws, even the stock ones are loud enough to cause hearing damage, even if they don't cause discomfort they can cause hearing damage!!!

parrisw, thanks for the vids and info there wasnt much difference in noise those from stock from what I could tell I didnt see any ear muffs being used either.

I didnt say this to start with but my hearing was ruined as a kid shooting w/o ear plugs is maybe why my sensitivity may be less than some folks.

Fact is I dont know one single person that wears hearing protection using a modern chain saw not one. fwtw

Now certain exhaust pitchs like my 10-10 Mac for instance with the exhaust pointing basicly straight up at my right ear drove me nuts my Huskys are quiet in comparison.

I wouldnt mind more power as long as they stay quiet thats my main criteria for mods.

Kansas

Don't care either way. I only cut for firewood. So a modded saw is not a big deal to me. IF someone wants to modd their saws have at it. I love the sound just don't have reason to mod mine.

parrisw, thanks for the vids and info there wasnt much difference in noise those from stock from what I could tell I didnt see any ear muffs being used either.

I didnt say this to start with but my hearing was ruined as a kid shooting w/o ear plugs is maybe why my sensitivity may be less than some folks.

Fact is I dont know one single person that wears hearing protection using a modern chain saw not one. fwtw

Now certain exhaust pitchs like my 10-10 Mac for instance with the exhaust pointing basicly straight up at my right ear drove me nuts my Huskys are quiet in comparison.

I wouldnt mind more power as long as they stay quiet thats my main criteria for mods.

Kansas

Ya, my bad, I just did a couple cuts, so didn't put them on. I do always wear hearing protection though when out cutting.

Back