Poping trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of outhouses, have you ever heard trees popping, while pooping? I have, and it was damn cold too.

Yup...trees are a poppin lately.

I noticed last night on my drive home that all the maples in my area have been tapped. You can see the pipelines running through the woods and the collection barrels. A lot of people near me are still using galvanized buckets with hoods to collect sap as well. Its funny, I never noticed it until last night. Almost every single tree is tapped. I gotta start paying more attention when I drive...

No trees tapped here yet... we still ain't seen anything above freezing.
More freezing rain, sleet and snow for tomorrow, possibly some low-to-mid 30's next week... but I ain't holding my breath.
The wife told me some "expert" on TV said we can expect another 30 inches of snow in March... Oh Boy‼

No trees tapped here yet... we still ain't seen anything above freezing.
More freezing rain, sleet and snow for tomorrow, possibly some low-to-mid 30's next week... but I ain't holding my breath.
The wife told me some "expert" on TV said we can expect another 30 inches of snow in March... Oh Boy‼

Just another typical weekend for us... let it fly. We had about 28" in 4-5 days last week. Makes for great recreation.

You speaking for others now??
And prove me wrong about the sap if'n you're so sure.
The "running" of the sap (which is what happens during the sugaring season, it "runs" down and out of the tree) is not the same thing as the "flowing" of the sap (which can only happen after the leaves come out, and the sap "flows" up to the top of the tree)
Prove me wrong ‼

Well, we can start with Cornell not agreeing with you on the definition of "flow"
http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/produc/sapflow.htm

And University of Vermont can offer some more clarity:
http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/wilmot_pressure.pdf

As is common on your posts, you get most of it right. But you're certainty on points you're wrong about in subtle ways can really rub the folks who actually know what they're talking about wrong.

From your first post:
, it ain't temperature that causes sap to start running, or leaves to fall, or whatever... it's the ratio of daylight to darkness that does. As the days get longer the trees start waking-up, as the days get shorter the trees go to sleep... temperature has nothing to do with it.

The UVM link partially debunks that, explaining temperature is the key component early in the season to push sap up from the roots for the first 32', after which you need leaves to continue. That's one example of your certainty when wrong on subtle points.

And another of your posts:
So no, Sugar Maple sap "flow" is not temperature dependent... but temperature is what allows you to "drain" sap

You ought to know on a group that beats up on folks who misuse the term Cord regularly, you shouldn't be making up your own definitions. The movement of sap during maple sugaring season is known as flow. It's another bit of certain but subtly wrong part of your posts. Maples do flow, dependant on temperature. You got the mechanism right in that case, even if you called the phenomena the wrong name.

Well, we can start with Cornell not agreeing with you on the definition of "flow"
http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/produc/sapflow.htm

And University of Vermont can offer some more clarity:
http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/wilmot_pressure.pdf

As is common on your posts, you get most of it right. But you're certainty on points you're wrong about in subtle ways can really rub the folks who actually know what they're talking about wrong.

From your first post:

The UVM link partially debunks that, explaining temperature is the key component early in the season to push sap up from the roots for the first 32', after which you need leaves to continue. That's one example of your certainty when wrong on subtle points.

And another of your posts:

You ought to know on a group that beats up on folks who misuse the term Cord regularly, you shouldn't be making up your own definitions. The movement of sap during maple sugaring season is known as flow. It's another bit of certain but subtly wrong part of your posts. Maples do flow, dependant on temperature. You got the mechanism right in that case, even if you called the phenomena the wrong name.
Best advice I can give you Dalmation90 is to put said spider monkey on the ignore list. If enough people do that, he'll just fade away like a mild case of the shitz. He thrives on attention in order to feed his narcissistic personality.

Yeah...I didn't realize how long this thread had gotten before I posted.

I don't mind Spidey...just I've learned to take what he says with a grain of salt because he gets it almost right most of the time.

Only more of one thang will make one more right.

bikini_line_large.jpg
I would like to teach those fine lady's about some " POPING " :givebeer:

I don't see what any of this has to do with Catholicism!
Or....is that Popeing?

Here is my serious question on this subject. It seems like the sap that is removed from the tree would be necessary for the health of the tree. I would think the tree would need that to help "burst" into life come spring.
Now I know this tapping of the trees has been going on for "pretty much ever" and maples aren't falling over dead because of it but it is something I've always wondered about.
My neighbor lives on a very large, syrup farm that is no longer tapped and last year they had all their old maples logged off. Over 200 of them and they were monsters. Loggers had to cut real high on the stump to avoid all the taps he told me. I think it would be cool to slice a cookie of one with the tap showing and use it for an end table or something!
He told me the only reason he had them cut was because they were falling off their prime and he figured he would get some money out of them before they fell apart. 400+ acres of almost solid woods with a small river running through it. It makes for the best neighbors! LOL They are smack dab in the middle of it with their house being over 1/2 mile off the road.

A couple years ago a friend of the neighbor's came and tapped a bunch of Sugar Maples.

Soooooo, what do a couple wood ticks do for entertainment in the nice late winter weather.

That's right. We got out the lawn chairs, a cooler, and watched the sap run.

When I got home from work around 3ish and the temps in the 30's the sap was pouring through the clear hoses. As the sun started to go down and the temp dropped, the sap flow visually slowed to a trickle.

That was our indicator that it was time to go in.

Yeah I know, cool story, but it was neat to watch.

A question for the guys that are involved in big operations of sap collection.

What is done health wise for the trees after the taps are pulled to fight against any disease?

Any signs of Sap Streak Disease in the trees that have a long history of being used?

I don't mind Spidey...just I've learned to take what he says with a grain of salt because he gets it almost right most of the time.

Good for you... you shouldn't believe anything you read or hear without doing your own verification.

But there seems to be a confusion of the argument(s) though... one was the causes of sap flow during the Maple sugaring season, another was whether-or-not that sap flow signaled the tree was coming out of dormancy, and the third argument was the final trigger that brought a tree out of dormancy. Somehow, everyone was confusing the three (well, not everyone... I wasn't).

If you go back to your UVM link you'll find the first sentence of the second paragraph, "Root pressure does not cause sap flow in maple during our sugaring season."
And the last sentence of that paragraph, "The maple sap flow mechanism comes from the branches which are exposed to freezing and thawing temperatures; almost all other tree species lack this mechanism and do not have early spring sap flow."
In the next paragraph, "Root pressure occurs when the soil begins to warm, and when snow has melted, and icy water from snow melt has largely drained from the soil..."
And even further into the document, "Root pressure has been noted in many tree species, but is most prominent in birch, and it is responsible for the birch syrup industry. ...
The birch sugaring season is described as beginning when producers are seeing the first butterfly...”

Which would be well after the Maple sugaring season. In the case of Birch sugaring it is root pressure and the tree exiting dormancy that allows Birch sap harvesting, but that ain't the case with Maple sap harvesting.

I wasn't really trying to make up my own definitions with the "flow" and "drain" thing... but arguably it did end up that way. I was simply attempting to point out the distinction between what allows the sap to flow or run out of the tree during the Maple sugaring season vs. the what causes the sap to naturally flow when the tree begins to exit dormancy later in the spring.

Here, you may enjoy reading this... be sure and read the last two paragraphs and you'll see the the harvesting of maple sap is a "rare phenomenon" still considered a "mysterious process".
http://blog.lib.umn.edu/efans/ygnews/2009/04/the_mystery_of_maple_sap_flow.html

But hey, I've already admitted to being wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong... flat-azz wrong :D

Hmmmmm. If the flowing of the sap and emergence from dormancy was dependent on light then wouldnt trees grow their buds at the same time every year? I seem to recall last spring (which was VERY early in my area) The trees and plants were emergent sooner than Ive ever seen before.

Back