Price on MS290 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
never ran a 290 held one once.....i already have a toaster in my kitchen so why to i need one that cuts wood? I feel there are better saws out there for that money used and quite possibly new. But if you want the convince of just walking in and walking out with a saw the there you are....if you have time and inclination put a add in the wanted column see if you can get a 036 a nice 26 a note beat to death husky 55. Not very helpful but what i was thinking.....20 inch chain stay sharper? don't really understand that.

sap can

290 with 390 top end and muffler mod is the way to go on these saws imo

Last edited:
The 290 is a fine saw. I am very happy with mine. I have all brands and sizes of saws and feel like the 290 is unjustly criticized for whatever reason. Most people say the power weight ratio is bad, but if a Stihl ms290 is too heavy, then you shouldn't be cutting wood.

The 290 is a fine saw. I am very happy with mine. I have all brands and sizes of saws and feel like the 290 is unjustly criticized for whatever reason. Most people say the power weight ratio is bad, but if a Stihl ms290 is too heavy, then you shouldn't be cutting wood.
It's like telling a Chevy guy that a '69 Camaro is not a muscle car. Then why do they all want one/have one?

290 is a decent saw for what it is.
$400 spent can get you a fine saw if you have some time to look.
Little brother drank my Uncles Kool-Aid about Stihl, bought a 290 and was pretty proud of it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,until he came over to cut up a trailer load.
I proceeded to spank his 290 with my 5100, to add insult to injury let him run my 359. Dang hater rocked the chain on the 359, guess that was the only way he could even get his saw to come close eh?

I get what your saying.

I bought a new 290 about a year ago. It's a decent enough saw. Can't really complain. Maybe it's buyers remorse or whatever. Truth is, it's a good enough saw. Nothing to brag about. But perusing CL, you can generally buy a "near new" one on any given day for roughly half price. I think the market has set that as "exactly what it's worth".

In comparing them to "10 year old saws", I meant no insult to anyone or thing. Only to point out that at the $400 mark, a lot more saw could be had.

Think about this though. The second that new 290 throws chips, it's now a $275 saw tops. Due to them being the "small block chevy" of the saw world. Why not consider buying one that someone already used on their storm blowdown and let them take the initial hit?

I agree. That's how I bought my 029S years ago. And it was a good saw. I sold it to finance an 039 I bought the same way. I still have that one, although I bought an 046 earlier this year that weighs not much more and will spank it all day long, as it should.

I'm a Stihl guy but would not recommend buying a new 290 at retail these days. If you want a new saw, there are better options as others have pointed out. If your goal is to spend $400 on a saw, there are better options as others have pointed out. If you want to spend 200 - 225 on a 290, they are out there, barely used. And they will serve you well.

FWIW, I bought a brand new MS290 at the local farm supply store this fall, on sale. After the sale price and pending rebate, it was $332, with the 20" bar. I thought that was a fair deal.

I like the saw well enough, and know that it will last a long time. I was a little disappointed in the power, though. But, having now acquired and restored an 026 and an 028 AV Super, the 290 sits a lot when I am just cutting firewood. The 026 is just my favorite for some reason. It runs like a top and is light, even though its an antique.

I think I will convert the 290 into a 390 and MM it someday, so it can wear the 20" bar, and I will keep it around for the bigger stuff. I imagine it will be a beast then!

FWIW, I bought a brand new MS290 at the local farm supply store this fall, on sale. After the sale price and pending rebate, it was $332, with the 20" bar. I thought that was a fair deal.

Edit: sounds like the right price for a 290.

I like the saw well enough, and know that it will last a long time. I was a little disappointed in the power, though. But, having now acquired and restored an 026 and an 028 AV Super, the 290 sits a lot when I am just cutting firewood. The 026 is just my favorite for some reason. It runs like a top and is light, even though its an antique.
Absolutely agreed, I use my 026 far more than my 290.

I think I will convert the 290 into a 390 and MM it someday, so it can wear the 20" bar, and I will keep it around for the bigger stuff. I imagine it will be a beast then!

from what I gather, the aftermarket 390 kits aren't really any more powerful than an OEM 290. Only really a viable way to re power a toasted 290. And OEM 390 P&C is cost prohibitive.

But, let's face reality. Even tho my 290 was my go-to saw, and mine is 5 yr. old, have beaten it severely, and still runs like new, is a real club. Too much weight. Even more so with a 20" bar on it, will really drag in some tough wood, but that is IMO. Not sure if the Echo is a better deal or not, but I would go a different route if I were to do over again.

Let me get this right? 5 years ago you bought something, Used it severely in your words. Was also your go to saw. It still runs like new. And Now it is TOO heavy and you wish you didnt buy it. Being on AS has made you a tough customer.

from what I gather, the aftermarket 390 kits aren't really any more powerful than an OEM 290. Only really a viable way to re power a toasted 290. And OEM 390 P&C is cost prohibitive.

Hmmm. You are probably right. I hadn't thought it through yet. I don't like using non stihl parts and I am sure the oem parts would be up there.

Let me get this right? 5 years ago you bought something, Used it severely in your words. Was also your go to saw. It still runs like new. And Now it is TOO heavy and you wish you didnt buy it. Being on AS has made you a tough customer.

Well, I'm a little older now too, saws do get a lil heavier as one approaches his 60's. I didn't say I wish I hadn't bought it, but knowing what I know now, would have gotten a different saw. I'd rather have another 036. I have fallen in love w/my 460 and 20" bar... almost like a hot saw.

Sad, but true...:msp_smile:

Well, this happens with alot of brands --like rifle scopes. A lot of people swear by Leupold riflescopes...and they deserve a good reputation. But Leopold does make budget optics too, and people swear by them cause Leupold is stamped on them, when they can get a better quality optic from a lesser known brand for the same price.

Last edited:
I get what your saying.

I bought a new 290 about a year ago. It's a decent enough saw. Can't really complain. Maybe it's buyers remorse or whatever. Truth is, it's a good enough saw. Nothing to brag about. But perusing CL, you can generally buy a "near new" one on any given day for roughly half price. I think the market has set that as "exactly what it's worth".

In comparing them to "10 year old saws", I meant no insult to anyone or thing. Only to point out that at the $400 mark, a lot more saw could be had.

Think about this though. The second that new 290 throws chips, it's now a $275 saw tops. Due to them being the "small block chevy" of the saw world. Why not consider buying one that someone already used on their storm blowdown and let them take the initial hit?
Please don't call a 290 a small block Chevy===================I am not a Chevy fan at all and that comment makes me not want to use my saw at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray

Please don't call a 290 a small block Chevy===================I am not a Chevy fan at all and that comment makes me not want to use my saw at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ray
327cid/350hp= pretty good small block chevy. just think of the 290 as a newer 327cid say 200hp.

You can get a MS291 for 420 its a better saw then the 290. 12.2 lb super AV. As for the echo thing they are good saws, but if you don't work on saw's get the stihl dealers are every where. No problems getting parts, I have been waiting 3 weeks on a husky part.

Can anyone tell me what the going rate would be for a MS290 Farm Boss.

I can get one from my local dealer with a 20" bar for just under $400 , I looked on Ebay and there are a few on there that are listed at quite a bit more than this and even used ones are at or close to that , just seems a little strange to me.

Any reason not to get one at this price? I just can't get up the nerve to pull the trigger on this.

Yep, bc there is a nos Dolmar 6400 in the classifieds for $560.00. Hang around AS long enough and you'll learn plenty about that saw and "like" variants such as the Makita 6401.

Dont be afraid to buy a used pro saw from a reputable seller here (such as Nmurph). Most of the good guys run in the same circle. I read and observe far more than I post.... so you can pm me for referrals to the good guys. Stay away from listings where the listing is the individuals first post or if they aren't active enough to be known around here.

In addition to the 6400. There is a NOS Husq 359 in the classifieds in the $525 range. (Note: there are two 359s listed.... I'm referring to the one listed by Cambl....not the used one) I own two of these that are ported and I promise you they would humiliate a 270, 271, 290, or 291. No contest.
Or hold out for a used 70cc. I bought a very clean Stihl 044 from Wigglesworth for $500 with a brand new HD2 filter and decent enough 20'' bar.

290 with 390 top end and muffler mod is the way to go on these saws imo
That said, after you buy the 290 for $400 and then buy a 390 top end you still will not have nowhere near the saw as the Dolmar 6400 listed for $560 in the classifieds. You will have spent more (to have the Stihl name) and have less saw. The little Dolly's sounding better and better. Had I not sold my soul to Husq/Jonsered (and waiting on new models), I would get it.

Latest posts

Back