Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did I mention it has a 454 :muscle:
She'll be thirsty :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:, but will run forever :numberone:, kinda like an old saw that just won't die so you can get a newer lighter one:laughing:.
What's funny is my suburban only gets 10-12 normally with, I'm almost always pulling the 20' aluminum trailer though, the back is always loaded down with a floor jack and a 200lb tool box and I like to keep the tank as close to full as possible which is around 40 gallons or 320lbs approx. The 454 will do that pretty much all the time unless you get a big enclosed trailer behind it. I've been watching for a low mileage suburban 2500 with a 454 :yes:. I've had a few chances to get them, but I don't want to pay over 4k for a truck that old unless it has a diesel @Logger nate :innocent:.

She'll be thirsty :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:, but will run forever :numberone:, kinda like an old saw that just won't die so you can get a newer lighter one:laughing:.
What's funny is my suburban only gets 10-12 normally with, I'm almost always pulling the 20' aluminum trailer though, the back is always loaded down with a floor jack and a 200lb tool box and I like to keep the tank as close to full as possible which is around 40 gallons or 320lbs approx. The 454 will do that pretty much all the time unless you get a big enclosed trailer behind it. I've been watching for a low mileage suburban 2500 with a 454 :yes:. I've had a few chances to get them, but I don't want to pay over 4k for a truck that old unless it has a diesel @Logger nate :innocent:.
I’m estimating 10 mpg and I drive it like a granny.

The exhaust pipe need repair so it sounds good.

When I first drove it I was thinking it was a 350. I was quite surprised how spirited it was when I kicked it down on the highway. 350 Vortec in a 1/2 ton was a moving vehicle for its era but in the 3/4 or 1 ton vehicles it was a little mushy when you got on it. Not this one :D

Not sure what a bore cut is? I'll research it. This locust was easier to cut through than the twisted grain maple I scrounged a few posts back. 262xp cut easy, yellow chips flying with a sharp chain. Plan is to bring a buddy to show me the ropes. He works grounds for a local collage and could teach me a thing or two. I'm big on learning and being SAFE. Turned 33 today. Great day, ran my saw, split a few pieces of wood, then family dinner. Life is good!

Thanks for all the responses.

Happy Birthday! I think that so many of us can relate to those feelings. For me the scrounge and the hunt and the tools and the wood and the fire and the warmth for me all lead back to the family.
Split some wood with my kids tonight as a matter of fact.

Enjoy 33 my friend. I will be turning the big 40 in 3 weeks and my thirties were spent rushing around trying to make money and also stopping to smell the roses with my family. From now on I want to do much more of the latter and much less of the former.

Enjoy

@dancan how long does spruce need to season? My MIL has a blue spruce along the drive way she wants down and I figure if it's going to basicly fall in the firewood pile why not.
It usually takes a couple hrs for me, from the job site to the pile :blob2::lol:.
It is nice for the shoulder, smells good too, much better than locust :eek:, but that heat of locust and it will be ready in the fall if you get it cut and split in the early spring before the sap is running.

Hey Neil , you guys set a heat record yet ?

In the end it thunderstormed and cooled. A little much needed rain, a week of pleasant mid 20s temps, and now back to 33C today. They predict a European all time high temp is possible somewhere, currently Athens and 47C from 1977. We have hot air from Africa.

Aussies. Any excuse to drink and chase sheilas.

Hey! You take that back! We don't need an excuse to drink and chase sheilas :laughing: :laughing:.

Might have an excuse to run a saw or two on the weekend though. Roscoe tells me he's just about out of wood. Gonna have to learn him that you don't wait until the wettest month of the year to decide you need more wood. Still, it'll be good to get amongst it :chainsaw:.

I must have missed the cooldown
Me too, supposed to be 91 herr this weekend :baba:.
Should be arriving shortly. It was COLD yesterday morning here and cool this morning.

Our highest daily high in the next ten days is 84. That has been our average high temp for the last several weeks.
I'll be about half way to you on the west side of IL tomorrow, hope it's nice there.

You and me Neil...... The Dolkita in suburbia club, We may have to start our own thread LOL.

The new Makita marketing strap.
"The 7900, it's a saw for the 'burbs"

Ahhh the long dead art of customer service..... No call back. Seems no one wants to sell me the saw! Take my money!!! Oh hang on..... You already did....2 months ago....ffs, I'm being shafted.

Back