Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skid steer is on its way to Seattle! Loaded out of Pennsylvania yesterday morning. 👍

Sold the lumber! Its how I made a living for a couple years! Power saw milling! Barley made both ends of the candle meet! Kinda hard to when both ends are burning! 🤣
Where from in PA? That's my 20. I showed my Buddy you deer pics yesterday. He shot his on the Coast Guard base. He was there 7 years.

Skid steer is on its way to Seattle! Loaded out of Pennsylvania yesterday morning. 👍

Sold the lumber! Its how I made a living for a couple years! Power saw milling! Barley made both ends of the candle meet! Kinda hard to when both ends are burning! 🤣

Which ine dud you get? COngrats.

Whats the make and displacement of a CS590?

I've got a couple Granbergs myself got my first one some years ago in 98 I believe. I hesitate to call them "mills"as they are so slow. I Refer to them as chain saw lumber making jigs. When I was younger in 98/99. I was 22-23 at the time. I Framed a 24' x 16' cabin with a sleeping loft out of rough cut Spruce lumber and sided it with red cedar lumber from beach logs. 👍 All milled with my 32" Granberg running an 066 pushing a 36" bar. I saved and used all the saw waste fir insulation Boy, that whole building project was a lot of work! The Cedar beach wood was horribly tough to mill because of all the jig set up and jig break break down time! I had to swap chains every pass because of the beach sand in the wood until I had a cant squared off! Anyone who's used an Alaska Mill knows the work involved Im talking about!. It was fun and I was younger and with me high school sweetheart so it was all good!👍

Id hav to say the funnest part about the project was felling and bucking the old WW2 abandoned power line creosote power poles for foundation piles. Then skidded them out the half mile through the swamp to get them to the old WW2 military road where my truck was. View attachment 1050577View attachment 1050578

I started in the fall of 98 just before the ground froze. View attachment 1050581
View attachment 1050582

We were living in the 16' x 16' by the middle of winter Come spring I did the 8' x 16' addition.View attachment 1050584View attachment 1050586

Interior and exterior chainsaw milled Red Cedar Siding. The only thing I bought was the nails, plywood skin, and rolled asphalt roofing. Used saw waste fir insulation. 👍View attachment 1050587

I treated the exterior siding with linseed oil.
View attachment 1050588
I learned at a young age. One must be the Jack of all trades When living remote in Alaska. Even if he's the master on none. (☝️Me, I'm guilty🤣) Be very rich, starve, or freeze to death. Those are your options!

Its STIHL standing and livable today! On my high school sweethearts parents property right down the road from my current property!👍 Her dead beat brother lives in it! 🤣🤣🤣 The sweethearts candle fire burnt out long ago. She's done been long gone fir over Twenty years. Married with Children.👍 That's how it is big time'n in a small town! 🤣😉

Im very grateful fir the power saw time and experience Ive aquired over the years. When I'm doing tree work for someone. They will often say "man your saw cuts fast! I want mine to cut like that! How come it doesn't? How do I get it to?" I just smile shurk my shoulders and say "Im not sure but Id start by making sure its sharp every time you pick it up to use it and every time you put it away. That's what I do" Then its usually a blank stare and an "Oh" 🤣🤣🤣
Great job on the cabin.

Pennsy skid steer! They are the toughest, and fastest, and have the best paint, and never rust, or get flat tires...

What did you end up getting, I must've missed it, and from where in Pennsy?

Glad you got something. I was gonna say you were getting analysis paralysis.

All power saw milled lumber with a Granberg.I,ts how I made a living back then after the logging job I had shut down. 450-500 board feet was a long hard 12 hour day at .50 a board foot! Plus I had to cut my girlfriend's dad a share because it was his timber I was cut'n and milling! Good times though! 👍 Memories that will last a lifetime!View attachment 1050664

Well, Yesterday in town. I finally broke down and bought the materials to finish the skiding arch. Its only been a year! 🤣 Im kinda tossed where to weld the choker chain hook?View attachment 1050712View attachment 1050713

Also, do I make it a fixed stationary tongue or adjustable telescopic? 🤔 View attachment 1050715View attachment 1050714I already see bigger tires needed.🤨 Its a certainty!
Both of those Look awesome KK. All the wood working and the log arch. The logging arch I could do from my proffession. That intricate wood working would take me a bit. My BIL wants to get into the grandburg milling. He has some wood that I would call not the most desirable for milling. But ill give it a shot if he wants to try. Hes purchasing the mill and the ripping chains to do it so im willing to give it a go if he wants to do that. The pieces he has to start with are on the short side for what I would think. Ill have to find a way to secure them down to start with let alone how im going to guide the tool across such a short log. I might have to make something as I think a ladder accross the top will be allot for this log.

Black Cherry is similar to Black Walnut in the fact that you want the heartwood if you are milling, and it has to be a good size tree to have enough of it because they have a good amount of sap wood. Only the heartwood has the deep rich color for both species.

I love grilling venison steaks over a Black Cherry fire, give it a nice addl taste, and the fire smoke does smell nice. Cherry does not have the BTUs of some other wood, but it coals up nicely (but also pops if in a fireplace).

Cherry heartwood will weather much longer than Ash (if in the woods, but off the ground). But if you are drilling a half inch hole in seasoned posts + beams, you will go through Cherry twice as fast as Ash.

Often you can locate old blown down or dead standing cherry that is off the ground and the bark (and sometimes) sap wood are gone, but the heartwood is solid. Great burning stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20200719_083634092.jpg
    IMG_20200719_083634092.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200719_083643483.jpg
    IMG_20200719_083643483.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Your determination of whether to mill or burn cherry will depend on how much time you have for milling and woodworking, and how warm you want to be when you're staying in your cabin!

I understand that cherry is also desirable for gun stocks. Would probably look good on a gun with a stainless barrel!

Unfortunately, Clint (Mainewoods) has not entered the site since June 2022, and his account seems to no longer be active (you can' pull him up in the search feature). He was my age, but I fear the worst. He has not posted for quite a while but used to check the site now and then.

I miss his posts. If anyone knows anything more, please share.

Growing up we had a 3' Maple in our side yard with a 10" horizontal branch. I used that branch to swap out at least 6 motors during my younger days before I got married.
hi JR - thot u was going to say.... 'before i got a HF $199.00 orange hyd. engine lift!' i never pulled or set an engine off a limb... chains, hook, etc. but have off an A-frame. i remember watching my Dad put in a flathead V8 for some college boys, he was in charge of supply-ROTC, at WSC... and telling me to stay back and watch. he was going to hook up the engine for these guys... and the pay was $25.00! back when gasoline had not even hit the inflated cost of 11-cents... and Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis were the biggest thing in the country... since sliced bread!

1674405045113.png

really? cool! did i miss the post where you said all about it?

a younger kid:

1674405235219.png
"should get both ends to meet in a bit...."

Looks good Mark, but a little light if you wanted to haul split firewood in there.
Did it have the heavy swinging doors on it before.
What ramps are those, I want to buy some nice aluminum ones, my steel ones are heavy as heck!
maybe that is why he stopped and got that dropped steel ramp... scrounged. set vertical & horiz.... well, u get the idea!
:drinkingcoffee:

at least it is not in the middle of your pond! :popcorn2:
Wondered who would pick up on that, may have a few more trees to remove from it ;)
Definitely won't be towing my trailer to town with a Tractor. Not if I want to get there in less than 12 hours. I'll be using a pickup with an eight foot bed and raised side boards. That way I can haul three cord a haul when trucking a sale to town. Won't have to stack it in the truck or trailer either. Witch will make a ton of money over time being money is time and time is money! One cord pilled in the one ton. Two piled in the trailer.👍 $1000 gross per trip, being as a cord is selling at a premium right now on the Island.
If I have a tree removal job while Im there? Well, Im sure you get where Im going with this.
I see a much bigger truck with a sleeper in your future.
i have some chips for smoking! it is real nice when cooking, i don't just burn it!

got oak for that...
I've given plenty away for that.
The logger that did dads farm took a couple of the biggest cherry trees but we have so many that are sub par for milling that we just make farwood out of them. I sell it as "Holiday" firewood at a premium because of the smell.
Highest best use, for the one who has it.
As Mike was saying, lots of choices can change our perspective of what that might be.

Black Cherry is similar to Black Walnut in the fact that you want the heartwood if you are milling, and it has to be a good size tree to have enough of it because they have a good amount of sap wood. Only the heartwood has the deep rich color for both species.

I love grilling venison steaks over a Black Cherry fire, give it a nice addl taste, and the fire smoke does smell nice. Cherry does not have the BTUs of some other wood, but it coals up nicely (but also pops if in a fireplace).

Cherry heartwood will weather much longer than Ash (if in the woods, but off the ground). But if you are drilling a half inch hole in seasoned posts + beams, you will go through Cherry twice as fast as Ash.

Often you can locate old blown down or dead standing cherry that is off the ground and the bark (and sometimes) sap wood are gone, but the heartwood is solid. Great burning stuff.
If I needed firewood I’d burn cherry but since I don’t I prefer making things with it and smoking meats and poultry. In fact I have a fire started at the moment to smoke some chicken . Mix of hickory cherry and lump charcoal . But there is some oak in there as I took coals out of the woodstove to start it . Got the Weber out for this batch only about 15 lbs . E8C4EC04-CCF3-4B57-BD81-F52478D3781B.jpeg

Last time I had to pull a motor was on my old Toyota rockcrawler...IIRC, I used the tractor, but it was a real PITA. Engine hoist couldn't even get the motor close to clearing the core support. That truck started out as an IFS truck, straight axled it with wagoneer springs in the front and chevies in the back, probably 8-10" of suspension lift.

My k20 is going to be a hassle too if I ever decide to swap motors, not the stock ride height anymore lol.

looks like woodchuckc has it sorted out!
zzzzxkk.jpe

Latest posts

Back