So what is most important?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgip2k

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For a given class of saw, what are the features you look for to rate? Power? Weight? Balance? Ergonomics? AV? Price? Rarity? Their seems to be real no winner saws, so how do you choose the one to spend the money on?

If it is a toy, it's all up in the air. If it is a tool(to make money with), I want a proven track record, and convenient parts and warranty support.

Most important is that it has to be a stihl! The saw also has to have flippy caps if it is in my working fleet.

As with everything, its a compromise of all those things. There is no best saw or best brand. You pick the things you need and like, make sure it doesn't have the the things you hate and of course it must be in your price range. If you can get all that there's your winner, if not its a back to compromises- do you hate one thing more than you love the other, do you prefer to have $100 in your pocket or the awesome new feature, do you want it to cut faster or smoother etc.

If its a collectors item then all goes and you probably pick out the saws that stand out with anything and neglect the things you hate- 120cc? Gear drive? Rare? Bow bar? Your favorite color? Nobody cares about the antivibe, fuel economy, ergonomics, weight or any of that.

Its quite problematic to pick things out nowadays, cuz you have plenty of choice and there's always some nice little things that the item you didn't pick has.

In order of priority
Cost-cheaper the better
Color-yellow n black
Follow those guidelines and you can't go wrong!:rock:

If it is a toy, it's all up in the air. If it is a tool(to make money with), I want a proven track record, and convenient parts and warranty support.

:agree2:

Another thing that I'm hooked on is inboard clutch. I have one saw with outboard clutch and I just don't like that feature.

If for play its not really a big deal, But if its for work i want something i can beat the living crap out of and then still cut a load!

For a given class of saw, what are the features you look for to rate? Power? Weight? Balance? Ergonomics? AV? Price? Rarity? Their seems to be real no winner saws, so how do you choose the one to spend the money on?

I'd ask around to find the best dealer in your area; factory-trained mechanic, full product line and longstanding solid reputation, etc. Tell the dealer what type of cutting you want to do and ask for a recommendation or two. There'll be choices between newer designs and older, proven technology. Both my dealer and I tend towards the tried-and-true hardware. I also like the pro-level saws. Dealer recommendation worked out great for me and saved many headaches over decisions.

Or you could post to AS what your cutting needs are and I'm sure you'd get great suggestions here as well. Happy hunting!

For me, price. Look at the saw, know what the make and model are, what their long term track record is (determined by reading so many threads here), then see if the price is a wicked good deal or not. If not, no sale or swap.

Once you finally have a good variety of different sized saws, you can get pickier and restrict yourself to only the best deals. I mean, any running saw cuts...once you have what you absolutely need covered, beyond that, gets into hobby or collecting a series or something. And once you have favorites, what you have found works for you the best, just snag similar parts saws.

Ergonomics and antivibe features and so on, too many variables person to person, so that you have to determine only after using a particular saw if it fits you or not, the ones that dont, send them down the line.

Sharp chain and proper power to bar length ratio everything else is debatable but those two for sure

I want just a little more power than I think I need. I want that chain sharp. I want good mix. I want parts to be available when I inevitably break something. I try hard to keep all of these wants met. Everything else is just details, nothing that can't be fixed with duct tape and baling wire. Saw's a tool.

Reliability, fuel efficiency, low emissions, decent performance. Absolute max performance and minimum weight are not very important. Chain sharpness easily overwhelms most of the performance difference between saws in a similar size range anyway.

Can it pull a 28" bar? (check)
Is it well designed? (check)
Does the airfilter work or does it inhale like a vaccum cleaner? (check)
Will it work when I need to use it? (check)
Reliable? (check)
Does it feel good in my hands? (check)

Is it a Husqvarna 460 Rancher? (Check)

Latest posts

Back