solid firewood cart 4 a ATV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodville

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm really happy with this one. Got it at Gander Mtn.

P2160051Medium.jpg

I picked this 17 cu. ft. Brinly up at HD for $300. I did have concerns about the skinnier tires, but they had no "squish" at all.

Well built and does the job for me. I've hauled at least 16 loads over a 3/8 of a mile distance so far. No problems yet.

LogLoad-1.jpg

Here's a couple vids of it in action.

Kevin

trailer

I picked this 17 cu. ft. Brinly up at HD for $300. I did have concerns about the skinnier tires, but they had no "squish" at all.

Well built and does the job for me. I've hauled at least 16 loads over a 3/8 of a mile distance so far. No problems yet.

LogLoad-1.jpg

Here's a couple vids of it in action.

Kevin

Get thee to a tire store quickly for tubes in those tires- they are notorious for leaking.:chainsaw: :givebeer: :popcorn:

I'm really happy with this one. Got it at Gander Mtn.

P2160051Medium.jpg

You must have gotten a good one of these because
I had this exact same trailer and mine would not haul wood to save its life. If I put any amount of weight in it at all the spindles ( what we would call axles) would snap right of. The company sent me 4-5 free but they just kept breakin. It is now sitting behind my barn in the junk pile....

I guess if you want a REALLY good trialer that will take some abuse you gotta pat the big money a spring for one of these two trailers

www.mountaingoattrailers.com
www.nicholstrailers.com

have not seen one of those 3-wheelrs in a LONG time.
and with chains....sweet.....just don't let your foot bounce off he pegs, that chain would hurt!!! :D

Otter outdoors

Another vote here for the Otter outdoors trailer. I have been using mine (Super Xst) for 3 years now and not a problem yet. You will not be disappointed if you get this trailer. I have hauled over 20 cord in it over those 3 years easily. I also use it to haul out ashes, any debris around the yard, wife's potted plants in the fall, old rotted wood etc. Great product.

Our 6 year ATV trailer was built by a neighbor: 3' x 4' x 2' high sides with a slide-out rear gate. It's a Subaru axle, 13" snow tires, frame is welded , body is 1" ply ( forest green if you want to know :dizzy: )
2" steel pipe and trailer tongue extends to 4 feet for some maneuverability in reverse ( still a PITA ). It broke once in below zero weather when I threw too many frozen butts on it....he warned me about it. Metallergy 101. Otherwise it's better than any of the store bought, big $$$$ ATV trailers. We pull at least 7 cords of firewood plus the same for pulp logs each year. Cost me $300. in 2001., plus $50. for the broken tongue. He's built the same for many of the ATV wood butchers and hunters here.
There must be a competent and handy welder around your way. Ask.

Oh yeah: if I were savvy, you could get a pic. Still a Luddite.

Last edited:
go to the junk yard and get the rear axle from a 80's or 90's dodge caravan tell them you want the bolts cut from the shackles where the bolt to the frame (got a couple from a local yard for $75 each) then just use some wood to build the bed of the trailer. I have built a couple one for myself and one for my uncle. They both have been in service for a few years now. I have an articat 400 atv and can put about 1/4 - 1/2 of a cord on it and still pull it fine with the atv

skidding

I'd just skid the log to the pickup and cut and load there! Using carts is a waste of time and money... After doing the cart thing for awhile you'll change your strategies..:agree2:

I'd just skid the log to the pickup and cut and load there! Using carts is a waste of time and money... After doing the cart thing for awhile you'll change your strategies..:agree2:

We have quite a bit of wood down in a back part of our property. Lots of mud on the trail. It would be nice not to have to drag logs through all the soft spots.

Seems a trailer would be the ticket for that kind of application.

After perusing this thread, it sure has me in the mood to weld one up. I like the idea of a tilt bed. I'm going to start kicking this around.

Well if you're going to build your own trailer make it with the van tires thats what we did and those trailers won't bog down.

The tires are the weak link in mostly all BB store trailers ...you may as well put tubes in them asap plus they'll sink out of site if you're working in foul conditions.

Now, like ziggy, we just drag our trees up to the bucking area. Way less handling makes for better production.

Not all terrain allows for skidding.

The area I get all of my wood from doesn't have access for a truck. Most of the trails are just wide enough for an ATV. A lot of people won't consider this area for getting wood since these are the conditions. My strategy saves me money, takes more time but I have the available time to do it. I can get my wood for home heating at a cost of about $5 a cord (give or take a little) and my old truck cannot even be started for less than $5. (454 under the hood) As long as the wood is cheap and I can do the work, I'm going to haul with an ATV and trailer. With the energy prices going through the roof, I'll use the method that saves me $. :cheers:

atv

They have a log skidder for atv's you could build one yourself using and old car hood.
I'm just saying get the wood from point A to point B as fast as possible you can never tell about mother nature:popcorn:

Who makes a strong decent cart for hauling firewood out of the woods with a 4 wheeler? Lowes and homedepot have the ones for your lawn mower but thay don't seem like thay would like to be loaded with firewood and pulled through the woods for to long.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=122426-56541-FC-10&lpage=none
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07124420000P?adCell=A3

I have the sears one you posted, I use it behind my lawn tractor, I've filled it up pretty high but not crazy. So far so Good I've had more problems hauling crushed rock in it the wood. If you over load it it will twist abit which makes the tilt and locking mechanisim cranky, but I don't think you coulf over load it with wood.

I'm not sure what the C/F of this one is but I know I've seen larger ones and HD and other stores. I'm thinking a ATV could probably handle a bigger trailer.

Steel or no?

Another question to ask yourself is do you want it to be steel or not. I looked at quite a few before buying and I couldn't imagine listening to that constant rattle, clang, bang of some of the steel trailers as they were being pulled at 10 to 15 mph. I pack gear in mine when I go hunting and really enjoy the fact that it is quiet. Also check the load rating and dimensions of the trailer. I read that the Super Xst was just under 4 foot wide (same as an atv) so I knew I could load it easily into a pickup and haul it. The trailer is rated for 1500 to 2000 lbs which I do not hesitate to test. I haul in muddy sloppy areas, the wide flotation tires help out a bunch. I really may have over shopped before I purchased but that trailer wasn't cheap and I wanted it to last for years. I'm convinced that it will.:)

Back