Spark plugs at the Stihl dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a little FYI at least as it pertains to automotive spark plugs (generally the $$$ ones like iridium/yttrium ones) there are counterfit NGK plugs on the market, usually found on ebay and amazon. I had a friend that had this happen to him for some plugs he bought on amazon, IIRC he called NGK and after the info he gave them, they agreed that there is a good chance the plugs he got were not legit. I forgot what tipped him off I think it was that he still had a couple from an older order from rock auto (very good chance of being legit) and ordered the balance from amazon.

NO BS!!!

http://ngk.sr/technical-information/fake-spark-plug/ ^^^LINK TO NGK's site about it^^^

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture"

Just a little FYI at least as it pertains to automotive spark plugs (generally the $$$ ones like iridium/yttrium ones) there are counterfit NGK plugs on the market, usually found on ebay and amazon. I had a friend that had this happen to him for some plugs he bought on amazon, IIRC he called NGK and after the info he gave them, they agreed that there is a good chance the plugs he got were not legit. I forgot what tipped him off I think it was that he still had a couple from an older order from rock auto (very good chance of being legit) and ordered the balance from amazon.

NO BS!!!

Here is a link to NGK's site about it

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Damn China!

At that rate i would clean them with a wire wheel and re install them. That is what i usually do anyways.
I do that and keep them in use until they won`t work properly, since they did away with lead in the gasoline spark plugs last a lot longer. I did not pay the $25. for one plug, told them to keep it. I am also lucky enough to have friends in many places, supply chains and such. My last purchase worked out at around $2.50 per plug bought in bulk.

$25!!!! some of my saws cost less than that!!!!! :surprised3:

About 20 years ago, there was a guy on Ebay that had boxes of German Bosch plugs cheap. I brought up a few boxes.............I think they were $10 shipped.

Another Ebay guy had 20 or 25" loops of 33RS, 5/$75 shipped. I still have a stash of those too.

Those days are goneView attachment 871131View attachment 871132View attachment 871133
I got in on the rental dept deal when the saw got a new chain each time it went out, they were actually using Stihl and Oregon chain then and I got the good ones that wern`t smoked. 72 dl of 3/8" RS back then for $2. a loop and 66 or74 DL of ,325 for the same $2. a loop. I bought a couple of 5 gallon buckets of each. They were not safety chains back when I got mine, now they use safety chain and are not allowed to sell the removed chain.

West Germany hasn't existed since 1989.
What is special about 30+ year old spark plugs?

$75 in 2000 is about $115 in today's money. So $23 a loop.

Most people aren't price shopping on a couple dollar item. $5 on a plug for the saw... may as well while they are at it. Not worth running across town to save $1 or 2.

Prices often come down to economy of scale.
Maybe that dealer only sells 10 spark plugs a year.
Perhaps their supplier doesn't sell many either, so their price isn't awesome.

West Germany hasn't existed since 1989.
What is special about 30+ year old spark plugs?

$75 in 2000 is about $115 in today's money. So $23 a loop.

Most people aren't price shopping on a couple dollar item. $5 on a plug for the saw... may as well while they are at it. Not worth running across town to save $1 or 2.

Prices often come down to economy of scale.
Maybe that dealer only sells 10 spark plugs a year.
Perhaps their supplier doesn't sell many either, so their price isn't awesome.

Dealer gets spark plugs from Stihl. How many do You, think they sell a year? 1 or 2

From: https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/27526/best-spark-plugs

Spark Plug Pricing

Under $3: There are several spark plugs available in this value-priced range. Buyers must do their homework before purchasing cheaper spark plugs due to the vastly varying degree of quality.

$3-$9: The majority of spark plugs fall into this pricing segment. Most shoppers choose a spark plug priced in this range because they tend to offer an ideal blend of efficiency, longevity, performance, and value.

Over $9: Spark plugs priced in this range tend to feature a durable construction using premium materials, advanced electrode designs, and unparalleled performance, efficiency, and longevity.

Back