Spark plugs at the Stihl dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NGK being made in China, Brazil, plus Japan.

Yesterday I seen a new one while looking at huskys. NGK plugs assembled in Thailand now I guess too. Wonder which country sent the parts to them.
‍♂️

Also a member in CRG said he seen Malaysia too.

ngkthailand.jpgngkthailand.jpgngkthailand.jpg

The ford N likely requires R plugs, which would be low production.

R plugs? You mean resistor? HELL NO!!! It has solid core copper wires and will FU radios and televisions when I drive by. :D

Same plugs have other applications, 60s AMC cars for one. So yes some compatible plugs are resistor. I use NGK 3112, 6pk shipped/$15.50. The new Autolites are junk!

That tractor is 80 years old, and will still be running when the 2020 models are scrapped.

My 48 Ford 8n gets nos Autolite or Champion made in Canada or The USA.Henry Ford would send out a lynch party if he was still alive to hunt you down for putting Japanese plugs in his and Harry Fergusens horse replacement machine.
Agreed on the new plugs are crap.
Kash

My 48 Ford 8n gets nos Autolite or Champion made in Canada or The USA.Henry Ford would send out a lynch party if he was still alive to hunt you down for putting Japanese plugs in his and Harry Fergusens horse replacement machine.
Agreed on the new plugs are crap.
Kash
@KASH I concur.

I had no problem with the old Autolite plugs. The new ones rust to manure in a VERY short time. My 9N lives under a heavy military tarp 24/7.

Worse than plugs, is finding good ignition/distributor parts. I have NOS stash of Ford dist parts, and Blue Steak/Echlin points. My 9N still is 6V + ground and starts up when I need to plow snow. The China distributor parts are said to last about a year, per old sages on the tractor websites.

When I brought the 9N tractor ~ 30 years ago it had been serviced by a long time Ford dealer. In fact he told me it was the 2nd "N" his father sold, in 1940. I only had to go into the front mount distributor this summer as the N was dying when it got hot brush hogging. It still ran well and pulled a 5' brush hog/rotary cutter in 2nd gear. Besides cleaning up the only thing inside the distributor that was beyond reusing were the Ford logo points, and those could have been filed ( I saved all those parts). In fact timing was not off too far. I replaced those and the cap/rotor with NOS Ford parts. I'd bought those when I purchased the tractor, also some spare USA points.

Tractor still cut out hot, coil was going bad. Can't find those NOS. TSC had a China coil in stock ~$45. I took a look and the whole top of coil was loose, brand new! WTF!!!
I went to NAPA and paid ~$90 for an Echlin coil (not USA but well made) and it runs like it should again; mows fields all day on 5-gal of cheap gas . Still 6V + ground.

I'll post some pictures of the original ign parts w/Ford logo when I can. I wish I had more.

P.S. I found some stuff at the hardware store you can use to make fixture for timing the front mount dist. You just need a 5/16 bolt, some washers/nuts, and a bushing. Make it easy to set timing with a straight edge and multimeter. PM and I'll send you a picture.

Well I drifted away from my original post, but I hijacked my own.:)

Just to keep this legal I use the 8n to haul my chain saw .i pull out trees with the rear scoop.I can still get Echlin and Blue streak.Any coil from a 6volt vehicle will fit on your 9n.If you go 12v get a coil with internal resistor Napa etc internal resistance around 3 ohms.
Ok I will try to be good and stay on chain saw related threads but old tractors are another of my personal hobbies I have 6.If you have any questions on the Fords pm me I know a fair bit about them.
Kash

Just to keep this legal I use the 8n to haul my chain saw .i pull out trees with the rear scoop.I can still get Echlin and Blue streak.Any coil from a 6volt vehicle will fit on your 9n.If you go 12v get a coil with internal resistor Napa etc internal resistance around 3 ohms.
Ok I will try to be good and stay on chain saw related threads but old tractors are another of my personal hobbies I have 6.If you have any questions on the Fords pm me I know a fair bit about them.
Kash

Kash, you have to MacGuyver a std. 6V coil if you want to use it on a front mount N. I just replaced mine with a Echlin/NAPA.

Back to OP. I got some NGKs for the saws, they are made in Brazil.

Merry Christmas all!

Kash, you have to MacGuyver a std. 6V coil if you want to use it on a front mount N. I just replaced mine with a Echlin/NAPA.

Back to OP. I got some NGKs for the saws, they are made in Brazil.

Merry Christmas all!
MP. Just checked my NGK saw plugs I got a NAPA last summer. All marked Japan. Merry Christmas brother.

Bumping this one for the connoisseurs. Had never thought about buying saw plugs at my Friendly Local Auto Parts Store. But given my local geography, that is far easier. So, thanks for this blindingly obvious tip.

And I was seeing way expensive plugs from cheap countries too at my not quite so local tractor dealer while an AutoTune saw just eats the things monthly or quicker. You would think a device that theoretically can be USB’d into your personal ecosystem of electronic devices could then use one of those devices to software tweak a fuel setup to account for slack manufacturing tolerances in cheap countries that make the parts where the actual fuel meets the actual spark, in the real world, not a tastefully landscaped office park with a clubhouse by the parking lot with after work martini mixers, where the software is designed. But I guess that would be asking for too much from the Faceless Men in a foreign land that control such things in the 21st Century.

So this thread inspired me to shop local with a different faceless men cult down at several FLAPS that all pitch in to keep my 540K diesel on the road every day. Each “got any NGK plugs back there” inquiry at the counter was met with an instant dive for a keyboard & mouse for that so so difficult question. And the answer was the same at each place - “we can order them.” So I finally pulled that annoying drive-back-over-here-again-tomorrow trigger at my local-est FLAPS; here comes a regular.

$3.29 each, Japan stamped. They arrived in single plug blister packs for hanging on retail shelves, the way you expect to see them at the various big supply box tractor stores. Take up a little more space in the saw tool box, but an overall better package too. Ima gonna go back and get me some more.

Latest posts

Back