Speculation on next years market?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Timber

1/4 bubble off
Reaction score
With this year being as cold and long lasting as it's been, do you think the storm damaged trees from the last couple years will be exhausted and prices will go up next year or is this just going to be taken in stride?

Probably depends where you live. Had a low snow/ average temp winter out here. Don't think much will change next year.

I'm betting it will be really good. I'm going to start cutting as soon as the trees start to leaf out, so I can see which ones didn't make it through the winter. Last year I just kinda goofed off until I woke up and was like, OK it's April better get some cutting done.

Yeah the elms are already starting to pollenate..so that's a dead giveaway there...oaks will be out mid-March, hickory and pecan later.. maybe in May The benefit of living in the south!!

I read that people are selling out of firewood left and right in the NE and MW with the cold and the LP and NG price gouging. Next year will likely be strong, but then it will depend on winter temps. If it reverts to a warmer winter like the previous 2 years, the market will sag again. If its cold again, the firewood market will likely spike in price...

Mild winter out west here so far ... but the nightly news about the rest of North America has me working steady and stocking up. It may be our turn to get hit hard next year. I have next 2 years in the Wood Palace and lots more bucked green wood on the ground waiting to split.

I agree that wood prices next year may creep up some in anticipation, but will only sustain and increase if the cold hits hard again. Around here, the wood sellers usually don't get busy until November, then everyone wants seasoned wood yesterday :rolleyes: After a long hot summer, memories get short.

-

There will likely be a slight overall increase in demand for all things related to woodburning just before next winter sets in. That said, I'd certainly hate to be in the market to buy anything right now!
As stated above, most people have very short memories. The current crisis will pass and in the end you'll see a handful of people who were probably already on the fence wanting to 'convert' to wood. When folks see that heating with wood is not free and not easy, you'll probably see a bunch of slightly used stoves and furnaces on the market.

For the long term, most people will go with 'easy' and just pay the bill. History invariably repeats itself in these kinds of situations.
There is no such thing as too much firewood though. It's money in the bank if you have the storage space.

Those idiots that can't get the current weather right are calling for 3 or 4 more winters like this. some kind of cycle.

Checked the local shoppers guide, usually theres 3 or 4 listings of firewood for sale didn't see a single listing. I better keep a close eye on my stacks

Latest posts

Back