Sta-Bil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody use this stuff? I bought some the other day to put in my seldom-used machines, motorcycle, leaf blower, etc. and wondered if I just wasted my money. Some people I know recommend it and others use something else. Any thoughts?

It works fine. So does Seafoam. For small engines that sit a long time between uses, I empty the gas and run them dry before storing, also spraying the cylinders with fogging oil. I do this with my boat and mower in fall and my snowmobile and snowblower in spring.

I'd do it with my saws, too, but even in winter I run them now and then, even if there's no wood to cut. :)

:rock: I do the same thing, have for years. I've cleaned way to much varnish from other peoples carbs. People think fuel lasts forever.

steve

It works. I add it to all the fuel I mix. I don't drain anything over the winter. Just add fresh fuel in spring and fire right up. The mower is what tells me this stuff works. 7 years on this mower its a POS B&S 3.5hp and it starts 1st pull every spring with the last seasons gas in it.

I think the worse way to store engines is with small amounts of gas. Smaller amounts spoil faster. If you run them out of gas , the carb should be drained or I crank on them with the choke on until they will not fire, because any gas left in the carb likely will turn to varnish shortly. If I anticipate starting the engine in less then 3 months I usually fill it near the top. An older dude gave me that advice years ago and I have had much better results then just running them out wthout making sure the carb is empty.
As far as Stabil , I have no desire to use it again even if it was give to me. Had my brothers wrecked car stored here. Always started after sitting for months until my brother brought 5 gallons of fresh gas and added stabil to it before putting it into the car. That was the last day the car started on its own. Until then I was unsure if Stabil did any good or not.
Sea Foam is great for dissolving gas varnish, I am not sure how good it is as a fuel stabilizer, but I add a little in engines thats not being started regularly and have had great results. I like to put some in before running engines dry also.

I use a combination of Stabil, Marvel Mystery Oil and Lucas for all my small engines. I use the Lucas in my vehicles every 6 weeks or so also. Used to have some issues, do not now. Not saying it is the answer but it worked for me.

Stabil does help. Beginning September I use Stabil in all lawn equip.
In the spring all gas is dumped, fresh gas flushed thru lines and carb. They all start right up. One rider, I've never had the carb off in it's 16 year life.
Just for grins, I put Seafoam in 1st tanks in the spring.
Some chainsaws I run dry, others is old dump and fresh flush.

Sta-Bil helps.....but is not perfect. It does help to extend the life of the fuel for a while...but not forever. If your equipment is kept in a garage or barn where temperature extremes are mild it is better and the fuel will last longer - if you have a metal pole barn like mine and the temperatures get really hot in the summer and cold and damp in the winter - it is much better to remove the fuel if you are not going to be using the equipment for a few months.

I think the biggest problem with fuel happens in engines with a gravity fuel system (no fuel pump). I believe what happens is the gasoline portion of the fuel in the float bowl evaporates and the float drops and more fuel comes in.....and this repeats and in a few months the only thing left in the float bowl is the ethanol portion of the fuel. If the float bowl is alumimum the ethanol reacts with the aluminum and corrodes the carb.

On equipment with gravity fuel systems I make sure I use up all the fuel when I last use it for the season and run them dry. On equipment with fuel pumps and fuel shut-offs I turn the valve off and let them idle until the carb is out of fuel. On any of my 2 cycle engines I dump the fuel out of the tank and let them run at idle until the engine stops - there is plenty of oil in the mix to keep the engine protected while it runs out of fuel while idling. Stihl recommends this in their manual when the saw will not be used for 2 months or more.

I have used Stabil in all my saws,ride on mower,wood slitter,quod bike,wipper snipper,blower vack for years have never had a fuel problem. Maybe lucky or it works.

Anybody use this stuff? I bought some the other day to put in my seldom-used machines, motorcycle, leaf blower, etc. and wondered if I just wasted my money. Some people I know recommend it and others use something else. Any thoughts?

I've been using Sta-Bil for about seven years and it works. We still have non ethanol gas and I'm running 10 month old 89 octane gas. All the small engines get it and not one fuel system problem.

I use it and swear by it! Money issues a few years back forced the decision to not put my Harley on the road that year. The following spring, more than 1.5 years later I rode my bike with that fuel in it.

There seems to be a newer version of Sta-bil. I bought some Sta-bil years ago when it first came out and used it for awhile. It turned all the fuel system components yellow inside so I quit using it. This newer stuff is red and I'm thinking it's a different formula and maybe better than original. Anyway, I've got some now and am using small amounts in my seldom used engines. Thanks, everyone, for your input.

I used to use it in my saws (still do in my lawnmower/weedeater) but I stopped in my saws for 3 reasons:

1) My oil mix already has stabilzer in it - I think all the major brands have this? Echo, Stihl & husky all list "with fuel stabilizer" on the bottle.

2) Initially I was concerned that adding stabilizer (even though its a small amount) would affect the lean-ness of the mixture.
I know its not a lot, but if people are worried at 40:1 vs 50:1 etc, then surely 10-20ml of stabilizer is something to consider too.

3) I just dont have the need any more as I have started mixing less gas and running saws more than I ever used to - ie. gas just doesnt sit around at my place any more - except sometimes in the Tiller/Mower etc - thus they still do get the sta-bil.

Number 2 isnt/wasnt a huge concern to me, but because of point 1 (and more importantly) point 3 I just stopped using it in the saws.

Last edited:
I have been using stabil for about 2 years and have more problems with my 2 stroke stuff not wanting to run 2 week old mix cold. When I used stihl mix only and mixed a gallon that would usually last about 2 months I had no problems with anything starting. I duno if it is that stabil or not but the only thing that seams to have changed is my use of it.

I have been using stabil for about 2 years and have more problems with my 2 stroke stuff not wanting to run 2 week old mix cold. When I used stihl mix only and mixed a gallon that would usually last about 2 months I had no problems with anything starting. I duno if it is that stabil or not but the only thing that seams to have changed is my use of it.

Well I can't explain this......I have never had the same problem. I always add Sta-Bil to my fuel as I never know for sure which piece of equipment it is going to be used in. My saws always start and always run fine.......as long as they are in good shape otherwise. The Sta-Bil has never caused a starting issue for me.

Have they started doing funky EPA things to your fuel in Ottumwa?

we sta-bil every can of strait gas and so far no problems, put the mower to rest in november with a double dose of stabil and in april it cranked over about 2 times and fired right up and still run good 2 days ago. and heck it even sits outside all year long. as for the 2 stroke stuff i only mix 1 gallon at a time and only use stihl ultra mix, weedeater ran fine this spring on last falls gas.

Are any of you guys using 2 cycle oil with fuel stabilizer already in it? we've been using the "universal" ratio oil (which has the fuel stabilizer in it) without any problems.

Fuel is so bad these days... seems to go bad as fast as a sneeze.

I suppose the next question is, how many of you are actually running low ethanol fuel (91 or 92 octane) instead of 87?

I suppose the next question is, how many of you are actually running low ethanol fuel (91 or 92 octane) instead of 87?

Are you sure the high octane fuel in your area is low ethanol? I talked to the bulk distributor in this area and everything is mixed with 10% ethanol - no exceptions.

Your really should test your fuel to confirm the ethanol content, you can compare your regular and premium and see if they have similar amounts of ethanol. Here is a link to see how to test for ethanol - go to Post #10 and I have photographs that show how to test.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=118627

High octane fuel is very unlikely to have less ethanol in it, as the ethanol itself is a much higher octane and thus an easy way to get the octane number up.

Back