Stihl Farm Boss ms 290....thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update:

Bought It!

Taking someone's advice of can't have too many saws!

That and it will be nice to have for when my cousin helps me out. Will make it a lot easier to convince him to help if he is atleast using my equipment.

Bought It!

Taking someone's advice of can't have too many saws!

That and it will be nice to have for when my cousin helps me out. Will make it a lot easier to convince him to help if he is atleast using my equipment.

That's why I still have my 290. I keep it for my brothers who come to cut and especially for my oldest brother who has a knack for abusing anything with a combustion engine. It's also my backup saw until I add a 70+cc model to my collection.

May it serve you well!

That's why I still have my 290. I keep it for my brothers who come to cut and especially for my oldest brother who has a knack for abusing anything with a combustion engine. It's also my backup saw until I add a 70+cc model to my collection.

May it serve you well!

thanks

where are you located?

thanks

where are you located?

I'm just outside of New Castle--almost New Wilmington (the other PA Amish country)
amish.gif

Last edited:
now that your in this saw world and buying saws just to have ill throw out my recomendation for you next saw.

id recomend a 359 along with some porting tools, you could make that thing run with your 046 and have less vibes and be noticably lighter.
i ported my 359 and it freakn runs, ive got 24" bare on it and it puts a grin on my face every time it drops through bar size wood likes its hot butter. the ported 359 wwould realy amaze you and many on this site.

i know there talked about being ported and running well but believe 90 percent of ASS members realy have no clue how wild this thing is.. its my play toy saw and does work to. ive cut lots off 24" even 30 plus wood and it doesnt quit.

i also have stihl 310 its not a bad saw. a muffler mod woke it up some and its running a 25" bar wich i feel is much to long for it.

ive also got muffler modded 026 wich is alittle smaller then a 290 ive muffler modded mine im pretty sure with an 18" bar itl be much lighter and run right there with a 290.

these thoughts come only because you just got the saw just because, might be the first sign of CAD

I'm just outside of New Castle--almost New Wilmington (the other PA Amish country)
amish.gif

my in-laws live in new castle...shenango township

i make it up there a bit to fish and i'm going to be turkey hunting in a month at moraine.

and....my next saw will be a Stihl 200...need to replace the 192 and officially throw away the echo 330

i run a 310 with a 25" bar not MM yet and it holds its own. my buddy runs a 36 inch bar on his 460 and it does alright. my next saw wont be a 460 its gonna be a 441, iv decided thats gonna be my ultimate firewood saw.

Latest posts

Back