Stihl is WAYY better than Huskie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I joined the party late, but just couldn't help but chime in.

(the rant is on)

It kills me that some people think it's their right to know what a retailer pays for his or her goods and then thinks they should have the right to tell that person whats a fair profit to make on a sale. The only thing that should matter to a consumer is the price that they pay for a good or service; period.

If the price is too high, don't buy it. If the price is acceptable (or better yet, you think you are getting a smokin' deal) jump on it.

It is the responsibility of the retailer and the market to set an acceptable selling price. I don't always agree with Thall's posts, but if he wants to make $1,000.00 on every saw he sells, that's his business. Granted, at those prices he won't be in business for long; but it's not the place of the consumer to get mad at him and call him out on it. Simply vote with your wallet and patronize another dealer. On the other hand, if other dealers are holding out for $1,500.00, Thall is giving out some great deals and he'll probably be in business for quite some time. He may not get rich, but he'll be around.

Most consumers don't realize that if a widgit costs a retailer $1,000.00 and they sell it for $1,001.00, the retailer just lost money. There are other costs associated with a good or service than simply the raw cost of that product. There are the shipping costs to get that product to the shelf, the overhead of the store (heat, lights, phone, etc...), advertising and the list goes on and on. It just makes me crazy. Dealer cost is just that, dealer cost.

Do you walk into the meat market and ask the butcher what the paid for that cow on the hoof and then tell him that $8.99 is too much for a filet?

(rant over...for now)

Going for beer...:bang: :bang: :bang:

Do you walk into the meat market and ask the butcher what the paid for that cow on the hoof and then tell him that $8.99 is too much for a filet?

No , but I tell him which ones I want, how I want them cut, and how many I'll take.

If the price is too high or he gets uppity --- I will go elsewhere.

And I will not be embarrassed to tell him why .

I joined the party late, but just couldn't help but chime in.

(the rant is on)

It kills me that some people think it's their right to know what a retailer pays for his or her goods and then thinks they should have the right to tell that person whats a fair profit to make on a sale. The only thing that should matter to a consumer is the price that they pay for a good or service; period.

If the price is too high, don't buy it. If the price is acceptable (or better yet, you think you are getting a smokin' deal) jump on it.

It is the responsibility of the retailer and the market to set an acceptable selling price. I don't always agree with Thall's posts, but if he wants to make $1,000.00 on every saw he sells, that's his business. Granted, at those prices he won't be in business for long; but it's not the place of the consumer to get mad at him and call him out on it. Simply vote with your wallet and patronize another dealer. On the other hand, if other dealers are holding out for $1,500.00, Thall is giving out some great deals and he'll probably be in business for quite some time. He may not get rich, but he'll be around.

Most consumers don't realize that if a widgit costs a retailer $1,000.00 and they sell it for $1,001.00, the retailer just lost money. There are other costs associated with a good or service than simply the raw cost of that product. There are the shipping costs to get that product to the shelf, the overhead of the store (heat, lights, phone, etc...), advertising and the list goes on and on. It just makes me crazy. Dealer cost is just that, dealer cost.

(rant over...for now)

Going for beer...:bang: :bang: :bang:

Good post there. Funny how costs verses retail have become such a issue and the answer is so simple. I had a customer tell me once I will give you 30.00 over cost on the HT101 pole prunner. I asked him if he knew the cost, he said no but that I would have to show him before he would give me 30.00 over cost. To keep from busting out laffing in his face I did just that, I showed him the exact cost. He figured up his price by adding 30.00 and said we got a deal. I said really, cool, your price is what it says on the tag and not a penny less. He goes what do you mean, you don't want to sell it. I said we're not in the give away business and it will be sold to someone else. He ranted and raved and I finally told him the worst word all customers hate to hear, NO. The answer is NO, like it or lump it the answer is NO, problem solved. Where I work those that come jewing go out the door stewing. They can take their squeaky tight azzes elsewhere and try to jew folks down to nothing but not where I work. In fact we take great pleasure with such customers. We letem go on and on and then we slam the smack down on them with a smile. They leave mad, we laff and thats that. Our thinking is simple, no business needs customers in which you have to almost give away the product to them. They are a pure waste of time but good for alot of laffs. Prime example just last week. Sold a fellow a 192T. He begged for a discount and I gave him 20.00 off, he wanted 40.00 off, I said no, 20.00 off, take it or leave it. He took the saw after another 20 minutes of being told no 40.00 off. The next day he came back and said man I love that saw, I said great. He wanted some parts for a old 041 he has. The part total was 4.00, a few screws for the starter housing. He says well you can give me those since I just bought a saw yesterday. I said oh really, give me 24.00 buddy. He goes what, I said give me 24.00. He goes why, I said because I'm getting like you, I'd like something for nothing too. He got the hint.

Now I know many will read the above and say I wouldn't buy nothing from that SOB. To those I say great, don't wanna deal with ya anyway if ya want everything for nothing. See now that wasn't hard. Fact of the matter is there are way too many good customers to be wasting time with a few pain in the azz customers. So if your a pain in the azz customer, and you know if you are or not, just keep on going for your type of business is not profitable, welcome nor needed. See its so easy to resolve price and cost issues afterall.

Wood Rat come by the shop and try to pull your number and we'll show you not only how you came in but how to leave,:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

I have never been a PITA costumer - I pay what the dealer tell me to pay, some times I get a discount and/or extras, some times not...... :chainsawguy:

I have never been a PITA costumer - I pay what the dealer tell me to pay, some times I get a discount and/or extras, some times not...... :chainsawguy:

Sawtroll I would give you discount after discount and you wouldn't have to ask for them either for one simple reason, your reasonable. Trust me I give discounts all the time to many, many people if they act reasonable, thats all they have to do. These boneheads that come in jewing and thinking they are doing us a favor, ha, they get nothing but made fun of and leave mad, in other words they get exactly what they deserve. When your in the selling business its easy to spot a pain in the azz customer and its just as easy to spot a good customer too. We take good care of our good customers, the pita's well they get treated quite differently.

Good post there. Funny how costs verses retail have become such a issue and the answer is so simple. I had a customer tell me once I will give you 30.00 over cost on the HT101 pole prunner. I asked him if he knew the cost, he said no but that I would have to show him before he would give me 30.00 over cost. To keep from busting out laffing in his face I did just that, I showed him the exact cost. He figured up his price by adding 30.00 and said we got a deal. I said really, cool, your price is what it says on the tag and not a penny less. He goes what do you mean, you don't want to sell it. I said we're not in the give away business and it will be sold to someone else. He ranted and raved and I finally told him the worst word all customers hate to hear, NO. The answer is NO, like it or lump it the answer is NO, problem solved. Where I work those that come jewing go out the door stewing. They can take their squeaky tight azzes elsewhere and try to jew folks down to nothing but not where I work. In fact we take great pleasure with such customers. We letem go on and on and then we slam the smack down on them with a smile. They leave mad, we laff and thats that. Our thinking is simple, no business needs customers in which you have to almost give away the product to them. They are a pure waste of time but good for alot of laffs. Prime example just last week. Sold a fellow a 192T. He begged for a discount and I gave him 20.00 off, he wanted 40.00 off, I said no, 20.00 off, take it or leave it. He took the saw after another 20 minutes of being told no 40.00 off. The next day he came back and said man I love that saw, I said great. He wanted some parts for a old 041 he has. The part total was 4.00, a few screws for the starter housing. He says well you can give me those since I just bought a saw yesterday. I said oh really, give me 24.00 buddy. He goes what, I said give me 24.00. He goes why, I said because I'm getting like you, I'd like something for nothing too. He got the hint.

Now I know many will read the above and say I wouldn't buy nothing from that SOB. To those I say great, don't wanna deal with ya anyway if ya want everything for nothing. See now that wasn't hard. Fact of the matter is there are way too many good customers to be wasting time with a few pain in the azz customers. So if your a pain in the azz customer, and you know if you are or not, just keep on going for your type of business is not profitable, welcome nor needed. See its so easy to resolve price and cost issues afterall.

Wood Rat come by the shop and try to pull your number and we'll show you not only how you came in but how to leave,:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

Wow. That just about sums it up for any one/company who has to deal with selling a product and/or service. I Had seven calls from a customer in the same day recently; 6 of them weren't needed.

Thal's sales specials are "I'll sell you a brand new one for list price, and if you act now I'll sell you another one for the same deal!" :hmm3grin2orange:

Thal's sales specials are "I'll sell you a brand new one for list price, and if you act now I'll sell you another one for the same deal!" :hmm3grin2orange:

And if ya come begging and jewing your going out the door mad and stewing,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

BTW if I dont like a Dealer prices I go elsewhere. One good thing about Husky is that you can see what they are going for on the net and then gauge your local dealers price against the online price.
My dealer is always alittle more, but not much and still cheaper Stihl for like models. He also stocks most parts, which is very important to me and the only reason I dont go the net sale route.
Of course Stihl pricing seems to be all over the place depending on the area.

BTW if I dont like a Dealer prices I go elsewhere. One good thing about Husky is that you can see what they are going for on the net and then gauge your local dealers price against the online price.
My dealer is always alittle more, but not much and still cheaper Stihl for like models. He also stocks most parts, which is very important to me and the only reason I dont go the net sale route.

Stihl pricing all over the place,haha, get real Ben. 357xp's for 702.25 at the small time dealer here, 499.00 over the net, whos prices are all over the place again?????????

Last edited:

And that is the reason Husqvarna's are the number one selling saw .

The only reason I would buy a Stihl is if I got a heck of a deal. I would never deal with a dealer WHO THINKS HE IS DOING ME A FAVOR by selling me an item, too many dealers to put up with that nonsense.

Last edited:

Yup, I'm the same way. I've never gone to any retailer and asked for a break. I see the sticker price, and if I like it, I buy it, if not, I don't. I can't stand haggling for things. (with the exception being at a flea markets or sales)

I have never been a PITA costumer - I pay what the dealer tell me to pay, some times I get a discount and/or extras, some times not......

Tom always gives out extras.

1. Extra BS
  2. Extra-dull chain
  3. Extra-old mix in the tank
  4. Extra BS
  5. Extra spark plugs (with the wrong gap)
  6. Extra drain oil in the bar tank
  7. Extra BS...

Stihl pricing all over the place,haha, get real Ben. 357xp's for 702.25 at the small time dealer here, 499.00 over the net, whos prices are all over the place again?????????
The last Stihl I bought was a 361. Called the three dealers in the local area to get a price and there was, if memory serves a $175 differance between the cheapest and the most expensive.
The guys in the North West and out East always seem to have lower prices than we do in the Midwest as well.
My local guys priceon a 357 is , last time I checked $358 with a 20" RSN bar.

And that is the reason Husqvarna's are the number one selling saw .

The only reason I would buy a Stihl is if I got a heck of a deal. I would never deal with a dealer WHO THINKS HE IS DOING ME A FAVOR by selling me an item, too many dealers to put up with that nonsense.

Got a heck of deal for you Wood, come on up and get it, its called the road,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

BTW Wood, out of curoisty what did you pay for your 395 Husky, I bet my new 660 was cheaper. Lets compare.

Nothings worse than some jerk off with a inflated self worth and a sense of entitlement.

The last Stihl I bought was a 361. Called the three dealers in the local area to get a price and there was, if memory serves a $175 differance between the cheapest and the most expensive.
The guys in the North West and out East always seem to have lower prices than we do in the Midwest as well.
My local guys priceon a 357 is , last time I checked $358 with a 20" RSN bar.

List on a 361/20inch is 589.95 across the entire country Ben, what prices were you given?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back