Stihl MS261 or Husqvarna 545?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasatch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I was all ready to go buy the MS 261cm when Husqvarna started their fall sales event. They are offering a $75 rebate on the 545. The 545 would be $435 vs $570 for the Stihl. Even the 550xp is less with its current $40 off plus $50 rebate.

I'm a homeowner who gets a firewood permit every year for 4 cords. I only cut dead pine, and nothing really over 25" in width. My main issue is elevation changes. I cut from 6,500 to 10,000 ft.

I guess I'm worried about the long term reliability and the AutoTune working properly on the 545. The dealer has 2017 model 545's Thanks for the feedback.

Arnt the more later auto tunes and m-tronics more reliable? I'd take the 261 even though I am husky lover. I am under the impression that the 545 is an over restricted detuned 50cc.

I bought a very early 550 XP and have had zero issues with the auto tune or anything else for that matter. I think I've had it about three years now. I also cut primarily pine in elevations similar to yourself (6000-9000 ft) for heating my home. I think you'll come to appreciate The extra "zip" that the 550 XP will give you over the 545 for a just little more $$$. I really like how the auto tune dial's itself in no matter what the elevation. you'll get a little more bang for your buck with husky but Stihl makes a very high-quality product as well with their M-tronic version of husky's autotune 261. I know plenty of guys that have those and love them as well.
The newer generation autotune he has had very few problems across several different saws.
Really don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices. Update us with what you decide on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a very early 550 XP and have had zero issues with the auto tune or anything else for that matter. I think I've had it about three years now. I also cut primarily pine in elevations similar to yourself (6000-9000 ft) for heating my home. I think you'll come to appreciate The extra "zip" that the 550 XP will give you over the 545 for a just little more $$$. I really like how the auto tune dial's itself in no matter what the elevation. you'll get a little more bang for your buck with husky but Stihl makes a very high-quality product as well with their M-tronic version of husky's autotune 261. I know plenty of guys that have those and love them as well.
The newer generation autotune he has had very few problems across several different saws.
Really don't think you can go wrong with any of those choices. Update us with what you decide on.

Thanks, I'm definitely considering the 550 XP now. It would be $510 pre tax. What length bar do you run? I'm wondering if the 20" would be fine in dead pine. Whatever I get it will be a big step up from my 10 yo 36cc Craftsman.

Yes it will definitely be a big step in the right direction. Your old craftsman I will probably get very little use going forward as it is hard to go back once you run a 550. I like an 18 inch personally. I have tried both 16" and 20" as well. 550 will have no problem pulling a 20 inch bar. That's probably as long as I would go though.

It has become my most used saw and is indispensable to me. If I'm in anything 24 inches and over I'm usually reaching for my 562/372. The little saws are great because you can run them all day and not get too worn out Unlike a big saw.

From my experience with both saw and a couple AT and Mtronic models, at this time the Stihl saws have been far more reliable. The 550 and 562 are constantly being updated and will likely receive an overhaul in the near feature. If you do deside on the 550 make sure it's the newest version with all the updates, if it's old stock don't even consider wasting your time.

20" bar is a bit much on any 59cc saw, but it will work, I prefer 18" and .325 chain.

This is all just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I vote for the Husqvarna 550XP. Also I find that the saw has better balance with an 18 inch bar.

I am sure the MS 261 is a good saw, but the Husqvarna will just plain out cut a Stihl, at least in my opinion and I have owned quite a few Stihl saws before I went with all Husqvarna.

Also if you need some small parts like filters etc, you can order them online. Try that will a Stihl and you will most likely hit a brick wall.

I'm a Stihl guy and don't know the Huskies all that well. Having said that, I'm 100% happy with my MS-261 C-M. It came with a 20" bar and it's a damn good hardworking saw. It balances very well with the 20" bar too.

Do you have both a Stihl and a Husky dealer close-by? I see your are in SLC. So that pretty much answers that question.

Arnt the more later auto tunes and m-tronics more reliable? I'd take the 261 even though I am husky lover. I am under the impression that the 545 is an over restricted detuned 50cc.
The 545 and 550xp have the same P&C, or did in the past. Have seen photos of the cylinders side by side. They are actually pretty close, but the 550 has a little more zip!

Just here for info. Was looking into either a 550 or 261 last fall, got a great deal on a 562 that I love but I'm still thinking about one of those two. On paper the 261 has more hp for the same weight but I really like the feel of the 550.

Dolmar had those hp numbers a decade ago in a 50cc saw so it must be a better saw...

Been running a 550xp or 5 years or so in my tree service. I have to say it's been one of the most reliable saws I've ever had. That is once you find out how to start it hot... save yourself some time and put it on fast idle!!!

I have never ran a 261, but a good friend has a 260 pro. My 2013 545 walks all over it, BAD. It is just muff modded. I have an 18" and a 20" bar for it. It pulls both fine in oak, but it mostly wears the 18". I'm sure it would be just fine wearing a 20" in pine.

I have never ran a 261, but a good friend has a 260 pro. My 2013 545 walks all over it, BAD. It is just muff modded. I have an 18" and a 20" bar for it. It pulls both fine in oak, but it mostly wears the 18". I'm sure it would be just fine wearing a 20" in pine.
The 261 is a completely different saw than the old 260. More grunt, but it gained a little bulk also.

I actually like the ms261, but like the feel of the Huskys mo better.

Back