the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trees die – that’s a fact of life. But is the death of an entire iconic landscape of Eucalyptus in the Cooma-Monaro region of New South Wales natural?

For over a decade, large stands of Eucalyptus viminalis, commonly known as Ribbon Gum or Manna Gum, have been gradually declining in health, and now stand like skeletons in huge tree graveyards.

http://theconversation.com/death-of-a-landscape-why-have-thousands-of-trees-dropped-dead-in-new-south-wales-48657?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The+Weekend+Conversation+-+3648&utm_content=The+Weekend+Conversation+-+3648+CID_097880b8b6e0ecfbf3e4d0de28e95d1a&utm_source=campaign_monitor&utm_term=Death of a landscape why have thousands of trees dropped dead in New South Wales

Tussock Grass is taking over a bit further north. 1000's of hectares of the stuff....its disgusting.

Had a look around, not a steal but bugger it, will grab it and see how it goes.
I'd be lost without my ms170 at home I've cut a heap of small firewood with it over the years and build a veranda around my hole house /fencing /chook pens you name it..That little chain I can cut/rip neat as on the line way quick! stuff the hand saw and circular saw! haha...

The old Thumpers sound so cool!.. Makes me want to go for a ride watching your vids but I've got electrical problems at the moment (bugger) with my old beast 1980 DT175...
Rebuild the bottom end new top end wiseco piston /ported Staintune muffler off a Ducati lol, gets up and goes for a bush pig with no suspension or brakes! the old heart has done over time beating a few times wondering if she will pull up before I go through a barbed wire fence! haha....
11.jpg 22.jpg

Chippy, have you noticed the Red Gum die back just west of Bairnsdale?....Started about twenty years ago, we've had much the same thing up here, though its the Yellow box that's effected.

I havent noticed them dying but will take a look later this week.

I have noticed all those pines around gumbia park dying off though.

Chippy, have you noticed the Red Gum die back just west of Bairnsdale?....Started about twenty years ago, we've had much the same thing up here, though its the Yellow box that's effected.

its been researched here

Decline of Eucalyptus tereticornis Near Bairnsdale, Victoria: Insect Herbivory and Nitrogen Fractions in Sap and Foliage

http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/BT9950039.htm

its been researched here

Decline of Eucalyptus tereticornis Near Bairnsdale, Victoria: Insect Herbivory and Nitrogen Fractions in Sap and Foliage

Cheers!....I see that article was published twenty years ago, around the same time it became obvious there was a problem.
Any info as to what's causing the Yellow box die back in the Goulburn Valley Vic?

its been researched here

http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/BT9950039.htm

Thanks for that article......very interesting.

I haven't noticed a problem my way and I'm about 60km west of Bairnsdale.....Creeker is a little north west of me and there's a decent amount of Redgum between us....an entire Redgum forest in one spot, not sure if there is problems there or not.

The main die back was Bairnsdale way and very apparent along the Highway, seems to be coming good now.
Not seen north of Stratford at that time thankfully.
Those pines could have had a fire thru' them chippy, have a vague idea although I avoid any travel towards Melb. like the plague and not up to date with events that way.

The old Thumpers sound so cool!.. Makes me want to go for a ride watching your vids but I've got electrical problems at the moment (bugger) with my old beast 1980 DT175...
Rebuild the bottom end new top end wiseco piston /ported Staintune muffler off a Ducati lol, gets up and goes for a bush pig with no suspension or brakes! the old heart has done over time beating a few times wondering if she will pull up before I go through a barbed wire fence! haha....
View attachment 454339 View attachment 454340

nothing better than going out for a blat, i get to **** me daks when a 6 foot grey bounces across the trail when im at WOT .... only live once i guess may as well hit the grave sideways haha

Thanks for that article......very interesting.

I haven't noticed a problem my way and I'm about 60km west of Bairnsdale.....Creeker is a little north west of me and there's a decent amount of Redgum between us....an entire Redgum forest in one spot, not sure if there is problems there or not.

Note that the affected species Euc Tereticornis (Forest Red gum) it has a limited occurrence in Gippsland around the lower Mitchell and Tambo rivers.

Note that the affected species Euc Tereticornis (Forest Red gum) it has a limited occurrence in Gippsland around the lower Mitchell and Tambo rivers.

By limited occurance I think they may mean within 20 or 30km or so.......Creeker, does that sound right to you?

A lot of the lanes around me the predominant species is often forest Redgum, especially north and north west of Stratty, heading out your way, although most of the Redgum I find in the forests is mostly just stumps, cut long ago. Also have a Redgum forest into Briag, which I'm guessing would be forest Redgum.

I think it's quite well spread scallywag, no expert but tereticornis (forest redgum) abounds in large areas round here, if i understand your post
correctly. :)

Elsewhere also - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_tereticornis

Edit re chippys Q - In excess of 100km range, Gippsland / East Gipp I'd have a guess at, ie close to Latrobe Valley and then to the east of B'dale.

I think it's quite well spread scallywag, no expert but tereticornis (forest redgum) abounds in large areas round here, if i understand your post
correctly. :)

Elsewhere also - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_tereticornis

Edit re chippys Q - In excess of 100km range, Gippsland / East Gipp I'd have a guess at, ie close to Latrobe Valley and then to the east of B'dale.

No die back going on around here that I've seen.. But just out of curiosity have any you guys ever seen the killing of hole forests by Bellbirds? a year or so ago we were logging over the border and had to go past a scrub gully /forests (locked up) with the biggest Blue gum I have ever seen 5/6 foot through and all break your neck looking up tall in their prime, was a monster way over the other side of the scrub gully it would have been 10-15 foot through even the old man said that's one of the biggest blue gum's he has ever seen..

Anyways the old man would be going off his nut every time we drove past saying look what the bellbirds are doing! they're killing the trees! many were not that long dead and most on their way but yeah was strange to see the trees had no leaves or very little left the old man was saying the Bellbird's grow harvest something on the leaf of the tree and well yeah until there are no more leaves left and the tree dies...

No die back going on around here that I've seen.. But just out of curiosity have any you guys ever seen the killing of hole forests by Bellbirds? a year or so ago we were logging over the border and had to go past a scrub gully /forests (locked up) with the biggest Blue gum I have ever seen 5/6 foot through and all break your neck looking up tall in their prime, was a monster way over the other side of the scrub gully it would have been 10-15 foot through even the old man said that's one of the biggest blue gum's he has ever seen..

Anyways the old man would be going off his nut every time we drove past saying look what the bellbirds are doing! they're killing the trees! many were not that long dead and most on their way but yeah was strange to see the trees had no leaves or very little left the old man was saying the Bellbird's grow harvest something on the leaf of the tree and well yeah until there are no more leaves left and the tree dies...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Miner

Latest posts

Back