the all aussie dribble thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might try and remember to take some pics of living trees around it and see if that might help work it out, I just hope it burns well.

Any of you fella's know what species this tree is?

eOKHCtfh.jpg

Ul7iv8Qh.jpg

mOns8obh.jpg

85cdnMAh.jpg

Grey Box,,,, looks hard, heavy, simular to Yellow box, both will grow in same areas, wait till you see one with a spiral grain,,,, splitting by hand,, no. Been dead a while, grubs have had afield day in the sap.

Grey Box,,,, looks hard, heavy, simular to Yellow box, both will grow in same areas, wait till you see one with a spiral grain,,,, splitting by hand,, no. Been dead a while, grubs have had afield day in the sap.

Cheers mate, I think it might be red gum going by the pic I just posted, certainly looks a lot like it to me anyway.

I did a quick google search and found this pic of Red Gum - it looks a lot like it to me!

http://www.bookmywood.com.au/products-info

no worries, ill stick to what I said, pic 2 and 3 gives it away. We have red gum too, ive sawn it , is very hard for sure, but cuts a red tinge in the centre. No worries as they will all burn very well. If I may give a little hint to splitting box, go round it like an onion ring , not try and split straight across.

no worries, ill stick to what I said, pic 2 and 3 gives it away. We have red gum too, ive sawn it , is very hard for sure, but cuts a red tinge in the centre. No worries as they will all burn very well. If I may give a little hint to splitting box, go round it like an onion ring , not try and split straight across.

Cheers mate, I was only thinking just before how it seemed to split easier going around it as apposed to going straight through it. What part of pic 2 and 3 indicate it's stringy? We mostly burn stringy here and it's easy as to split, smoother grain structure compared to this stuff.

Cheers mate, I was only thinking just before how it seemed to split easier going around it as apposed to going straight through it. What part of pic 2 and 3 indicate it's stringy? We mostly burn stringy here and it's easy as to split, smoother grain structure compared to this stuff.
Grey box, it has a look of its own, also see the little gum vein out towards the edge, I saw grey Box into structural timbers. from a milling point of view, I hate firewood, its a waste of rescourse, we get more than enough firewood from what's left...Stringy's burn ok too, not as good as yellow or grey box.

Grey box, it has a look of its own, also see the little gum vein out towards the edge, I saw grey Box into structural timbers. from a milling point of view, I hate firewood, its a waste of rescourse, we get more than enough firewood from what's left...Stringy's burn ok too, not as good as yellow or grey box.

Thanks for that mate, Grey Box - should keep us nice and warm!!:dancing:Thanks again for the help mate, much appreciated.:bowdown:

Back