The most underated saw....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably the MS290-MS390 line of saws. They're certainly not my favorite, but we(and I'm including myself here) don't give them the credit they're due.

The MS441 belongs here as well. It's a great saw AND responds very well to mods, contrary to some old wives tales.

Another that comes to mind is the Husky 350. They can be made to run great!

Probably the MS290-MS390 line of saws. They're certainly not my favorite, but we(and I'm including myself here) don't give them the credit they're due.

The MS441 belongs here as well. It's a great saw AND responds very well to mods, contrary to some old wives tales.

Another that comes to mind is the Husky 350. They can be made to run great!

I agree with you on the Husky 350... I had one, tore it down, and found the transfers were tighter than a... nevermind.

So I opened them up, and cleaned it all up. Never got around to putting it back together, so I sent it to another member in trade for an old Pioneer top handle 89cc heavy beast.

I don't miss that Husky all that much... the NU-17 will be a bundle of fun... :)

I will get another one though, for a little firewood screamer that just... screams... :D

the 20 dollar used homeowner saw

I'm serious, the best deal out there, the "most underrated" going by supply and demand, and then what you can do with it, is consistently the twenty dollar used saw that harry homeowner let sit up and now barely runs or doesn't run, but just needs cleaning. Doesn't matter year, make or model when you can get a runner for the equivalent rough cost of the bar and chain.

I vote for the jred 920, I have three of them and all cost $200 or less and will cut with just about anything out there. JR

I think about any saw thats non pro is under rated on here.

Pro models that are most under rated are definetly the 441 and 362. The 441, well, Brad about summed it up already. The 362, I think is the most under rated saw on here. I would'nt doubt that 90% of the people who have ran one hav'ent ran one thats broken in well. They are right at the top of the most powerful 60cc saws. They have alot more power than a 361. It's a difference you can actually feel.

there was a very similar thread a while ago, the Husky 365 was regarded as one of the most underrated saws, always in the shadow of big brother 372xp... have to say the 365 gets my vote!

The 365 special is a great saw IMHO.

Most under rated on AS... I would say the 029 Super/ MS290 hands down. I would also say the 6401 is as well, in part due to the 7900.
Also, Stihl 031's are one of the finest firewood saws of all time in my opinion, and are much more saw than most people would imagine. Less than 50cc's and can pull a 20" b/c without a problem in the world.

I vote for the Poulan top handle saws, the 2.3/2300 in particular. They were sold by Poulan as several models, & also were rebadged for several other companies. A lot of folks forget that 'back in the day' they were the top-handle saw. Judging from the prices I'm now seeing on feePay & CL, maybe now they're not so underrated :msp_unsure:.

Stihl 064. At least around here. I don't think they got a fair shake. Guy's aroung here were using the 056 mag 2, and comparing the two. Some old school thought was the more plastic lighter saw was i:msp_thumbup:nferior. I don't think so.

Well EVERYBODY knows they are underpowered and overweight!
The filtration sux.....................(not)
The anti-vibe mounts are weak..................(not)
They struggle to pull anything over a 20" b/c...................(really not)

But here is my vote!!!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8YsnjuTiHE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8YsnjuTiHE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

I agree with OhioGregg,we used to sell the 3400-4000 Poulan series saws,and those saws were really reliable and had good power too. They weren't a popular seller for us,but I knew when we sold one I (As a mechanic) would never see it again.
The amazing thing is that they had a plain aluminum bore and a plated piston,but they seemed to run forever.:msp_thumbup:

YouTube - ‪Pro Mac 610 Test Run in Blue Spruce, Pt. 1‬&rlm;

44 seconds to cut thru a 16" blue spruce, I call it over rated, the other vid of one cutting thru a 25" oak is just as bad with a totally different operator. I don't think the 031 is under rated at all, Stihl sold tens of thousands of them and the 032's. Just like the 610 for their day a good saw, against todays saws they are just to slow and heavy. My 346 or 261 will cut a lot more wood at the end of the day than either one with less operator fatigue. I totally agree with Brad that the 029's-390's don't get the respect they should on here, there are more of them out there cutting firewood every day than all the pro saws combined, I guess you need to lump the 455/460 huskies in there as well. Another little saw that doesn't get any respect is the little 180 Stihl, I've had one about 8-9 years, we use it on anything were there is a high risk of damaging a saw, use it to clean out fence rows, anything that will damage a saw, I mean we abuse the pizz out of it. It was the first modding experiment, it runs about 14,300-14,500 it just sounds like bee buzzing even with a muffler mod. It just keeps on taking it, when she blows it owes me nothing, gave about 189.00 for it. It is a trimmer's dream, set up like it is the 200t we have really doesn't have any advantage except the top handle.

Back