The most underated saw....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the 50/51/55 huskys are seriously underrated. I've been trying to kill a 55 for a couple months now, running it hard with an 18" 3/8 setup and it just keeps chugging along. I'm gonna hate to see that one go. :)

Well EVERYBODY knows they are underpowered and overweight!
The filtration sux.....................(not)
The anti-vibe mounts are weak..................(not)
They struggle to pull anything over a 20" b/c...................(really not)

But here is my vote!!!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8YsnjuTiHE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8YsnjuTiHE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

And ALLLLL just your opinion....

Guess what dumb ass!!!

This whole thread is about just that.....OPINION!!!
I am glad to know that you value my opinion enough to follow me around to TRY to discredit it though.

Mike

Who said i was trying to discredit it?....again with the personal attacks....i didnt call you any names....i dont believe it is needed here.....the name calling is reallly getting old. I didnt follow you...you just happen to post in the same thread.

Who said i was trying to discredit it?....again with the personal attacks....i didnt call you any names....i dont believe it is needed here.....the name calling is reallly getting old. I didnt follow you...you just happen to post in the same thread.

Let me try and share a little insight with you.
One of, if not my personal favorite saws is my Snellerized MS361. RMS61Moparman and I raced my ms361 against his bonestock 6401 at Outdoorlivin'24/7's GTG last year. (trust me, his saw is stock, the man and I are very good friends) I can tell you I was smug about the race and had no trouble telling him how I was going to hand him his ass. He smiled politely. Anyhow when the race was over there were a lot of us standing there scratching our heads. Fast forward to the fall of last year. I had the boys over for some pulled pork, beer and saws. This day (smaller wood) my saw came out on top. Barely, and I mean barely. We had a bet that I asked him not to honor because the margin of victory was in the tenths of a second area. Well a tie was good enough for me that day. However, as time went on it wasn't, so the saw was gone back into. It's still not a race saw but it's far from a simple woods port. We're waiting for the tie breaker.

Anyhow, this just prooved Mike's original point about how underated the saw is.

Well EVERYBODY knows they are underpowered and overweight!
The filtration sux.....................(not)
The anti-vibe mounts are weak..................(not)
They struggle to pull anything over a 20" b/c...................(really not)

But here is my vote!!!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8YsnjuTiHE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h8YsnjuTiHE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Brand new saw if I remember right. It will just get stronger. :rock:

Oh yeah... My Poulan Pro 330 is a beast. Everyone just thinks is a wildthing or something........till they run it. :laugh:

Crap! I just noticed that I'm still dressed up as Stihl Sawing. lol

It was a prank we pulled while he was on vacation. Sure has been confusing. :D

I'd going back to Mastermind asap.

All this bickering and noise,I thought someone dropped their lollipop in the mud,haha...
I see it's about saw racing and pride,serious stuff! Sounds like you two need another race again someday,I'd like to see that. Smoke ,noise, animosity,all the makin's of a good event! :blob2:

Let me try and share a little insight with you.
One of, if not my personal favorite saws is my Snellerized MS361. RMS61Moparman and I raced my ms361 against his bonestock 6401 at Outdoorlivin'24/7's GTG last year. (trust me, his saw is stock, the man and I are very good friends) I can tell you I was smug about the race and had no trouble telling him how I was going to hand him his ass. He smiled politely. Anyhow when the race was over there were a lot of us standing there scratching our heads. Fast forward to the fall of last year. I had the boys over for some pulled pork, beer and saws. This day (smaller wood) my saw came out on top. Barely, and I mean barely. We had a bet that I asked him not to honor because the margin of victory was in the tenths of a second area. Well a tie was good enough for me that day. However, as time went on it wasn't, so the saw was gone back into. It's still not a race saw but it's far from a simple woods port. We're waiting for the tie breaker.

Anyhow, this just prooved Mike's original point about how underated the saw is.

Thats a good post...no argue. I never said they where not underrated but some people overrate them to something that they are not. No saw is perfect...i agree on that. But to say that what i know happens to them is false is completly absurd. I work with them everyday.....and some people just cut firewood and all of the sudden they know everything about them....AND more than me....which is also dense. Im not saying they are a bad saw, which they are a pretty good saw, but i will never run more than a 20" bar and 8 pin on mine...and if ported maybe a 24" with a 7 pin. I have 385's for 24" that pull it with power to spare. This is real world findings....not sitting behind a keyboard all day. Funny thing is everyone else that i have talked to around here that has ran them said the same thing. And most of the guys got rid of them and went back to husky. So to say that i am the only one having the trouble is also dense minded. It happens...things break if you use them and they dont sit....get used to it.

that would have to be the lowly MS170 ... cheapest saw in Stihl's lineup ($159 on sale)
believe it or not, MS170 is one tough little saw. very light weight
makes an excellent trail maintenance saw.

if you keep the chain sharp, it does an excellent job of trimming.
don't get me wrong, MS170 is not going tackle 2ft diameter wood with any kind of speed. but nibble at it and MS170 will surprise you with the amount of work it can do.

for general purpose trim work, MS170 is tough as nails.
have had several MS170's, that's the saw I'd loan out.

Asplundt uses MS170 as their production climbing saw in this area...
cheap, light and reliable. MS170 is very underrated...

Last edited:
I stated before that the jred 920 was the most under rated, but I got to thinking about the original question. I mean no offense to the OP, it is without doubt a scintillating question, but lacks definition. I mean under rated for what, felling huge pnw trees, homeowner stuff, firewood cutting, trimming, in other words without criteria it is difficult to make an informed post. Brad said that the 361 was the most under rated, I disagree. A couple of years ago it was credited with the ability to cure cancer, doesn't sound like under status to me. Now I have had the opportunity to run a couple of the 361's and they are one hell of a good saw. I used to think that the 6401 was the most under rated, and I have one. It is a great saw, I'd take it over a 361, but not by much, and there has been a ton written about them in the last couple of year, some by me. I have a little Poulan, 4218 I think, to lazy to go out to the shop and see for sure, but that little thing that I bought on ebay refurbed for 70 bucks has to be one of the handiest little saws that you never hear about, in my opinion defiantly under rated. Thanks to the OP for posting this it's fun even if the criteria is a bit vague. JR

P41 pioneer My dad had one it was an amazing saw just howled,

If there were still sellin new ones id go out and buy 2 One for me and one for you

Does AS really equal BS these days?? Maybe that's why I don't post much anymore. I hear lots a guys down the Dolmar 7900 and lots of guys praise them, but when it comes down to it most don't really understand engineering and quality in any way shape or form IMHO, Is the 7900 a POS like 440 says it is? no it's a great saw better than the 440,460 or a 385, IMHO, and stronger as well and that isn't my opinion, this has been proven time and time again, and I really don't care what some hick hack logger says. The 7900 is only a 20" saw??? my big fat lazy a$$ it is, they will pull a 32" bar all day long.

I will also say most who says the 7900 is the best saw ever made probably hasn't even dropped a tree bigger than 20", in fact I know it's true. I agree with 440 on many points. Most on this site are Sunday morning wannabee loggers at best myself included, with little or no real world logging experience, this to me is also fact. Anyone that truly believes the 361 or any 60cc saw is the king of saws doesn't and hasn't really run any saw for any extended period of time. Let me be honest I think the 7900 is the most underrated saw, I think it's better than any Stihl or Husky of slimier displacement, but the fact is the Husky's and Stihl's have put more wood on the ground than any Dolmar model could dream of, but that's not to say they couldn't. For all the guys the rely on specs you're, with a few exception, the worst of the worst, saws like the 359, 353, 350 and so on are as good or better than the so called pro saw in the same cc class period.

Does AS really equal BS these days?? Maybe that's why I don't post much anymore. I hear lots a guys down the Dolmar 7900 and lots of guys praise them, but when it comes down to it most don't really understand engineering and quality in any way shape or form IMHO, Is the 7900 a POS like 440 says it is? no it's a great saw better than the 440,460 or a 385, IMHO, and stronger as well and that isn't my opinion, this has been proven time and time again, and I really don't care what some hick hack logger says. The 7900 is only a 20" saw??? my big fat lazy a$$ it is, they will pull a 32" bar all day long.

I will also say most who says the 7900 is the best saw ever made probably hasn't even dropped a tree bigger than 20", in fact I know it's true. I agree with 440 on many points. Most on this site are Sunday morning wannabee loggers at best myself included, with little or no real world logging experience, this to me is also fact. Anyone that truly believes the 361 or any 60cc saw is the king of saws doesn't and hasn't really run any saw for any extended period of time. Let me be honest I think the 7900 is the most underrated saw, I think it's better than any Stihl or Husky of slimier displacement, but the fact is the Husky's and Stihl's have put more wood on the ground than any Dolmar model could dream of, but that's not to say they couldn't. For all the guys the rely on specs you're, with a few exception, the worst of the worst, saws like the 359, 353, 350 and so on are as good or better than the so called pro saw in the same cc class period.

Does AS really equal BS these days? Good chance of that! Did 440 call the 7900 a POS? Don't remember that, and I'm not about to go back through threads to find out, but don't forget, he states that he owns one. He is entitled to his opinion, even if he is way off. You state that it's proven that the 7900 is better than 440,460 and the 385 and stronger! Yeah? When? Will a 440, 460 and the 385 oil a bar over 32" for starters?

I like my Husky's and reckon they get more of a floggin from the Stihl crowd than what we give in return. Who gives two hoots for crying out ####ing loud. Dolmar, Stihl and Husky all get a floggin from the opposition but for some reason there some real sook's in the Dolmar camp. If your that confident about your choice in saws, why the tears?

Get over it!

Latest posts

Back