The perfect firewood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
Reaction score
Being in the business of cutting and selling firewood for years I think have a pretty good idea what Stihl needs to do to come up with the perfect firewood saw.

First of all they need to design it around the original 361 chassis. The weight of this saw/width of chassis/balance is about ideal, even for reaching and overhead sawing.
It needs to weigh in no more than 12lbs give a couple ounces either way. Come set up with a 3/8 18" set up with a 8 pin rim sprocket.
It needs to have the air filteration of the 261. The pleated automotive filter gives much more surface area, twist on/twist off is very easy to service.
Captive bar nuts are a nice feature, can't lose them in the woods.
Stainless muffler, adjustable h/o oiler, spring suspension, some type of replaceable gel grip on the handle, like the material sims uses on rifle butt pads, bow vibration dampeners.
Needs to be M-tronic or even better their intro into true fuel injection on a chainsaw.
The saw in stock form needs to produce 5hp as minimum, 5.25 would be even better.
Use a Mahle cylinder, be mfg in Virginia Beach, a USA made product.

This isn't the perfect felling saw, but a firewooder, that would be as good as fit in a do-it your self kind or guy to the professional firewood cutter,

The 562 looks like it is closer to this than the 362, but the 362 was on the market in fall of 09, initial design was prolly in 06/07. Stihl needs to update the 362, it can't be close to the seller the 361 was, there have to be many more like me that just can't feel the love for the 362, but would jump all over a slimmer,sleeker version with more power. All they really need to do is a heart transplant on the 361, give it at least a half a horsepower more, a stainless muffler and improved filteration.

Ole Tommy , STD, you reading this, those Stihl boys need to be listening, no big leap in technology is needed, Husky is doing something right, raising the hp to weight ratio. Stihl needs to do the same.
We all know it is well within those German engineers capabilities.

Post what your ideal firewood saw would be.

My good old 51 husky has served me well, but I love the 044, and 372 for firewood, maybe the most.

I get mine and my sisters firewood done with my bored 362xp, but after running my Uncles ms441................I gotta say wow. Give me the weight of my 026 with the power of that 441 and they wouldn't be able to keep enough on the shelves.

First of all they need to design it around the original 361 chassis.It needs to weigh in no more than 12lbs give a couple ounces either way. Come set up with a 3/8 18" set up with a 8 pin rim sprocket.It needs to have the air filteration of the 261. Captive bar nuts are a nice feature, can't lose them in the woods.
Stainless muffler, adjustable h/o oiler, spring suspension, some type of replaceable gel grip on the handle, like the material sims uses on rifle butt pads, bow vibration dampeners.
Needs to be M-tronic or even better their intro into true fuel injection on a chainsaw.
The saw in stock form needs to produce 5hp as minimum, 5.25 would be even better.

I'm sold, when are they coming out?:eek:uttahere2::eek:uttahere2::eek:uttahere2:

Normzilla, you are so correct, if only you could get that hp in a 361 chassis. It's the very reason I don't have a 362, my 044 does everything it will do and then some. It has to be the epa keeping the 60 cc saws from breaking the 5hp mark.

I-spring's good deal right you are, and sweet that would be:clap: Matt I know the 441 is great, but man I love my 044. And Sachs dolmar hell ya!:clap:

I use all the saws in my sig for firewood because that is all that I cut. But we also cut 60" logs into firewood, so no one saw can be the perfect firewood saw for me, but If I had to only have one.. it would hands down be the 066:rock:

Deets, we had big Euacalyptus come down in the storms last winter. At the road dept we hauled the logs back nobody would touch it. I grabbed four cords thanks to the 660. The logs were 4-5 foot had to quarter them. Firewood can get big, and I hate to waste any:redface:

You just described a $1000 50cc saw making 70cc power. I can't afford that! But hey, in a perfect world we'd all have 2 :hmm3grin2orange:

we built a grapple for our skidloader so no matter how big they are we cut them up so the skidloader can handle them and load them on the semi.

Probably be accused of cheerleading, but my Dolmar 6400 is my favorite firewood getter. It has not let me down yet and even stood up to some milling before I knew any better. It can handle most jobs in the woods I have used it for, not my first choice for felling trees but ideal for firewood. Great saw for the all around woodcutter. I loved my 044 also, especially after I ported it. Sold it to help fund my 9010 for the sawmill. I will have another 044 by spring, hopefully another heated handle one.

Being in the business of cutting and selling firewood for years I think have a pretty good idea what Stihl needs to do to come up with the perfect firewood saw.

First of all they need to design it around the original 361 chassis. The weight of this saw/width of chassis/balance is about ideal, even for reaching and overhead sawing.
It needs to weigh in no more than 12lbs give a couple ounces either way. Come set up with a 3/8 18" set up with a 8 pin rim sprocket.
It needs to have the air filteration of the 261. The pleated automotive filter gives much more surface area, twist on/twist off is very easy to service.
Captive bar nuts are a nice feature, can't lose them in the woods.
Use a Mahle cylinder, be mfg in Virginia Beach, a USA made product.

This isn't the perfect felling saw, but a firewooder, that would be as good as fit in a do-it your self kind or guy to the professional firewood cutter,

The 562 looks like it is closer to this than the 362, but the 362 was on the market in fall of 09, initial design was prolly in 06/07. Stihl needs to update the 362, it can't be close to the seller the 361 was, there have to be many more like me that just can't feel the love for the 362, but would jump all over a slimmer,sleeker version with more power. All they really need to do is a heart transplant on the 361, give it at least a half a horsepower more, a stainless muffler and improved filteration.

Ole Tommy , STD, you reading this, those Stihl boys need to be listening, no big leap in technology is needed, Husky is doing something right, raising the hp to weight ratio. Stihl needs to do the same.
We all know it is well within those German engineers capabilities.

Post what your ideal firewood saw would be.

Sounds like the original 036 was not too far off the spec. The 044 was right on, just a tad few ounces more... I also have to say that the 066 makes a fine firewood saw.

ultra short stroke high compression dual opposed cylinders with cross flow scavenging, boron alloy pistons and conrods, magnetic/ceramic bearings, nitrogen filled airbag AV, dual rail titanium bar with ultra narrow kerf twin chains, one right cutters, one left cutters, micro laser high speed solenoid adjusted bar mount, torque demand fuel and oil injection, kevlar covers, centrifugal air pre filter, bog standard USB connection (for like pre tweaking for tree species and any other stuff you would like...)...and a tool-less pop off noodling panel. Ha!

In the meantime I'll settle for any 30-40 year old hunksastuff I can manage to get running for like poquito dineros...

Latest posts

Back