Thinking of buying new Stihl 280

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The carb is constantly being tuned by the computer as the saw runs. It will retune itself after the muffler is opened up. After about 30 tanks of gas my 280 has become a screamer in its own right.

Speaking of a different bar, I asked one dealer if I could get the saw with a 3/8s pitch bar and chain combo and he said it came from the factory with a .325 bar and chain and I would need to buy another bar and chain if I wanted different. Stihl's site states that either bar/chain combo can be used but I was a little put off as he made it sound like the saws are sold as is not as wanted....

.325 is right for a 50 cc class saw. 3/8 takes more power to run, and is not appropriate for a 50 cc class saw. IMO

Buy the little-used 361.......many of them around.. Great saw!

It should read 160+ PSI. Anything over 150 is decent. Below that, I'd start shaving down my offer on it. Saw is worth something even at 80 PSI. Top ends are not hard to find for those.

Well the old 036 was in too rough of shape for the asking price so it looks like I am now on a mission for the 280 or better. It would have been a great saw to tinker on and could be resurrected with a few new parts and some elbo grease but I need to cut wood, not rebuild saws....at this time anyway:)

Private Message.

Find his name (search), click on it, and follow directions to send him a private message. Think of it as sending an email...

Thanks for the assist K-9 Handler. I sent the message and will see what happens. I have a nice dealer close to my home here in NH so I will be chatting with them Friday or Saturday.

Around here used chainsaws are rarely sold and all saws are run hard. They are either alive or really dead and not worth rebuilding.

There were a couple listed on craigslist from other parts of the state but the few that were listed looked to me to be priced awfully high for a used saw.

I must admit that I would be very reluctant to buy a saw without a warranty. I have had two new saws that had problems, both of which would have been expensive fixes (one actually required replacement of the saw by the dealer) without the warranty.

I agree that it is a risky way to get a saw. I looked over a 036 today and at first glance all looked ok. Then I started noticing things that made me think that the saw was either dropped hard or something heavy was set on top of it. Needless to say I do not want to fix saws, I want to cut wood.:greenchainsaw:

I suggest just getting a nice new 270, 2 spare chains, and start cutting. I've got a 280 and like it. I wanted decomp(for cold weather and old shoulders), but most people don't even want it. A serious firewood cutter friend has used his 270 for a couple of years and really likes it. it's hard to believe how smooth the 270/280 saws are.

I suggest just getting a nice new 270, 2 spare chains, and start cutting. I've got a 280 and like it. I wanted decomp(for cold weather and old shoulders), but most people don't even want it. A serious firewood cutter friend has used his 270 for a couple of years and really likes it. it's hard to believe how smooth the 270/280 saws are.
:computer: All STIHL are good saws, well except for that cute little MS 170.

Does anyone have any consideration for the MS 260 Pro?? Is there a quality factor that should be considered over the 280? It is listed as a "Pro" saw and I figured it was worth looking into with you guys.:popcorn:

Does anyone have any consideration for the MS 260 Pro?? Is there a quality factor that should be considered over the 280? It is listed as a "Pro" saw and I figured it was worth looking into with you guys.:popcorn:

>LINK<

(Just put 280 in place of 270) :cheers:

Latest posts

Back