Ticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up first tick in april, before he bit me. Sprayed three sets of clothes with permethrin and no ticks since. The GF and the cat have had a few and they don't even hit the woods and brush all day like me.

About time to retreat the clothes, 7 weeks.

P.S. use permethrin on your clothes not your body. If you want to spray yourself try picaridin, an alternative to DEET that won't melt your plastic fishing tackle like DEET

I picked up first tick in april, before he bit me. Sprayed three sets of clothes with permethrin and no ticks since. The GF and the cat have had a few and they don't even hit the woods and brush all day like me.

About time to retreat the clothes, 7 weeks.

P.S. use permethrin on your clothes not your body. If you want to spray yourself try picaridin, an alternative to DEET that won't melt your plastic fishing tackle like DEET
Does the Permethrin really work on clothes even after a few washings

Not in a washing machine. The stuff is removed quickly that way. You hand wash. You develop a strategy in the pieces you maintain the chemical on for it to be effective and it is when you do it right. It is not easy to do it correctly.

How well can ticks deal with cold water ? They will deal with this every day . Most insects get very inactive when in a cold place . I no longer attract insects .

From Sawyer website:

• This insect-killing repellent for your clothing is effective against ticks, chiggers, mites and mosquitoes for up to six weeks.
  • This nonaerosol pump bottle contains enough spray to coat full outfits
  • Although we consider a full outfit to be one shirt, trousers and socks; we recommend you still pack underwear.
  • One treatment will last up to six washings or six weeks before clothing has to be treated again
  • If you treat your tent, you can expect full potency for up to 40 days of direct sunlight. This is a great way to give your entire campsite a barrier of protection
  • Use it while hunting for an odorless way to protect yourself from common bugs
  • Effective against ticks that carry Lyme disease and other fairly common diseases like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
  • Repellent should be applied outdoors and before clothing is worn; after it’s treated, hang clothing and let dry two hours (four hours in humid conditions)
  • Avoid contact with skin and eyes during application phase
  • Active Ingredient: Permethrin (0.5%)
Using permethrin concentrate

Do you use full chisel or semi-chisel on ticks?
A small hammer or a hot stove. If the fire's out toss them onto the stove top and tap them with a 1/2 lb ball peen.

Permethrin isn't readily available in Canada. I got some pyrethrin -piperonyl butoxide spray and did my boot tops and jeans cuffs. The ticks are thinning out now, but it seems to work. I got a lot more ticks a few days later after changing my jeans and boots and not spraying them.

The ticks and raccoons showed up in this country about 1970. My sister and I spent all summer playing in the grass on the farm in the 1940s and 1950s and we didn't know what a tick was.

A small hammer or a hot stove. If the fire's out toss them onto the stove top and tap them with a 1/2 lb ball peen.

Permethrin isn't readily available in Canada. I got some pyrethrin -piperonyl butoxide spray and did my boot tops and jeans cuffs. The ticks are thinning out now, but it seems to work. I got a lot more ticks a few days later after changing my jeans and boots and not spraying them.

The ticks and raccoons showed up in this country about 1970. My sister and I spent all summer playing in the grass on the farm in the 1940s and 1950s and we didn't know what a tick was.

Same here. I think the "city folk" brought up the ticks on their dogs and horses.

Is the permethrin banned/regulated? If you have a Tractor Supply or Agway type farm store you can buy the permethrin concentrate and make your own clothes spray/dip. make sure it is just permethrin . See the youtube link I posted above

Same here. I think the "city folk" brought up the ticks on their dogs and horses.

Is the permethrin banned/regulated? If you have a Tractor Supply or Agway type farm store you can buy the permethrin concentrate and make your own clothes spray/dip. make sure it is just permethrin . See the youtube link I posted above
Be careful with that. I think there are different chemicals in the concentrate .

From Sawyer website:

• This insect-killing repellent for your clothing is effective against ticks, chiggers, mites and mosquitoes for up to six weeks.
  • This nonaerosol pump bottle contains enough spray to coat full outfits
  • Although we consider a full outfit to be one shirt, trousers and socks; we recommend you still pack underwear.
  • One treatment will last up to six washings or six weeks before clothing has to be treated again
  • If you treat your tent, you can expect full potency for up to 40 days of direct sunlight. This is a great way to give your entire campsite a barrier of protection
  • Use it while hunting for an odorless way to protect yourself from common bugs
  • Effective against ticks that carry Lyme disease and other fairly common diseases like Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
  • Repellent should be applied outdoors and before clothing is worn; after it’s treated, hang clothing and let dry two hours (four hours in humid conditions)
  • Avoid contact with skin and eyes during application phase
  • Active Ingredient: Permethrin (0.5%)
Using permethrin concentrate

Thank you for such great information!!

We use nexgard on the dogs still find tick but there dead when I do. Front line is junk in my opinion never worked for us.

Frontline DID work, but after several years it Completely quit working. The local vet said that was happening all over. He had some other stuff that DID WORK, but man was it expensive!

I mean like break the wallet expensive! We cannot afford it for 3 dogs and 2, now 1 cat. It was getting to be close to $100 every month! Just can't go there.

We are still looking for something that works AND works for our wallet.

Cliff

Only buy fronline for large dogs. It is the same formulation for dogs and cats, they just charge more for packaging (look at the ingredients first).

You get 3.0-mL for large dog dose. Open it and put it in a glass vial, use a 1.0-mL syringe without needle to measure 0.6-mL for your kitty(s). That is 6 months from 1 large dog dose for a cat. Most places 9 months a year is all you need due to winter. So 1 large dog packet takes a cat through 2 years. Once you open a dose from a packet make sure you store it carefully , I use air tight glass vials.
You can do the same for smaller dogs and adjust dosage

Be careful with that. I think there are different chemicals in the concentrate .
Yes you just want permethrin. Check the label, 36% available from farm supply is the most bang for the $$$. Myself and friends have had lyme, no fun. One doctor stated he used the farm supply permethrin years ago.
With the concentrate you can make a 0.5% dilution for spray bottles or have a dunk fest each spring and fall in a 5-gal bucket for your outside clothes. Recycle the dunk mix for spray bottles

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...-10-livestock-premise-spray-1-qt?cm_vc=-10005

The above will make 640 oz of 0.5% spray/dip for $20

Frontline DID work, but after several years it Completely quit working. The local vet said that was happening all over. He had some other stuff that DID WORK, but man was it expensive!

I mean like break the wallet expensive! We cannot afford it for 3 dogs and 2, now 1 cat. It was getting to be close to $100 every month! Just can't go there.

We are still looking for something that works AND works for our wallet.

Cliff
Vet on here uses a Peppermint, cedar oil mix, and something else. But have heard Peppermint by itself works. Put it on animals like Frontline.

Back