Upgrades

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Porsche 917!

Race cars have no title.

Porsche's Win in the 71 movie would have been it's first at LeMans.

The Porsche 917 won in the movie and in real life.

240 down the Straight.

Alabama was the only non-title state. Bill Of Sale to license a car.

Martini&Rossi put a 917 on the road in Alabama.

"Heart of Dixie" across the butt of the Porsche 917!!!

Now. The extra credit.........

If I may add.

The footage for the movie Le Mans that was released in 1971 was shot during and after the race in 1970. Though Porsche won the 1970 event, it was not the blue/orange John Weyer Racing Gulf Porsche. The race was actually won by a Porsche Salzburg entered 917 driven by Hans Hermann and Richard Atwood. The fastest car in '70 was the Porshe 917 Langheck (longtail). Clocked at over 240mph on the Mulsanne straight, its 4.9L flat twelve would not go the distance. The 4.5L engine in the #23 917 Kurzheck (shorttail) of Atwood/Hermann went 24 hours and gave Porsche its first victory in the worlds greatest motor race. Despite that, the car is only glimpsed in the movie.

I consider myself fortunate that my older brother took me to see the film Le Mans in 1971. I was 7 years old. I've been a fan of Porsche racing ever since.

Thanks For the 917 info.

We were working in a friends garage in the late 80s or early 90s and his backyard neighbor comes over and says to see what he had on his rollback.

917 #1. It was going to San Diego for measurements.

He always had the neatest cars to move.

If you watch closely you can see the reflection of a 1969 917 in a firemans helmet. The footage comes from the 1969 24 hours when Steve McQueen went there to shoot scouting footage for the film.

The "917" "crash" scene was a 917 in body only.
20(24?) seconds and $20,000. A real special effect.

917 and my favorite the 904. The Porsches I wanted. Maybe a 550 if I couldn't get a 904.....
Yeah. Right.

The closing credits in the film give thanks to David Piper for his sacrifice in making the film. It is because Piper lost his foot in that stunt

I went to school with a girl whose dad owned this 906:

[video=youtube;jCm6Kk7GcnA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCm6Kk7GcnA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Porsche906.avi - YouTube

Dam TZ;
I belonged to a small museum(around 200 members total) that had a 904. And the owner had "exercise" day each week.

Run the cars around the parking lot.

Would fire any of them on a tour if he felt like it.

He just loved cars.

Well guys, it's not a good day to be me or mtrees. I screwed up the topend on his new MS460, plain and simple. I caught a ring in the transfer port. The saw is fine, so a new topend will be ordered in the morning. I should have it Wednesday. As the saying goes, it's not a matter of if, but a matter of when a builder is going to have a job go bad on him. Unfortunately, today was my day. What bothers me most is that Mike is brand new to both this forum as well as to modded saws. I so hate for this to be his first taste. I called him right away and let him know what had happened. I'm posting it here to further let him know I'm on the up and up. Like I told him, he hasn't been around long enough to have built a trust relationship with myself of anyone on the forum. Fortunately, he's a gracious and understanding man, and even had the audacity to offer to help pay for it. Not a chance of that! Anyway Mike, I'll have your saw done later this week and I guarantee it to be strong and 100% reliable:clap:

Latest posts

Back