Walkerized Saw Maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMBetz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My Walkerized 372XP showed up today, and I am wondering what I need to know about maintenance that goes above and beyond stock saw maintenance. For example, I'm not seeing a spark arrestor screen on the dual exhaust outlets, but is there something inside the muffler I should be looking at after a few tanks of fuel? I know a lot of you guys have Powertuned or Walkerized saws, so I'd appreciate a little advice on how to keep my investment running at top form.

I've got a Walkerized 066. The basic difference in the muffler is no baffle and two 3/4" ports. I have never done anything special as far as maintenance that has been beyond a normal stock saw. I've even talked with them and they didnt mention anything special to do. Enjoy your walkerized saw, I love mine.

Mike:D :blob2:

Hi Christian, the best thing to do is get a digital tach to keep it at specs or slightly beyond. I have the Stihl DET303.
When the saw seems like it is not quite up to snuff, simply change the metering diaphram in the carb, but you will need to fall and buck 30,000 ft. before this becomes an issue.
When you clean the filtre, use brake line cleaner, you will be amazed at all the mud that emerges from a clean appearing filtre.
When you flip the bar, flip the sprocket as well, dress the bar with a palm sander occasionally or when ever the urge arises.
John

On the subject of filters, what is the deal with the nylon screen filters that come with Husky saws these days? I will be swapping it out for a floc filter as soon as I get a chance to fire the saw up, unless you think the "cool weather" filter does a good enough job. Any recommendations?

Speaking of filters

I don't know what material the filter is made of on my Jonsey 2065 but wow is it a good filter and the turbo air system is real good!!! I have cut 10 log trucks and last saturday had to clean the filter! My brother said my saw was slow and I noticed that it indeed was. Cleaned the filter with saw gas in the field and what a difference. I never thought about brake cleaner. I bet that works neat. Hark, I hear more log trucks ---- MUST SAW :D P.S. Jonsey is 1 year old and has 90 gallon of fuel under his chain now. Since he is getting high in hours I am now running a 40 to 1 mix and it is working good :cool:

John,

Does your saw have the can-type pleated filter, or the new style filter borrowed from the 365? Mine has the wire spring-held type, as seen on the 365, and the cowling is low-pro. Is this the way Husky is going?

Hi Christian, I have never had any cause to seperate the muffler on either the 372 or 357 saws, but at first glance they appear to a one piece unit with a folded seam. I havent ever seen the spring arrangement you have described. Where did you purchase your saw from, ie Canada or U.S.A?
John

John,

I'm not sure where you are coming from. I am looking at the air filter, not the muffler. Is the filter on your 372(s) a screw-on rubber at both ends pleated floc around the edge type filter, or what the husky literature calls a bayonette-type?

Christian

John, I think what Christian is referring to is "are your saws hi top airfilters...ie:screw on or the original low top..clip style filters"? I keep both in stock, and there are the flocked (felt) filters as well as the nylon filters available for both designs...

Oops, sorry bout that, I must have been having a relaps lol.
I have the silk, single top screw filtre. I ordered the flock HD filtre 6 months ago from Husky but havent seen it yet. According to the parts manual there a three different filtres available.
John

And opening this up to everybody, which has given the most successful results?

Hi Christian, I think the silk are better, cause you can see thru them. The flock, although thicker are harder to clean and less likely to be cleaned when they should, plus the flock deteriorates and sluffs off after awhile which defeats their purpose. Stihl filtres are silk on the HD filtres with a removeable flock band that is a better set up I think.
John

what would be a good PRICE to get a silk filter for a 372xp and WHERE could one order one on the internet from:D (like said: both local dealers suck!!!)

What about this type filter for your Husky. This is all I use and it works very well for me, ie: no crap in the carb. This is a poor picture, but you should be able to get the idea, Russ PS: John, are you using the silk filter for better filtration or flow?

Greffards Saw Shop

Hello Tundraotto,
Contact Dennis Greffard at Greffards saw shop. He's not local . he sells jonsered and husky saws and knows his stuff has everything in stock. plus with the canadian-usa exchange rate even with freight it will cost you less than on the internet
Greffard's saw shop
Clearwater B. C.
250-674-3562
[email protected]

ken [email protected]

Hi Russ, is that a stock filtre you posted. I think the silk works aright, but it must be cleaned with a solvent and compressed air. Its the only filtre I can get for my saw from Husky.I use brakeline cleaner in an aerosol can, it cleans it up like new.
John

Back