What is the fascination all about?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonizer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am trying to logically justify why we love saws so much. They are noisy, stinky, dangerous. I love them. I could not imagine being without less than three. I don't need one unless I go 4x4'ing or camping but when I am out there I feel naked without one. Do I need help? Maybe I need a psawchiatrist.

I find what is particularly compulsive is even after have a dozen + saws, I constantly see another saw and think "that saw would be perfect for this application." Even though I have 4 other saws that could do the same job ok. I am constantly trying to "fill in the spaces" between saw sizes.

Some saws carry a very nostalgic or even sentimental value too.

The simple explanation is just like you said: They are noisy, stinky, dangerous!

I wish I could get down to just three Simon! I don't know what it is other than another tool, and I love my tools

I find what is particularly compulsive is even after have a dozen + saws, I constantly see another saw and think "that saw would be perfect for this application." Even though I have 4 other saws that could do the same job ok. I am constantly trying to "fill in the spaces" between saw sizes.

Some saws carry a very nostalgic or even sentimental value too.

The simple explanation is just like you said: They are noisy, stinky, dangerous!
Hey, another Campbell River guy! Have you been to my shop?

Part of the saw fascination is that there simply is no other tool that even remotely can do what a gas chainsaw will do, and I need them in my work.

Now why I have 12, including 2 newish 120 cc saws recently leaves your question unanswered...

I could probably get by with 6 saws (220, 5100, 2 7900dres, 395, and one 120cc saw), but I guess I must not want to. I buy my saws new and then can't seem to ever talk myself into selling any.

Last edited:
Machines.....all men love em, specially if they are dirty, loud and dangerous!

In my case, I sometimes wonder if aquiring BIG loud and dangerous tools is somehow linked to my declining manhood (old age). :dizzy:

Machines.....all men love em, specially if they are dirty, loud and dangerous!

In my case, I sometimes wonder if aquiring BIG loud and dangerous tools is somehow linked to my declining manhood (old age). :dizzy:

I think for me lost youth may be involved as well with saws and motorcycles.

While my 7900 (or one of my big saws) is singing through the wood with a fresh square chain I temporarily feel young and strong and athletic....Same with twisting the throttle blasting around a tight corner on a streetbike, it's as though the power and control of the machine is my own.

I guess it's sort of pathetic maybe, but I guess you take fun where you can find it...

Last edited:
I spent a few months living in the woods with a 24" bow saw and a 3/4 axe as my only wood-cutting tools.
I've loved my Chain Saws ever since. There is no hand-held tool that compares to the Chain Saw in labor savings.

Maybe it is how easy they make wood cutting. Compared to chopping with a axe or cutting with any type of hand saw, a chainsaw is almost like magic. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
I have absolutely no need for one but have 24 of them. If it's mechanical and someone says it doesn't run, I'll fix it and add it to my collection. The challenge of a non running anything is all it takes, especially when the owner says "take it, it's junk". Sometimes they get angry when they come back later in the day and the saw is idling on the driveway!

Think about it guys, and gals, with a medium sized saw weighing just a few pounds you can control the destiny of a log weighing thousands of pounds while it stands on the stump. Few things in life can compare to this kind of experience. The sound of a well tuned two-stroke under load is hard to beat, and the dynamic sight of fresh chips being hurled into air is cause for a grin anytime!

My name is John, and I love chainsaws!

Simon, it's so simple...

Saws feed our primative urge for instant satisfaction. Few other tools within our ecomonic and legal grasp can do so much damage so quickly!

And as for CAD (and the associated repair/rebuild) -they are so damn simple (Shhh :taped:) we look like heros to those that haven't figured that out yet.

:givebeer:

Last edited:
I think for me lost youth may be involved as well with saws and motorcycles.

While my 7900 (or one of my big saws) is singing through the wood with a fresh square chain I temporarily feel young and strong and athletic....Same with twisting the throttle blasting around a tight corner on a streetbike, it's as though the power and control of the machine is my own.

I guess it's sort of pathetic maybe, but I guess you take fun where you can find it...
Cool, I used to race bikes. Went to the California Superbike School in 1985, met Wayne Rainey and watched him pass me at Laguna Seca in Monterey. He was a prince amongst pygmies.

Cool, I used to race bikes. Went to the California Superbike School in 1985, met Wayne Rainey and watched him pass me at Laguna Seca in Monterey. He was a prince amongst pygmies.

I watched Rainey race, but while at Laguna Seca in about that same period I met Kenny Roberts who was one of my heroes. He could make any bike look good. I feel he raised the bar on the sport for all those that followed.

Last edited:
WHY SAWS????

Way I see it, they got engines= you can tune them
they got paint = you can customize them
they got power = you can modify them

And you need tools to play with them

:cheers:

I really enjoy working on equipment, and cutting firewood. When I got my first saw it was a Poulan Pro 260, which I got for Christmas. Then I saw may Dads old Poulan 245A, and repaired it and was surprised with the difference in quality between the new and old Poulan. Then it happened, I thought if this old saw cuts this much better then what other saws are around that could out cut this one. Well 65 saws later I am still looking and have found certain model saws that I really enjoy and the other saws I keep just because I like the way they are designed. One of these days I will move up to working on bulldozers, but until then the only yellow pieces of equipment I use are my McCulloch SP125s.

...with a medium sized saw weighing just a few pounds you can control the destiny of a log weighing thousands of pounds while it stands on the stump. Few things in life can compare to this kind of experience.

If that were the appeal, wouldn't derailing Trains be the most fun?
I find the constructve aspects of tool use to be fundamental to the enjoyment.

One factor for me is that.....

Few things in nature are as substantial as a tree. The winds blow and they stand there challenging for more. The rains come and they flourish. Animals try to push them over, kids shoot guns into them woodpeckers peck them and they stand there arms outstretched and unfazed. And in an instant the purchase of a chainsaw transforms man into a modern day David, who, if the need or desire is great enough, holds within his hands the very existence of these fantastic creations. When slain they provide lumber to construct a home and firewood to heat it. In many instances they were here before you were born and left unmolested, they might well still be here when you are no longer even a memory in the minds of your ancostors, and it's your decision whether they live or die. Now THAT my friend is POWER!!!!
Mike

Latest posts

Back