What's your best ever "steal of a deal"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a Mossberg model 500 in 12 ga. off my neighbor for 40 bucks. Traded it to another neighbor for a 41 JD LA that had been sitting in his yard for 10 years. Tractor ran the next day. Tractor sat in my barn for 5 years. New tractor dealer in town is also a Stihl dealer. Traded the JD for a brand new 460.:biggrinbounce2:

I guess my second 1-72. It was an ebay deal, bought locally though so I picked it up. I think I paid around $75 for it. All original including the fuel line and it had a town & country muffler. I've replaced the fuel line and carb kitted it. The rings are a little tired, but it runs great and is in fairly clean condition. Along with my Mac 15, they are excellent stock examples untouched as they sit.

Not a SUPER deal, but I was on cloud 9 when I walked out with it.

NE346xp, just because it was the first production one to be presented at the AS + I got it at the "old" campaign price, only 40% more than a MS260"Pro" (also at campaign, as usual) - LOL:laugh::laugh:

The competition in the 50cc Pro saw class is pretty important here, probably more so than in the US, and Husky sure is the winner, despite the added cost!

Well if it had you walking on cloud 9, it was a super deal to you and thats all that matters, whatever the cost. :cheers:

I ain't sayin the new one ain't cool, but I'm sorta missin your old avatar Mark. Like the end of an era or something. :confused:

:agree2: Things sure are different without that old man! LOL

Bought a Mossberg model 500 in 12 ga. off my neighbor for 40 bucks. Traded it to another neighbor for a 41 JD LA that had been sitting in his yard for 10 years. Tractor ran the next day. Tractor sat in my barn for 5 years. New tractor dealer in town is also a Stihl dealer. Traded the JD for a brand new 460.:biggrinbounce2:

Bet you the local dealer would say he did OK also, but not as good as you. $40 is pretty good for a 460.

with up to at least 500 saws at one time there are many stories of cheap or free saws to tell.

My largest purchase was 250 saws for $3000. Dating from 1945 and up.

That was some serious work.

Many purchase made my heart beat a little faster but one made it almost come out of my chest.

I had meet a guy at a show I did with my vintage saws. Many will come up and tell stories of their old saws.

This fella said he had a couple homelite 2100's that he used for milling.
I told him I was interested if he wanted to part with them.

A few months passed and he called and said he had dug them out for me to veiw.

I hopped in my truck and burned rubber only stopping to grab a freind.

When we got there he took us into a room were he had laid them out.

There were 3 complete saws and about 6 dismanteld saws. Also several boxes of NOS parts and a stack of bars.

He also showed an 1130 and an sxl925.

As he was showing me the items a couple times he said, "and if we make a deal".

Not having a clue about what he might want I just came out and asked what he wanted.

He replied, I'd like to get $150 for all of it.:monkey:

I did just get a nifty dulmor ct the other day. traded my 038 magII straight up. :)
came with the 36" but the guy is looking for the 48" that goes with it. Runs sweet.

CIMG4564.jpg

CIMG4561.jpg

CIMG4559.jpg

Holy Crap!!!

with up to at least 500 saws at one time there are many stories of cheap or free saws to tell.

My largest purchase was 250 saws for $3000. Dating from 1945 and up.

That was some serious work.

Wow. That's $12 apiece for that lot. Bet it was some serious work to haul 250 saw though. It'd take some doing to sort the wheat from the chaff too. Certainly worth it though...:agree2:

Many purchase made my heart beat a little faster but one made it almost come out of my chest.

I had meet a guy at a show I did with my vintage saws. Many will come up and tell stories of their old saws.

This fella said he had a couple homelite 2100's that he used for milling.
I told him I was interested if he wanted to part with them.

A few months passed and he called and said he had dug them out for me to veiw.

I hopped in my truck and burned rubber only stopping to grab a freind.

When we got there he took us into a room were he had laid them out.

There were 3 complete saws and about 6 dismanteld saws. Also several boxes of NOS parts and a stack of bars.

He also showed an 1130 and an sxl925.

As he was showing me the items a couple times he said, "and if we make a deal".

Not having a clue about what he might want I just came out and asked what he wanted.

He replied, I'd like to get $150 for all of it.:monkey:

Tell ya what.....................................sell all that to me and I'll double your money. Three crisp Franklin's. You won't even have to ship it, as I'll come pick 'em up. Whataya say??? No??? Well you can't blame me for trying. That's the stuff dreams are made of...:givebeer:

Last edited:
Wow. That's $12 apiece for that lot. Bet it was some serious work to haul 250 saw though. It'd take some doing to sort the wheat from the chaff too. Certainly worth it though...:agree2:

My wife and I were near portland OR headed to a different barn full of saws when we found this one.

She offered to drive a 12' u haul with trailer and I had a 10' trailer behind our bus.
The u haul was a bit overloaded too.

It took about 10 hours to load the saws we brought back first trip.

My second trip JJ met me there and helped load what was left.

altsaw2018.jpg

altsaw2008.jpg

My wife and I were near portland OR headed to a different barn full of saws when we found this one.

She offered to drive a 12' u haul with trailer and I had a 10' trailer behind our bus.
The u haul was a bit overloaded too.

It took about 10 hours to load the saws we brought back first trip.

My second trip JJ met me there and helped load what was left.

altsaw2018.jpg

altsaw2008.jpg

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: Does that say enough? How many of those do you still have? How long ago was this?

I bought a snapper push mower, sears leaf blower and stihl 034S for $125. None of them running.

The blower was lean burnt toast. I think somebody gave me five bucks for it at a yard sale.

The snapper push mower had a broken plastic intake manifold. I fixed it with some copper tube and epoxy. Better than new! It cleaned up pretty nice. It was electric start with a battery. Something like a $700 mower new. I sold it for $150 which covered the battery and all the other stuff in the original lot.

The 034S had a little scoring on the exhaust side so I threw an aftermarket piston kit, threw out the base gasket and did a few other maintenance odds and ends.

It is my favorite saw in the lineup, the saw I always grab.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: Does that say enough? How many of those do you still have? How long ago was this?

that pic is dated 10-08. did get rid of a bunch this year to bryce. think he got about 150 or so.
not sure how many are left, a bunch I guess.

just sold one of my favorites today, echo 4400.
it was my favorite cause it came with that load and was totaly black with grease and dirt when found.
It looked like it should go straight to the garbage can but once cleaned it was the best running saw you could ask for. :)

"steal" of a deal

when i was a dealer for another company. we sold a jonsered 2094 with out the decompression button. he weighed about 140# i don't know who started it for him but i don't think he could.. him and his wife got divorced and the wife brought the saw back in a couple years later and traded it on a push mower.. i don't think there was 5 gallons of gas ran thru it.. it was spotless

it's not saws but, my neighbor just bought (today) the contents of a barn he got a cat D6 a tow truck an old power wagon, ford n9, some chainsaws, lawn mowers and about a ton of grade 8 hardware still in the box. all for $10.000

on Friday i have to go down and help him clear it out i have already told him
if we find a bigger stihl it's mine. he assured me that i'm going to coming home with enough cr#p to make my wife kill me so here we go...

Latest posts

Back