Whats your profession, and why do you need your saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonsered2095

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
No, I don't know him, but my office is about 2 miles from the stadium, and my house is about 20 miles.

I try to be a straight shooter. Don't try to come off as a pro, since I'm just a "weekend warrior" without enough weekends to play much anymore. I'm not hung up on one brand or another, but just like a good saw. Thank you for the compliment.

Mark

You got some big saws there for a weekend warrior. I still need (need? Hmmm.) a 90+cc saw for my collection.

Ian

I do not make a living from my saw either (not day-in, day-out), but my saw is an intergral part of my living.

I am a property developer and this requires owning more than just a saw, but that saw has to fulfill its intended purpose just as it does for an arborist, a logger, or a back yard chainsaw miller. I don't hire you guys:( sorry: I do my own work.

So whats your profession and ...as above:popcorn:

I make log home accessories, railings, staircases, trim, ect. I have a CSM and 4 saws that will work on it. Most all of my saws are used in my hobbie also, chainsaw carving

daytime - IT business systems analyst

nightime - changing 66 acres from medium wooded to cleared, now have 12 acres planted in grapes, 1 acre planted in olive trees soon to be 2 acres. As I just got 200 more olive trees the other day. Doing as much of it myself as possiable to save money.
shawn
:chainsawguy:

I do commercial construction work. I could sell every saw that I own and still eat and pay the bills. I started milling wood with a CSM about a year or so ago and became addicted to chainsaws. As someone here once stated "Its better than a crack habit". Pro lly cheaper too.

Last edited:
Use saw to supplemet my income. I use them for tree removals for friends and word of mouth. Spent 5 years making shingle and shake bolts. Did some logging for a rancher Alder and Fir saw logs for the mills. Sell firewood and storm clean up. When I was layed off from the airlines in 2001 was a way to help make up for lack of income. Made in the neighbor hood of 35,000 dllars with my hobby in the past ten years.

Cheers guys. We are a diverse bunch: 6 posts and all different walks of life!!

Nice vid Chopwood. What you running?

Semiconductor Equipment Engineer...

I use my saw for firewood most of the time. Occasionally, I'll get a call from a stranger who heard through friends of neighbors that I do removals.

I'm a civilian avionics tech, working on military aircraft. I don't work with my saws at all, I play with them. Big toys for big boys don't ya know. Last year I gave away all the firewood I cut, but this year I hope to sell a little to help fund the hobby.

Ian

so many jobs.. so little time

I work at a fireplace manufacturer during the day in the IT dept. after day job go home and farm 1,000 acres with father as well as construction equipment which i do small jobs on the weekends.. saws are for cleanup around farm, cutting firewood for self, storm cleanup, and construction jobs... plus a guy has just has to have some toys....

I could trade my saws for a therapist

I am a Custom Home Builder
www.kabuilders.com

check out the site and let me know what you think.

My saws are a hobby and I would love nothing more than use wood for all of my household fuel needs.

It is also very theaputic to spend a day or so every week in the woods cutting-it seems the busier I get the more time I need in the woods- kind of a catch 22.

I think of the woods as kinda like my church since I am not church going!!.

K

Full time police officer. I put myself through school clearing building lots, logging and doing tree service work on the weekend. I always wanted a log skidder and could never afford one. I work on average 40-80 hours a week at the department. Last year I picked up a skidder. Now I mostly pick up side jobs as time allows. Mostly house lots, right of ways and logging. I also hire on as a second machine on my friends crew when he gets on big lots. I don't need to run a saw. However the satisfaction of actually seeing the fruits of a hard days work are immeasurable with me. It is also a great feeling to beat a piece of wood with a splitting maul when it just won't do what it is told.

I teach physics and push paper around at a university, I need my chainsaws to keep my students in line! :hmm3grin2orange::chainsawguy: :hmm3grin2orange: Nah - If anything I need my CSs to make lotsa noise and sawdust on weekends to help me keep my sanity during the week at work.

Dad was a faller and I grew up with CSs around the house. Woodworking has been a hobby of mine since I was about 4 years old and a couple of years ago started to devote more time to it when I finally realized how theraputic it was. Recently I got into tool making and home milling, building a 24" and the 52" alaskan mills and am getting enormous satisfaction from using them.

If he were still around my dad would be having a HUGE :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: . He slaved his guts out using a CS to send us to college and get white collar jobs. Now I would rather be fiddling with CS and milling.

Last edited:
I make gasoline, diesel fuel and tar by day or night. I have a metal fab business on the side. I got hooked on Echo saws 30 years ago when my dad and i sold them. I have few trees in my yard now....Bob

I got hooked into chainsaws as a hobby, from going to one little gtg here in Ohio a couple of years ago.
A dozen saws later and some pretty hot woods ported saws later, I am still grinning ear to ear. Its a adrenaline thing for me and relaxing.
Job, its just not a job, everyday is a adventure, 20+ years as a Correction Officer in a maximum security prison, or just call me a high priced baby sitter as I like to joke around and call it. ;)

Last edited:
Great turn out!!

I wish I could answer you all, but that would be impractical I think. Gald to be getting to know you all a little bit better. And man I think we are a high quality bunch. Glad to keep all your company. Keep it coming. Very interesting:clap: :blob2: :blob4:

My saws don't make me money, but they will save me money. (squeak-squeak Thall!!!) :laugh: They'll be used primarily for the construction of my log home. From felling and limbing, cutting logs to length, making door and window openings, slabbing joists and rafters, and for firewood.

BTW, I'm getting closer to starting that project. I just made an offer on 12.6 wooded acres.

I sell security and privacy computer consulting services to pay the bills. I think about customer procurement reps and attorneys when I'm running my saws. :)

Im retired chain saws,motorcycles,atvs,snowmobiles dealer.Ii use my saws and my clearing saws to cut logs,clearing,make firewood on my 450 acres i own,following suggestions from my forester.Too much acres to maintain though,at least for me.Doing it to keep me busy during summer and making few bucks at same times.Cut around 125 cords last year.When ill stop working on it in next few years,gonna give the land to my 2 sons .

Latest posts

Back