Whats your profession, and why do you need your saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hands on part of managing 7500 acres 350 cows 5 hired hands 3 tractor trailers 2 cats and enough other crap :buttkick: (some due to cows) to make cutting wood and milling on the weekend or whenever a must. Justify saws to tax man because we slash fencelines and mill some lumber. All I need to do to justify a new saw is hire a new guy and tell myself everybody needs a saw.:chainsaw: :rock:

Jon

I was a mechanic and now teach auto shop. I did excavating for 20+ years and specialized in hillside drilling. I have lived in the Santa Cruz Mountains since 64 and moved to my current house in 78. Wood was our only heat till I went soft and put in central heat about 5 years ago. Now I use wood for 30% of my heating needs. Only 4-5 neighbors out of 15 houses know how to use a saw and our area is heavily wooded. We have a lot of downed trees and a couple of times a year downed tree blocks the driveway. We have redwoods 8-10' diameter, oaks to 3-4' diameter, and Doug fir 3-4' diameter in the neighborhood. Most of our tan oaks up to 3' diameter are dying from a blight and there are a lot of dead trees to remove. I need the exercise more than the fire wood.

started cutting firewood when i was pretty you, it was our primary form of heating, cut for the family and sold firewood. still cut for the fam. now. I needed a job my jr. year in hs and there was a lil saw mill about a mile from my house where i grew up in the country...went and talked to them and started cutting and hauling blocks to the mill.. cut a tree down, top it, cut it into 10" long pieces and haul them to the mill. did that for the rest of hs mixed in with some weekend logging for another logging operation...right after i grad. i went to work full time for a logging crew before i went to college to play football(i mean go to school) and still logged on the weekends...transferred out of that school closer to home...and kept logging...Im now going to school (Forestry degree-only one in the entire dept. that has worked in the woods) and am still logging. now im a contract cutter-i have my own saws and logging operations call me in to cut for them...there are 6 operations pretty close in which i do this for. and then im doing some stuff on my own. when i finally get out of school im gonna expand the biz by buying a skidder(if i don't before that) and keep logging while im young and dumb. i'm a young'un!!(20-21 sept 18) that is how i got into logging. i also do a few lumberjack competitions ever year. (went to minnesota, and murray kentucky last year. and going to iowa this year)

sorry to tell the whole life story there:chainsawguy:

this thread is a good read

I'm a thinning contractor. I thin private property for fire prevention and urban interface. I like to race saws for fun, I don't win much, but I like to do it.:laugh:
So you see, I really need my saws.:chainsawguy:

Andy

Telephone Company(34yrs) Lineman now but did 20yrs digital switching and data, needed to get out. Like to fix anything I can. Love to get outside, love cutting wood. I am at my cabin for vacation now. Today my 71 year old neighbor and I cut this fir blow down. His wood for heat mine for the fire pit. I need the saws to play and make cut!!!

Last edited:
I'm a salesman who is a hack woodworker who is too cheap to buy hardwood lumber. I bought a Super XL because I wanted a saw and the price was right. I read about chainsaw milling, and bought an Alaskan and an 066. Wanted more power, so I bought a 3120 for the mill. Liked the 066 for bucking and falling, but it's a bit heavy, so I fixed up a 372.

So, in order to make my own lumber, I have a milling saw (3120), with a back-up (066). A mid-size saw (372) with a back-up (Super XL), and the ability for the 066 to back up the 372 if things get big, and a Homie 150, if the whole world goes to hell in a handbag.

Now, the saws provide my sanity. I'm a farm boy in a salesman's body. I like being outside, cutting wood, tipping the occasional tree, making some boards, and then coming up with something from them.

Mark

Profesional Photographer for 20 years:camera: and computer photo restoration,now disabled.
Occasional use of new and older chainsaws and new splitter to maintain family owned 125 wooded acres.
Primarily use is to cut dead trees and cleanup blowdowns. The Large quality blowdown trees like cherry or Maple we attempt to get out for lumber to local sawmill, the rest go for firewood.
It is getting more difficult though as our converted farm tractor is running on 6 of 8 cyl. and we do not have any version of a log haulers. I am trying to convince other members in family we NEED a log hauler to make the job easier.:deadhorse:
Then we can cut more trees down ourselves for the lumber profits.:clap: :givebeer:

I too am a professional photographer have been since 1994. I also work for a local real estate agency. For them I do photography and graphic design work. I also designed, built & maintain their website.
About 7 years ago we moved in to this house it’s on a little over 60 acres, about 50 of which is woodland. The house and property was inherited from my wife’s family. It has been in her family for over 75 years.

We heated with wood before and bought it already cut and split. With the 50 acres out back we decided to collect our own firewood. With the house we also got our first saws. A McCulloch Pro-Mac 10-10 & a Homelite super E-Z auto. The Mac is just a beast it runs great but heavy. Now the Homelite also runs great but the little saw over heats quickly cutting through the hardwoods.

Part time stay at home Dad, part time computer engineer, part time sawmiller, part time furniture builder.

Needs saws to cut down trees for #3 - so I have wood for #4. Keeps me sane after spending the week juggling #1 & #2 :biggrinbounce2:

Cheers

Ian

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Ok, first up I have been out for a few hours (day time here) and find lots of interesting posts from good people. However one of the first I read when I came back was a post from some d!ckhead calls himself "Mtnman4ever". Now I own this thread MATE! and I don't appreciate your post. There is no need to be defamitory! Do you know what defamitory means?? NO NOT DEFICATE!! THATS WHAT YOU ARE!! So you FnCK OFF YOU SH!T!!:buttkick:

To Timberhauler & RDT: thanks guys, someone had to say something, I am sorry I wasn't here when he posted:cheers: :cheers:

To everyone else: thank you for the great insights so far :clap: I hope you keep posting!:) :)

Last edited:
Now this guy has balls:hmm3grin2orange: good on ya grawil, we all :heart: ya:biggrinbounce2:

Atmospheric physicist/chemist and contributing author to the IPCC report on climate change. Excuse me while I run and duck for cover.

Eagerly waiting for the Stihl Prius.

Graham

Easy Fingers

Well, I amuse people for a living, just wiggle my little fingers and
play my geetar and play my Mississippi Saxophones, and Sing my
wee songs. Paps ran pulp trucks and made the teamsters cuts thier own
loads, I mades pocket change keeping them Poulaps and MacCoghs ins
tune and sharp, still gots the grease ins me.I use to have a really nice
collection of old saws, but I gots divorced three times, the next time I'm
gonna sends her to Thall, he gots a collection now, I'm just a poor ol
broke lizzardlip redneck now. But I do own a Stihl Thall,,,,thall?

Civil engineering tech/surveyor for NCDOT but presently working in a materials test lab. (A little boring sometimes, but safer than working on the roads.)

I use my saws & other loud toys for keeping up our little 4 acre piece of woods.

I am a timberframe designer by day, but by night I am a restorer of old things. (Not exactly a super hero!!!) I have more projects than I will ever finish. In the summer I work on my tractors (Farmall A, M and a Deere 2940), and Pick-ups (51 Chevy 1 ton, 1980 Chevy k20). I the winter I work on Snowmachines (1967, 1968 Sno-Jet, 1970 Ski-Doo TNT, 1970 Skiroule, 1987 Phazer), and CHAINSAWS!!!!!!!!!! I do use them. I cut firewood and we used to sugar, which required about 15 cord of softwood slabs cut to 3 foot lengths, but most of them rest. I do sell one now and then or trade for something else I need or want.

full time student with two jobs...
groundskeeper for the steady (but low) paycheck
and started my own tree trimming and removal business in january

mechanic"work on anything from a weedtrimmer to a cat",when not doing that stuff I clean up tops for firewood after logging.

Latest posts

Back