Why are the old Stihl 028's not selling good anymore?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
205251d1320185016-downsized_1101111753-jpg

fixed it...

Thanks Hedge!!:dizzy:

Does anyone have or know where I can get an OEM jug and piston for an 028 Super, I think its the 46mm cylinder. BTW, if I was going to make this a saw that had some mods done to it (I have never hopped up a saw before) should I consider a different jug and piston, and what are some other mods that can be done to these saws? Thanks for your time. Paul

Does anyone have or know where I can get an OEM jug and piston for an 028 Super, I think its the 46mm cylinder. BTW, if I was going to make this a saw that had some mods done to it (I have never hopped up a saw before) should I consider a different jug and piston, and what are some other mods that can be done to these saws? Thanks for your time. Paul

To get the results you want, you'll have to port it... Muffler mods on those saws help, but won't wow ya...

I just don't understand why one of the best little saws ever made has lost alot of it's appeal to collectors and users. I recently got a nice little 028 Super powerhead that had been sitting so long that the carb adjustment screws were "stuck", and needed some PB Blaster to turn, but it cranked and ran with fresh fuel(as it was). I looked on fee-bay, and it seems that folks can't give them away hardly. I'm gonna put a new 18" bar and chain on mine and keep it for firewood. They are fun to cut with. Not gonna buy any more saws, though.....:laugh::laugh:

I just sold one on ebay for 250.00

AFAIK the super top end is NLA. Has been for a couple of years now.
The Tecomec replacement has a good reputation and is quite affordable.

44105 - Stihl 028 Super Cylinder & Piston Assembly. | MFG Supply

AFAIK the super top end is NLA. Has been for a couple of years now.
The Tecomec replacement has a good reputation and is quite affordable.

44105 - Stihl 028 Super Cylinder & Piston Assembly. | MFG Supply

I second that. If you are going to port it anyway, it would be of little consequence to use aftermarket. I have found the chrome on the OEM 028 jugs to be very hard. Do you have a scored OEM one you're replacing? It might be salvageable.

Muffler mod made a big difference on my 028 super.

Squish adjustment and muffler mod made quite a little hot rod out of my Super too.....It's still one of my favorite limbing saws.:rock:

I just sold an 028 for $280, and the guy even asked me to put some uglier top plastic on it, because he's taking it with him to Mexico, for the local guys to trim palm trees with.....He says, "Trust me it don't need to be pretty"!:msp_biggrin:

i picked up a 028 super off another member here that was gasketless and had a nice muffler mod that thing was strong for a 50cc saw:rock:

wtb 028

if you have a nice 028 f0r sale please pm me a cousin of mine is looking for one to cut firewood thanks

Those 028's are such a well built and reliable saw. No saw under $500 is comparable IMHO. They're a great homeowner/firewood saw. Wouldn't want to work one all day, but not many of us do anyway.

Back