Wife says I can get a new saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigoakhunter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to this forum, but seems to be lots of good information, opinions and general good natured banter. I just got $400 dollars i was not expecting. We burn 100 wood for heat at home. And since it has been a long winter already and the wife knows I have had the same chainsaw for around 20 yrs. she said get a new one. (not that I could not have anyways, but for it to be her idea ROCKS!) I have been running a 028 Super for all these years. A super reliable saw. My criteria to replace/upgrade is as follows:

1. $300 to $600 dollars ( I could add $200 if needed)
2.Must be reliable, I am not very handy as far as maintenance goes
3. Should run /cut quicker than my 51.5 cc current saw.
4. Lighter than or at least not much heavier than current saw(in my 50's)
5. Stihl preffered, but will listen to other ideas for a really reliable mid range saw that is not too heavy
6. I cut 10 8- 11 cords per year, mostly red oak, maple and some popal.
Thanks alot for the help! Dave

Wrong Dolmar 7300 or 7900! Actually the 6400 would work in your price range! Also Jonsere 2156 would be another to look at! My vote 7900!:)

yep, 361, but its heavier. You might see if you can try a MS260. More power than the 028S, and lighter I believe.

Go with the 361

I should have read this closer when I saw the 361 comment! MS260 Maybe not sure what you current 50cc saw is so it may or maynot out saw it! Husky 346xp Jonsered 2153 or my pick Dolmar PS5100:)

What you need to do is go to dealerships and put a few saws in your price range in your hands, and see what you like as far as balance and ergonomics. If the dealer(s) will let you test cut with some in a log out back, so much the better.

You're going to get the same standard 17 models recommended to you here in this forum that are recommended to everyone who comes on here asking "What saw should I buy?"

Last edited:
What you need to do is go to dealerships and put a few saws in your price range in your hands, and see what you like as far as balance and ergonomics. If the dealer(s) will let you test cut with some in a log out back, so much the better.

You're going to get the same standard 17 models recommended to you here in this forum that are recommended to everyone who comes on here asking "What saw should I buy?"

Best advice so far... :) :agree2: :agree2:

Gary

I like my dolmar. Great power and features for the money. Start with a 6400 or the makita version. You can have good power that way and still be on a good budget. Then upgrade to 7900 if you want.

Realistically to out cut an 028Super your gonna have to step up to a 60cc class saw.Get the MS361.

A Dolmar 5100S will not out cut an 028S in good shape.A 346XP might be faster but won't have the grunt.

By the way.......whatcha' gonna do with that old 028?

Last edited:
Back