Wife says I can get a new saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yea! In fact I have yet to see a 50cc saw touch a 5100 with the exception of the 2153 jonsered and an old 2051c jonsered!

I've actually got 2 028S's.The 5100 I bought new about a year ago and had 10-12 tanks through it at the time.

5100/18" 028S/20"

The 028's out cut it every time.All muffler modded.

What was really funny was a friend pulled out his 49SP and spanked them all.

I liked the 028's so much I gave away the 5100...........

something is wrong I have two 49sp and they will hold there own but they do not have the rpm or power of a 5100! In fact they are what 2500 rpm slower!

I would buy a saw that has the best dealer support. I am a Stihl guy, because my dealer is awsome. The nearest Husky and Dolmar dealer is 30-45 miles away.

Personally I would stick to Stihl, Husky or Dolmar.

In your price range

Stihl
MS260 or MS361

Husky (dont know there prices)
346 or 357

Dolmar (dont know there prices)

Me personally I would stick with a pro saw. I am one who likes to buy something once even though it costs a little more.

I have to agree check the dealers and see what feels best but you are going to need to look in the 60-70cc class. All the saws mentioned are good saws but everybody is different in what they like I can say my favorite is the 7900 but I have heard good things about the 5100 dolmar but the dealers are hard to find.

I don't have the history of his 49SP but it is a screamer.The only work I know of is a muffler mod I did on it.And it runs about 13,800 at WOT.

attachment.php

This was just one of them fun days.

Go for the gold! get the 361 and never look back. I agree with the previous poster, you have a great wife.

Now this throws up a red flag.. You have so much money your just giving away a 1 year old saw???

How can I say.... I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!!!!!

Believe what you want...........

Have'nt been called a liar in a long time though..............careful.

And no I don't have a lot of money.

Believe what you want...........

Have'nt been called a liar in a long time though..............careful.

And no I don't have a lot of money.

:popcorn: :sword:

Now back to which saw. If you can swing the extra $$$, you should really look at the Dolmar 7900. This is a link to one of our sponsors on the site. http://www.amickssuperstore.com/
I believe this saw is more on the lines of what your looking for than a Stihl 361. It has an excellent power to weight ratio.

I've actually got 2 028S's.The 5100 I bought new about a year ago and had 10-12 tanks through it at the time.

5100/18" 028S/20"

The 028's out cut it every time.All muffler modded.

What was really funny was a friend pulled out his 49SP and spanked them all.

I liked the 028's so much I gave away the 5100...........

The 5100 was donated to a good cause, wasn't it? :clap: :clap:

I believe your story, it is just that there are quite a few variables that is not accounted for.......:greenchainsaw:

:popcorn: :sword:

Now back to which saw. If you can swing the extra $$$, you should really look at the Dolmar 7900. This is a link to one of our sponsors on the site. http://www.amickssuperstore.com/
I believe this saw is more on the lines of what your looking for than a Stihl 361. It has an excellent power to weight ratio.

I don't believe he wants the close to 2lbs added weight, judging by his post......

4. Lighter than or at least not much heavier than current saw(in my 50's)

The MS361 sure is the ticket here!

Last edited:
Troll, he may not like the extra 2lbs. But my dad is 73 yrs. old and he doesn't have any problems running my 390XP for the day. I would rather get the job done quicker. It is a trade off to me. Handle the lighter saw longer or put the heavier saw down sooner. 6 of one or a half dozen of the other. JMO.

I'm saving up for a 5100 to fill the gap b/n my J-red & 3410. I picked one up (5100) at a dealer and was impressed by how it felt!

A bit of HP either way is less important to me than a little weight either way:D

Pop was right -- I did ruin my back!

Oh yea! In fact I have yet to see a 50cc saw touch a 5100 with the exception of the 2153 jonsered and an old 2051c jonsered!

The 5100 in stock form isn't really all that impressive. I put a new MS-260 top end on a clean 024 Super bottom end and that was a much better saw than the stock 5100.

Latest posts

Back