Do you burn pine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pine is our (my wife and I) personal favorite. It burns really well & we like the aroma it gives off. We have Napoleon stoves that do the '2nd burn thing' at the top of the firebox. Once our firebox is up to temp, even burning pine there is no smoke coming out the chimney. Most of what would cling to or go out of the chimney is burned up. You get heat from the same wood twice...it is really neat to watch! :popcorn:

The only hardwood I burn is stuff I get for free from my yard.

Got a load of two year pine burning right now. Been burning pine for many years without a stitch of trouble. Cut in the spring and burn in the fall seems to dry it just fine. If you properly maintain your equipment you should have no worry about any fire other than in the fire box. We get calls about blow down coast pine every winter, none goes to waste. Like any wood the longer the better for seasoning. 6mo or so is what we do for everything but the hard woods around here.

Owl

I don't burn a lot of it, but the rule for me is if it dies, it burns. That includes pine, box elder, birch, and poplar, as well as maple, oak, and cherry.

See quote below
VVVVVVVVVVVVV

The same folks that say Pine causes Creosote, will also tell you Chocolate gives dogs worms...but can't tell ya why or how.;)

If it's wood, cut it, split it, and let it dry for a year, and you will have no issues.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I usually burn pine for kindling or small fires, due to the availability of hardwoods, which as we know burn for longer. This year the hard wood has come up short and I will gladly and proudly burn some pine that is on hand. I love the smell of it (prefer cedar), and look forward to adding it to the pile, when I can get it split, it has a good 2 years season on it, and it should be a solid cord of it.

i love burning pine.
I use it to start fires, it takes the chill off pretty quick. I only have so much hardwood, so i burn the pine when im around the house and throw the hardwood in for overnight.

I got ahold of a white pine that a tree service took down for a church down the road this spring. I split most of it and used it to start my OWB this season. It got the stove up to temp in record time, compared to elm or soft maple (which is what I burn most, about 1\4 ash.). I did notice some creosote built up on the sides of my firebox, but this goes back to what Haywood said, it burns for five minutes and is choked out for a few hours. If someone knows what there doing it isn't a problem in indoor stoves.

Kyle

Anyone out there with this type of stove.

I just bought it this year, I have questions about its operation! Someone with experience with this type, please respond!

The correct way to get an answer is to start your own thread asking for help instead of highjacking this tread about burning pine.

Oh, welcome to AS!

i suppose if you cant get anything else it will work for you once seasoned correctly .personally i wont burn it ,sure it wont burn the house down or cause excessive creosote like the rumors people say but it still takes twice the wood twice the cutting twice the stacking twice the loading and then it doesnt release heat the same way as the premo hardwood like oak and sugar maple,a big seasoned split has pitch in it and weighs practicly nothing . im into long burn times and pine is gopher wood ,toss one log in ...and go-pher another.

im into long burn times and pine is gopher wood ,toss one log in ...and go-pher another.

What do you define as a 'long burn time'? I find myself adding wood to my stove every few hours but that doesn't seem frequent to me.

Wow thanks for all the info. Where I live you can get all the free pine you want, most people pay to get rid of it or just bring it to the dump. Gee I guess I never thought of going dump picking for fire wood before:D, there are huge piles of pine in one corner of our transfer station. I have just started burning pine and it is nice to get the chill out and it starts very easy, then when that dies down I throw some oak in the stove to keep it going all night. I guess all the people talking trash about burning pine had me all woried.

Burning pine tonight

I have 7 cords of hardwood and 2 cords of pine. Dry pine burns HOT. Good for knocking the chill out of the house in the fall.

If it'll sustain a flame, then I'll burn it. I burn a lot of pine during the day and load up on hardwood for the overnight. We get more creosote out of hardwood than dry pine because the stove has to be choked down so much at night with the hardwood.

I got desperate last lear and bought 1 load of firewood for my OWB. it was feb, snow on the ground and no 4X4 to get to my usuall spots. when the guy showed up, he spent a long time asking about the stove, then somehow pine was brought up. he said he has a tree removal service and had 6 big pines to cut out over the next couple of days. no one around here would think of burning pine, so he asked me if i knew a good dumping ground close by!!! I offered him a little money to dump it here, but he said he would not feel right about making money on it twice (someone with morals! i thought we were almost all gone!). in the end, i slipped his helper some cash when ever i caught them at the house, and they brought me a LOT of pine, all cut to lenght, and stacked it in my shed for me. i started my stove last month and i must say i have got no problem burning pine. I have only one bit of advice... i add some hard wood the the bottom of the pile when i load the stove. two days in a row the fire actually went out when the stove shut down. It doesnt seem to break down into loose hot coals like other wood does, i think that had something to do with it.

I got desperate last lear and bought 1 load of firewood for my OWB. it was feb, snow on the ground and no 4X4 to get to my usuall spots. when the guy showed up, he spent a long time asking about the stove, then somehow pine was brought up. he said he has a tree removal service and had 6 big pines to cut out over the next couple of days. no one around here would think of burning pine, so he asked me if i knew a good dumping ground close by!!! I offered him a little money to dump it here, but he said he would not feel right about making money on it twice (someone with morals! i thought we were almost all gone!). in the end, i slipped his helper some cash when ever i caught them at the house, and they brought me a LOT of pine, all cut to lenght, and stacked it in my shed for me. i started my stove last month and i must say i have got no problem burning pine. I have only one bit of advice... i add some hard wood the the bottom of the pile when i load the stove. two days in a row the fire actually went out when the stove shut down. It doesnt seem to break down into loose hot coals like other wood does, i think that had something to do with it.

You may want to clean your chimney a bit more often than usual, when burning pine......:)

I'm burning Pine right now. Well, I guess it's a mix, 2 peices of Pine and 1 piece of Doug Fir. I have to put a piece or 2 in every 3 or 4 hours unless I shut it down. 22 degrees outside, 74 degrees inside. I can't see a problem with Pine myself, especially when I look at the price of propane.

Andy

Back