Toyotas in the Woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen some Taco's do some gnarly stuff:jawdrop: Particularly at Moab.

And without a doubt, get the locker.

If you ever get the chance, in the Southern Sierra, you can take Sherman Pass. Awesome trail.

DSCF0727.jpg

I've seen 1960s Datsun 2wd pickups tackle some really gnarly trails.

Jimmy, remember our GTG and the trucks that were coming up that trail near our cutting area. No 2WD would have made that trail:dizzy:

But I have seen them in some gnarly stuff. Will never forget the time this Chevy 2WD was having a hard time getting up these rocks. He put it in reverse and we heard him yell out..."let's do this:censored:!"

:jawdrop:

Damn if he didn't re-invent the bucking bronco! He made it though and with no damage:clap: No doubt, when it doubt, throttle out!

I realize that this is the exception rather than the rule, but I once watched a kid in a tiny little Ford Ranger float over a mud bog with several full-sized rigs (including my old '60 Willys) stuck in up to their hoods as obstacles to drift around. Dude was an impressive driver.

That said, I pretty much killed a 1/2 ton Chevy working here over the last couple of years, including a thrown rod and extensive body damage, through nothing more than just getting around in the woods during all seasons, and, of course, turning around on poorly-maintained trails. Now I'm driving a 1-T Dodge, and it's holding up much better. The short wheelbase helps a lot, but the better clearance and flat bed are the real winners. Poor Chevy took most of its damage to the bottom of the bed.

UNBELIEVABLE!!

I have the Seattle news on and they just showed cars that were abandoned last night because the cars could not make it up a hill. One was

A TACOMA!

I thought Tacomas could make it anywhere? I did not see any Subarus.

maybe it didnt have some sort of limited slip (or whatever toyota calls it) ? its usually an option you have to pay extra for(not sure about toyotas)
its surprising how useless a 4x4 is with only 2 wheels turning

maybe it didnt have some sort of limited slip (or whatever toyota calls it) ? its usually an option you have to pay extra for(not sure about toyotas)
its surprising how useless a 4x4 is with only 2 wheels turning

I dunno, while I agree that a locker or at least limited slip on one or both axles is a HUGE improvement, 4x4 with standard open diffs are still pretty darn impressive. At least my Ranger is.

I dunno, while I agree that a locker or at least limited slip on one or both axles is a HUGE improvement, 4x4 with standard open diffs are still pretty darn impressive. At least my Ranger is.

thats cause its a ford!
fords are just better.. just like stihls

yes, im being serious :D :popcorn:

I cut with a diehard Husky guy yesterday and he seemed dissappointed that I didn't give a damn about brand loyalty. My appreciation for his 390 made him almost have to consider the value in my hopped up 660. I wonder if he cried himself to sleep last night.

I cut with a diehard Husky guy yesterday and he seemed dissappointed that I didn't give a damn about brand loyalty. My appreciation for his 390 made him almost have to consider the value in my hopped up 660. I wonder if he cried himself to sleep last night.

I never have been loyal to a brand neither...if it is a good machine, it has my appreciation. I have about equal hours on Husky and Stihl and Stihl can't make up my mind which I like best. I have not ran huskies since the days of 394's so I would like a crack at a few of the newer ones.

Got my sweet 5 passenger snowmobile home. Old Snuffy flew up my road without a slip or slide. Ahhh, mobile again. He has to go back in because shipments of things like catalytic converters are running late.

If I don't have a Tacoma, a Subaru is the next best thing.

Probably not cause a hopped up 390 will cut faster then the 660, he's probably getting it modded as we speak.

hmmmmmmmmm.............

thats cause its a ford!
fords are just better.. just like stihls

yes, im being serious :D :popcorn:

people have been know to be dead serious while 3 sheets to the wind or stoned out of their gord.

Back