Toyotas in the Woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a 89 yota with 210,000 very hard miles on it, that truk has been overloaded more times than not with 2 cubes of brick, hundreds of blocks through the years. and wood, lots of wood. It has never let me set. those 22re motors are the standard of the industry. It gets around in my back yard with no problem and is the go to vehicle in any kind of bad weather. Plowed through 2+ feet of snow to get my son medicine years ago. Never skipped a beat. Had it since 1991 and it will go with me to my grave. Best Da&* truck in the world. Bury me in my toyota truck. Thats all.

i have an 06 ranger 4x4, 5spd with the 4l engine and my woodcutting buddy has an 03 ranger 4x4,5spd with 3l. He is constantly wishing he had bought the 4l engine, the fuel mileage between the rigs is the same and the 4l has way more power. He is miserable driving it when its loaded down or towing anything. Both have plenty of clearance and do well in the snow. Usually use my F250 for the woodcutting trips though, with an 8x16 trailer.

You guys are talking in a foreign language now. I just want a pickup, that is decent to drive, can go to town, or on a long trip, get me into the secret huckleberry patches, and won't swill a lot of gasoline. Oh, it also needs to be a nice color, have room for The Used Dog, and be able to haul some firewood or skis or other people's dogs. Air conditioning and cruise control are must haves.

No carpet, if possible. :)

I have a 2009 Tacoma TRD Sport. I love everything about it except the fact its standard. i have driven standard since my 1st vehicle and love it except for this. The EPA and all the electronic stuff ruined it. You get used to it but its not fun or a pleasure anymore...its liek work driving.

Anyways besides for being standard the truck is awesome. The 4.0l makes awesome power. I put 1 quad in the bed and tow the trailer with another quad and you do not even know they are there. The truck is comfortable, handles and stops well and the 4x4 is toyota quality. Also has great ground clearance and the bed from the factory is composite like material that wont dent or rust out or scrape all up like a truck w/o a liner. Also has a 120v outlet in the bed so you can run like a radio or stuff out where there is no power. The tie downs in the bed are great and can be moved all around to.

I'm the type of person who drives a vehicle for 2 years and is ready to get rid of it cause i want something new. When i can afford to get rid of this soon im gonna get the same truck again but only automatic. now that tells ya something. I've been a jeep fan all my life to but i love this truck.

The next one is gonna get the factory super charger though. This truck is really quick already...imagine another 65hp :cheers:

Less the 100 miles old in these pics!
DSC03332.jpg

DSC03333.jpg

i have an 06 ranger 4x4, 5spd with the 4l engine and my woodcutting buddy has an 03 ranger 4x4,5spd with 3l. He is constantly wishing he had bought the 4l engine, the fuel mileage between the rigs is the same and the 4l has way more power.

Same mpg? What are you guys getting for mileage? I get 21mpg average in my 3.0 equipped 4x4 supercab...never seen a 4x4 4.0 do that myself. Also, tell your buddy to put the gears to her, the 3.0 needs 4.10 gears or lower to do any real work. My truck came with them because of either the Off Road package or the factory Tow Package (I have both, not sure which gave me the gears since I bought the truck used).

Same mpg? What are you guys getting for mileage? I get 21mpg average in my 3.0 equipped 4x4 supercab...never seen a 4x4 4.0 do that myself. Also, tell your buddy to put the gears to her, the 3.0 needs 4.10 gears or lower to do any real work. My truck came with them because of either the Off Road package or the factory Tow Package (I have both, not sure which gave me the gears since I bought the truck used).

I got 22 highway with my 4.0 and 4:10 gears. Never got less than 21 on the highway unless I was running studded snow tires.

I cruise my trails with this thing: not a Toyota but a Suzuki Carry Mini Truck. I can get almost half a cord unsplit in the bed.

003-9.jpg

I cruise my trails with this thing: not a Toyota but a Suzuki Carry Mini Truck. I can get almost half a cord unsplit in the bed.

That's cool. Never seen one of those before. Closest thing I've seen in the US (Ca at least) is the Rhino/Ranger/Pilot side-by-side ATV based rigs and the JD Gator type vehicles. That looks a bit bigger and more robust than either of those types of rigs, and about the size of an old FlatFender Jeep. I like the solid rear axle. Most of the SBS rigs are IRS now. What transmission and engine options are available with those? Wonder if we can get those in Ca. I see a license bracket setup on the front..............are those street legal in your state?

the bed from the factory is composite like material that wont dent or rust out or scrape all up like a truck w/o a liner.

and we all know how great toyota trucks track record for rust is :dizzy:
:greenchainsaw:

and to all those guys claiming 20+ mpg highway in ANY truck.. does this mean you are driving 55mph on flat ground in overdrive? around here youll get run off the road going under 70-

Last edited:
so if the OP is lookin for a used taco, i think the main thing to consider would be which years were effected with the rust issue, and weather or not the previous owner has brought it back for its "recall" (a new frame, correct?)
and then at that point, do you want a truck thats been totally taken apart and put back together to have the frame replaced?
not bashing toyota, but i think its odd no one has brought this up yet in a thread about tacos

I got 22 highway with my 4.0 and 4:10 gears. Never got less than 21 on the highway unless I was running studded snow tires.

4x4? Most guys with the 4.0 I know are getting 15-16mpg average, 18mpg highway. I get 22 highway and 20-21 normal driving. I expect that the lack of difference between the two there is due to the 4.10 gears and 31" tall tires. The worst I've ever gotten was stop and go traffic for almost a full tank in the winter and I got 17mpg.

and we all know how great toyota trucks track record for rust is :dizzy:
:greenchainsaw:

and to all those guys claiming 20+ mpg highway in ANY truck.. does this mean you are driving 55mph on flat ground in overdrive? around here youll get run off the road going under 70-

My normal driving is between 45 and 60mph, I consider "highway" the interstate, 65mph speed limit and I go 70mph in 5th gear.

4x4? Most guys with the 4.0 I know are getting 15-16mpg average, 18mpg highway. I get 22 highway and 20-21 normal driving. I expect that the lack of difference between the two there is due to the 4.10 gears and 31" tall tires. The worst I've ever gotten was stop and go traffic for almost a full tank in the winter and I got 17mpg.

4x4 automatic, extended cab with 255/70-16 tires. Your friends must be heavy with the gas pedal. I have mileage reports for the entire time I had my last Ranger, about 77,000 miles worth. If I averaged every tank I would guess it would be around 19mpg with all driving. I pulled a 5x8 loaded UHaul from Maine to PA and still got 17mpg the entire way.

Last edited:
That's cool. Never seen one of those before. Closest thing I've seen in the US (Ca at least) is the Rhino/Ranger/Pilot side-by-side ATV based rigs and the JD Gator type vehicles. That looks a bit bigger and more robust than either of those types of rigs, and about the size of an old FlatFender Jeep. I like the solid rear axle. Most of the SBS rigs are IRS now. What transmission and engine options are available with those? Wonder if we can get those in Ca. I see a license bracket setup on the front..............are those street legal in your state?

Mini Trucks are a separate class of vehicle in Japan. They come in various configurations, and all the Japanese manufacturers make a version (Toyotas are marketed under Daihatsu for mini trucks).

Anyways, there are many gray market importers of these trucks, mostly in the 4X4 version. Then you can add lift kits, camo, big tires, etc. Suzuki models are the easiest to modify into serious off road vehicles. I bought this truck for $4000, which is about the going rate for a moderately used 4X4. I have about $2000 into it. This one does not have AC or power steering, but many do. It does have heat, windshield washer, driver's airbag, nice stereo (I installed) shift on the fly 4WD, Hi-Lo. Almost all of them are 5 speed manual tranny. The engines are all regulated at 660cc, which with stock tires will get them up to 60 mph or so. The suzuki has a nice 3 cylinder fuel injection system, and the thing runs awesome.

There is a whole forum on mini trucks, http://www.minitrucktalk.com/

You can def get one in Ca, but good luck getting it street legal. Some states allow them on the road. Out on my farm I slapped a orange triangle on the back, and I don't bring it into town.

My ranger with the 4L has 4;10 gears and gets 17 town and 22 highway which is identical to my friends 3L with 3;73 gears. Both are supercab 4x4.

4x4 automatic, extended cab with 255/70-16 tires. Your friends must be heavy with the gas pedal. I have mileage reports for the entire time I had my last Ranger, about 77,000 miles worth. If I averaged every tank I would guess it would be around 19mpg with all driving. I pulled a 5x8 loaded UHaul from Maine to PA and still got 17mpg the entire way.

It's not just my friends. All the guys on therangerstation.com as well. The 4.0 guys are always complaining about cruddy mileage. The 4.0 4x4 autos normally get in the ballpark of 15-16 mpg, heck, even the 3.0 4x4 autos only get 17mpg most of the time. I think you are the oddity here. Although in this case it is a good thing.

It's not just my friends. All the guys on therangerstation.com as well. The 4.0 guys are always complaining about cruddy mileage. The 4.0 4x4 autos normally get in the ballpark of 15-16 mpg, heck, even the 3.0 4x4 autos only get 17mpg most of the time. I think you are the oddity here. Although in this case it is a good thing.

That's good for me I guess, but I find it hard to believe that people are getting below 19mpg. I have owned 2, 4.0 Rangers a 2003 that I wrecked and my 2004. Both were identical setups and got similar mileage. Granted I don't do much or any city driving but I always got above EPA sticker mileage. For what the 4.0 is pulling around I would expect to get 25mpg highway from a small truck. Why can't small trucks (any brand) get much better mileage than a full size? For comparison, my 4.6L F150 gets 19.5mpg highway. The truck is a lot bigger, weighs more, and gets similar mileage to any compact pickup with a V6. Hopefully the 2012 Ranger does better. The current platform is done at the end of 2011. I hope they keep all the good stuff and improve on everything else. The current Ranger is just too small for what I need but I LOVE that truck.

Latest posts

Back