small saw for limbing question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad_ruch

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hey I'm looking for a small saw for limbing.I don't wanna spend a ton of money on one.for instants I had a MS170 stihl.and liked it.but I had to sell it :( I was thinking of getting another husky.i have a 266XP now and love it.if I could find a smaller saw that even needed some work on it would be fine.and suggestions??thanks

Are you looking for a top handle or rear handle saw?

There will be the usual chatter regarding Stihl vs. Husqvarna vs. Echo vs. (insert manufacturer). My best advice is to find a local full service dealer who stocks several brands and go see them. You can talk to someone who knows saws and hold them in your hands to see how they feel.

A lot of it will boil down to having a dealer that can support you close by.

Last edited:
+1

In the stihl range the 180C is pretty good, and light. In the huski a 340 makes a real nice limbing saw, but bigger than the stihl obviously. 340 and 346 are my favourite huskis and I dont really like huskis at all. A 14" or 16" bar is about right. Any more just gets in the way.

Shaun

poulan

hey I'm looking for a small saw for limbing.I don't wanna spend a ton of money on one.for instants I had a MS170 stihl.and liked it.but I had to sell it :( I was thinking of getting another husky.i have a 266XP now and love it.if I could find a smaller saw that even needed some work on it would be fine.and suggestions??thanks

look for a low miles real cheap craigslist poulan from joe homeowner who used it three times. 40 something CCs fits with your use criteria. Put a smallish bar on it. Keep it clean. Adjust the carb, do a MM whatever. You can get them for fifty bucks all day long. There's a lot of parts interchangeability with the smaller huskys. Come apart easy. Work just fine really. Only thing I have noticed with them and the little husky is back behind the oiler, behind the clutch and sprocket, they build up some crud and can impact the oiler so that needs to be pulled and cleaned occasionally. And go around and retighten all the bolts, carb to cylinder, cylinder head, etc. And the muffler, I have read here they do better with a lock washer.

I Like my Husqvarba 345

10.1 lbs, 3 HP. Excellent saw for the $$. Too bad they recently discontinued them, but you might be able to find a good used one. A fun saw to use.

Where do you plan to do limbing...on or off the ground?

If you are a climber or work in a lift basket you can effectively use a top handle saw. But if limbing on the ground, stick with a rear handle lighter calibre saw that would have good dealer support. Some reliable brands and models have already been posted. I currently have 12 saws in the brands of Echo, Stihl, Shindaiwa and Tanaka. I've heard that the Makita's are light weight and durable saws.

I have a poulan pro 42cc 18"bar for limbing and small trees.I also have a stihl ms310 for the big stuff.Great combo.Don't get caught up on brand name and pro stuff.Just get something that works for you.Homeowner saws are good for what there supposed to be used for.Keep it simple.

Correcty as always ....

Not quite that light, but still a very good saw for what it is!

My typing fingers are thick. Husky 345 powerhead = 10.4 lbs. Still pretty light for 3 HP. I have a lot of fun with that saw and a good sharp chisel chain!

I will never understand the "ground limbing saw." All that work and time chainging saws around you'd save in the long run. Muscles boys, muscles.

Back