Echo CS-300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homelite XL

Any thoughts about this saw (you may have to coy and paste it):
VERY NICE HOMELITE XL AUTOMATIC 12" GAS CHAINSAW | eBay

I have started to look for top handle saws under 100 bucks. I haven't done much searching, but I think a Stihl is definitely out of the question. I have heard good things about older Homelites but never seen or used one. I would be using the saw for climbing, but not very often. It is only side jobs that pop up.

those reed valve echo's are what you should be looking at. They had a billion model number variations but are all similar. Heck, even that non running one would be a great place to start. All we are sayin is that it isn't worth $100. Talk her down a ways and get it. They are not high powered, but they are durable and reliable

The reed valve Echos are a sick, sick, sick joke. Absolutely piss-weak with 0.9 KW output claimed from the sleazy lying Echo factory which means in real life about 0.75 KW. I'm not joking when I tell you those Echos are shyte in the extreme. Mountainlake is all shirty today so expect another burst of Echo propaganda nonsense to come thru soon. But ignore the hyperbole and stay the hell away from reed valve Echos and find something that can cut without stalling. You won't regret it. Even an old 30 dollar top-handle Poulan XXV is a waaay superior choice

Haha! yeah.....they are very very weak. That is completely accurate. Very slow to get to full throttle and very low revving too. But, the ones I've used get abused and keep working for years and years. That's why I suggested a good place to start for a sub $100 buck top handle. What the heck else can you buy for a C note? Not much else in the used TH market

mountainlake says he doesn't know anything about them so I'm curious to see his opinion. I've used em a bunch and wrenched on them too. Built pretty well, run pretty slow ;)

The reed valve Echos are a sick, sick, sick joke. Absolutely piss-weak with 0.9 KW output claimed from the sleazy lying Echo factory which means in real life about 0.75 KW. I'm not joking when I tell you those Echos are shyte in the extreme. Mountainlake is all shirty today so expect another burst of Echo propaganda nonsense to come thru soon. But ignore the hyperbole and stay the hell away from reed valve Echos and find something that can cut without stalling. You won't regret it. Even an old 30 dollar top-handle Poulan XXV is a waaay superior choice

Any thoughts about this saw (you may have to coy and paste it):
VERY NICE HOMELITE XL AUTOMATIC 12" GAS CHAINSAW | eBay

I have started to look for top handle saws under 100 bucks. I haven't done much searching, but I think a Stihl is definitely out of the question. I have heard good things about older Homelites but never seen or used one. I would be using the saw for climbing, but not very often. It is only side jobs that pop up.

that homelite will give you white knuckle so fast you won't believe it. Ten minutes and you won't feel your hand for a week. the tingle zingers that keep on keepin on

A weak TH saw equals frustration, sore wrists, sore elbows and sore arms along with a sore head. Meanwhile the old Homelites, poulans and the 009 stihl are right up there for some good ole nerve-damage, white finger and knuckle-lock all in one hehe

Latest posts

Back